Install XR fender flares

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
They do not fit all models without modification. People have taken different approaches from heating them to cutting slits in order for them to conform to sport/willys fenders. I would suggest going back to see those specific posts.

If you are not comfortable with modifying them I can help with return assuming you purchased them from us.

Thanks,
- Benny
Thanks for the response. Sorry I did start to go back and did see where someone installed them on a Willys and they indeed are not a direct fit.

They are Mopar flares but I got them off a forum member. I love the look of the XR flares and have since they first came out. I also have zero offset wheels now witch makes the tires stick out about an inch past the fenders so I actually need them besides just for looks.

I have no doubt I can get them installed I am a do it myself kinda person so I can get it done.

Was just needing clarification so I knew what I was in for. It will be a little more difficult and take longer.

Thanks Benny
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Need a little help. I have read through this months back. I talked to Benny about these.

My understanding is that they fit any models.

I guess I missed something though because I have a 2021 Willys sport and recently got some XR fender flares.

The holes don't come close to lining up with the OPs write up. In fact the rear ones seem a little too long at the front of the fender.

Question is, has anyone installed these on a anything other than a Rubicon? Or is there different P/Ns for a sport?

Thanks.
Even on a Rubicon extra holes need to be drilled...

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
I ordered the XR fender flares a while ago and they arrived today. Took me about 1hr 20min to do and that was figuring out what is needed and taking all the pics to do this write up. I did it during my lunch break (was working at home). I would guess most people could do this in an hour or less.
One thing I was surprised by is each fender requires drilling 3 additional holes, but this is into plastic so it is easy.

IMG_0237.jpg

Here is what I did and what I used:

Tools:
- Drill​
- 1/8 & 1/4 inch drill bits (3mm & 6mm)​
- Plastic rivet tool (this is the one I thought looked good and it worked well for me, Amazon)​
- 6 x 30mm plastic rivets (Link broken, Company might have removed product, leaving link in case it comes back image below for what you need- Amazon ones I thought looked good and happy with how they performed)​
- Trim tool, christmas tree tool or small screw driver to remove drilled out rivets​
- Angled cutters or knife. I have a pair of cutters that are straight bladed and they work great for this or zipties when you're snipping up against a surface. Highly recommend a set if you don't have one already.​
image of fender rivet:​
rivet.jpg

Parts: I'd recommend talking to Benny @AllMoparParts.com, for OEM parts. Great prices and customer service.
- XR rubicon fender flares (set of 4 - PN: JLRECONFLAREEXT)
68536652AA (front right)​
68536653AA (front left)​
68536654AA (rear right)​
68536655AA (rear left)​

How they are packaged. My fronts were a little twisted when installing but they worked themselves out ok. If yours are really bad you could soften with a little heat from a heatgun to help form them as needed. Just be careful to not over heat them.
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

A quick how to use these rivets, yeah its basic, but if someone hasn't before it lets them see what is done before they have parts in hand to figure it out.
rivettool.jpg

Because of the loose fit, I had to put them in the gun. Push the gun firmly against the surface (perpendicular to surface) and then squeeze the handle. I found for this gun, rivets and application I had to reset and squeeze again because the pull wasn't long enough.
IMG_0216.jpg

Rear Install
I started in the rear. Clean the area you're doing the install and dry.
Drill out the 5 existing rivets that need to be removed with 1/8in drill bit. Red arrows show which.
rear01.jpg

Pull the rivets out of the fender. I used this tool, but a trim tool or small screw driver will work. Do your best to not scratch the fenders, I didn't scratch mine but I think they look like they would scratch easy.
rear02.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

A note about drilling out the rivets.
The fenders (F & R) are hollow and I think I found all my rivet tips in the driveway with a little shaking of the fender and liner. If I missed any I'm sure they will shake themselves out in a short while. If you're concerned by this, you can pull back the fender liner to pull any that don't immediately fall out, but I wouldn't worry. You remove the rivet and it is just a 1/4in piece of the rivet head that is left which you've mostly drilled away already.​

Loosely install the fender flare. I did this by pulling the rivet until i felt a hair of tension. This makes it tight enough to hold, but not so tight that you can't move it. I put in all rivets of existing holes in. This allowed me to move it around a little to position it exactly where I want. They have quite a bit of play between the fender flare and the rivet size so I will see how this plays out when they get knocked around offroading. But on the fender flare the existing holes are all larger than the 3 new holes are which are a snug fit for the rivets. I think the 3 new holes will really help hold it in position.
rear03.jpg

Once fender flare is in position tighten the rivets down until the stem snaps off. For me most break with part of the shaft sticking out. I waited to trim these until I was done installing the 3 new holes and rivets.

Drill pilot hole w/ 1/8in drill bit in center of the 3 holes on the fender. Then chase it with a 1/4in drill bit making sure both times you are going in perpendicular to the surface. I have a bit of experience with this stuff and didn't use a center punch, if you are feeling nervous a center punch can be helpful to prevent drill bit walk. With soft plastic like this I just push into it hard and do full speed and don't get walking... I use a center punch with metal.
rear04.jpg

Trim the stems up to make them look nice. I used straight bladed cutters, but a knife or other such tools would all work fine.

