Sponsored

Front fender removal

theice44

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2Dr Rubicon, Bikini Pearl + Dark Saddle&6 Speed Manual. Written off 2Dr JK Altitude Edition
Hey all, I'm just posting this because I have had to remove the front fender 4 times now to gain access to my ARB air compressor I installed. If this is in the wrong forum page, please move it to the correct one.

So since I have installed the air compressor underneath the fender, from what I noticed, most if not all the videos regarding removing the front fenders shows a really bad way of doing it () I added the video to show what I am talking about. This is not to poorly represent Quadratec, but this is an example of what most videos I've come across are doing.

They pretty much will just remove the 4, 10mm bolts and then rip the fender off with force... this is not how the plastic clips holding the fenders were designed to be removed, and it is super easy to completely break the clips or damage the fender this way. Personally, 5/10 of these white plastic clips broke on mine the very first time I removed it this way and it caused an annoying flutter afterward while driving down the highway.

Anyway... what I found easiest is to start by removing the plastic rivets with a plastic pry tool. The heads are easy to break, so I suggest removing them from underneath the fender lining, if you can help it.

312557-0e39ebd45d7bf4d147941ff965838f94.jpg

Remove the four 10mm bolts, one is tucked in a hole near the upper center of the liner so you'll probably need an extension to reach it. Another thing people do in these removal videos, is they drill out the plastic rivets which line up at the very end of the fender . I find you do not need to drill these out, the liner will dislodge from them if you simply push up on the liner near the rivets.

Once the inner liner is removed, you can disconnect the fender light harness by pushing the red tab out then there's another tab right by the red tab you pushed out that you push in and pull the harness out.

312565-d0e3c2fae69d6637ff59efeb0391c0ae.jpg

From the picture with the light harness you can also see the white plastic tabs which hold the fender in place. There are 10 in total, the very front one is a bit hidden and three are at the bottom corner. These simple require some needle nose pliers to squeeze the tabs in. Start on one end and work your way to another, it's that simple and no need for brute force. I'll add, that the tab closest to the bottom corner may require a needle nose plier long enough to reach it, but if your hands are small enough, it shouldn't be an issue.
312571-43b71c0893346da4d962f5994044ac15.jpg

After that the fender is off. Not a hard job, but takes a few minutes longer if you do it correctly, and may save you a trip to the dealership to replace the plastic clips.

312573-e92a9d4275a3789810b5a2cbfd6a047a.jpg

312574-bf6b4ba16923b9f0fd13a8d1e1d25f93.jpg

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0534.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Trim tool, 10mm and some needle nose and I can have them off in 2-3 mins. Thanks for taking the time to show how. The rears are a bear and just about have to be pulled off though

Brett

OP
OP
theice44

theice44

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2Dr Rubicon, Bikini Pearl + Dark Saddle&6 Speed Manual. Written off 2Dr JK Altitude Edition
Thanks for the info! What compressor and bracket for you use to mount it under the hood?
Hey, I use the ACM Underhood ARB air compressor mount. It's the only mounting bracket I could find for the single air compressor for the JL that goes under the hood.

Last edited:

jntrees

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S, Ducati 899
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, I use the ACM Underhood ARB air compressor mount. It's the only mounting bracket I could find for the single air compressor for the JL that goes under the hood.
Just ordered the ACM bracket. I just need to figure out how to wire it inside the cab. Not sure how to wire the two wires.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Once the inner liner is removed, you can disconnect the fender light harness by pushing the red tab out then there's another tab right by the red tab you pushed out that you push in and pull the harness out.
THANK YOU!

Watch every damn guide online and NONE mention this second tab. Screwed with this for 20 minutes, found your post, done in 30 seconds.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
THANK YOU!

Watch every damn guide online and NONE mention this second tab. Screwed with this for 20 minutes, found your post, done in 30 seconds.
I got it off but I don't know how (I worked around it for about 45 minutes). Good to know this for the next time I take the fender off.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I take my front fenders off without removing the liner. No messing with rivets.
Sponsored