A note about drilling with fender flare installed:
At first I thought of installing the fender flare with a couple sacrificial rivets to be removed and then drilling the holes. I don't think this is a good idea because there is nothing holding the fender and fender liner together to get those holes aligned. Also if the fender flare is installed you're not going to miss your mark. And lastly if the fender flare is tight against the fender, I do see any issue the fender bulging or something causing a fitment issue. I think there are many more fitment issue potentials drilling the holes w/o the fender flare installed.​

Front Fender liners
You'll need to turn your wheel a little to get access to the rear couple rivets.
IMG_0234.jpg

Drill out and remove the 6 stock rivets (red arrows). The lower most one is left in place.
front01.jpg

As I did with the rear I recommend loosely setting the fender flare in place with partial pull on rivets to get the alignment where you like and then tightening rivets until the stems snap off.
Drill the 3 new holes as required like with the rear, 1/8 drill bit for pilot and 1/4in chase. Be precise and don't round out the hole because that will make for a loose rivet fitment.
front02.jpg

Repeat on both sides and your done. Here are some before and after pics to show coverage. I'm running 17x8.5 w/ 0 offset, or 4.75in backspace Method 701s for reference and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5-17 which have only about 1000 miles on them so far
Before:
IMG_0208.jpg

After: Wheel is turned a little to the right (passenger) side here and not perfectly straight.
IMG_0231.jpg

here is the splash up on the stock fenders. After I drive in some rain I’ll report if I see rooster tails or not and hopefully a reduce splash up. But the shape of the flare is thin so not much surface for dirt to stick to.
AA0D4AC7-32CC-47FA-BCCF-DF2BF4D6C574.jpeg

B42E4C21-5473-4F24-9D8C-3558D361B0F8.jpeg

Update after some rain driving.
I don’t see the rooster tails coming off the front tires. There may still be some but is small enough that I’m not seeing them while driving. Clearly there is some water coming in front and over the flare on the front and some rear kick up onto the front fender. Rear flare looks like it is doing about the same, clearly an improvement with some kick up front and rear of the fender flare.

D8072B17-B8CC-4F2C-A85A-D39ED96B29C6.jpeg

D69908CC-8DA2-49C3-9751-0DF404A74C6D.jpeg
Old guide but thank you for the detailed steps. I have the same parts on hand and when I did a sample rivet in a scrap piece of metal the rivets just spin rather than drill through. Did you have any issues with that?

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Old guide but thank you for the detailed steps. I have the same parts on hand and when I did a sample rivet in a scrap piece of metal the rivets just spin rather than drill through. Did you have any issues with that?
Not sure what you mean about just spin rather than drill thru. Is this when you're trying to remove the old rivets?
- If yes, I just punched the center of the plastic rivets thru to remove the shell. The center is what keeps the plastic rivet secure.
- If no and your rivet is spinning when installed, then I would think you are either not getting good pull on the core, drilled too big of a hole or the rivets you got are not very good. The OEM ones and the ones I used grip well if the core is in the rivet after pulling it to snug.

Happy to help, let me know more detail of your issue if my response wasn't helpful

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you mean about just spin rather than drill thru. Is this when you're trying to remove the old rivets?
- If yes, I just punched the center of the plastic rivets thru to remove the shell. The center is what keeps the plastic rivet secure.
- If no and your rivet is spinning when installed, then I would think you are either not getting good pull on the core, drilled too big of a hole or the rivets you got are not very good. The OEM ones and the ones I used grip well if the core is in the rivet after pulling it to snug.

Happy to help, let me know more detail of your issue if my response wasn't helpful
Sorry that I was not clear enough. Yes, I was talking about removing the old rivets. I have not started yet, this was a trial on scrap material because I have learned that when trying to remove metal rivets if they spin rather than stay in place when drilling them out they become very hard to remove.

Thanks again.

Sponsored

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I am kind of lost on the last few messages. I did this upgrade a while ago and did not drill out any metal rivets. What am I missing?

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
@Viking Jeeper and @Terrymo they are plastic rivets. Just punch the center core out. You can use a punch or small screwdriver. Or you can 1/8in drill bit drill them out. These things are not like a metal rivet, more like a plastic drywall anchor.
@Viking Jeeper I think you’re over thinking it. If you’re going to practice, practice with plastic rivets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I already removed my XR flares with metal rivets and did a fender chop. I think I have just muddied the waters being helpful/not helpful.
sorry tagged the wrong person

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I NEVER said anything about there being metal rivets in the fenders. I clearly stated it was a sample on scrap material. And why would I be trying to drill out rivets I just put into my fenders?

I'm going back to the TJ and 392 forums.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I NEVER said anything about there being metal rivets in the fenders. I clearly stated it was a sample on scrap material. And why would I be trying to drill out rivets I just put into my fenders?

I'm going back to the TJ and 392 forums.
If you've installed the fender flares already then I'm very confused on what you're asking. I am only trying to help answer the question you asked. If you're taking your ball and going home because someone is confused on what you're asking then I don't know how you will be able to get your question answered. I am struggling to know what you are trying to do and this is why I was looking for clarity, because i don't see how you'd have the rivet spinning.

Once the core is removed out of the plastic rivet, pull the rivet body out. You don't have to drill the cores out, you can just punch them thru as well. You don't drill out the rivet body, you just pull them straight out.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Great write up Jack!
Thank you for your patience in waiting for these parts.

- Benny
I have done some purchasing from AllMoparParts.com. Great group of guys there. I have spoken to Benny when I bought the 3-piece steel front bumper and a few other parts I installed on my 2018 Sahara.

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 wrangler rubicon w/AEV 2.5 dualsport lift
super write up and is on my short list for my 2024 rubi...

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Unsubscribe
Sponsored