I wish my Jeep had...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Anyone with a screwdriver can get through glass windows easily and quietly, but typically thieves are using spring loaded center punches that you can buy anywhere for about $3. I have never encountered the security film, I'm assuming you're talking about 3Ms ScotchShield or a similar product, so I don't know much about them. My understanding is that it needs to be wrapped around the edge of the window, so it can't be put on like window tint. Instead your glass has to be removed, the film applied, then then window reinstalled.
You are absolutely correct that something other than a rock can be used to breach a glass window. If held correctly it can be done with your car keys. There's nothing that is entirely theft proof, the film is intended to be theft deterrent.
As for the film and application. Yes, I'm referring to similar films to what you found. Security films, much like other products, can be purchased in various qualities and shades, but they'll typically be 4-8 mil thick. By comparison window tint films tend to be 1-2 mil thick for reputable brands, or thinner for cheap stuff.

I do window tint and have been for 15+ years. Not professionally, but on the side. I've applied, and tested security films and various application techniques. Wrapping the glass like you mentioned is the strongest way, but you can still get a secure window without removing the glass. I'm not one to believe commercials. They always show someone pounding on the glass without it breaking but you always wonder how hard they're actually hitting it. I'm pretty close with a local junk yard, and they let me test on some scrap vehicles (in return I put film on their new truck). When applied correctly, and without taking the glass out or door apart, I was able to make it so the glass took multiple hits (by me) with a metal pipe before it broke. Even after breaking it had to be hit a few more times to fall out of the door. I also tried a window punch, which obviously broke the glass right away, but also required a few hits with the side of my fist (hammer style strikes) to get it to fall out. Simply put, security film make the glass harder to break and delays entry, but it won't make it impossible to get in. Nothing is truly impenetrable, so we're looking to inconvenience the thief as much as possible so they move on to a softer target.
The idea is that If they hit the glass with a rock, screwdriver, window punch, etc and the window doesn't fall in they're a little more likely to move on to an easier target. Similarly, a plastic window is easier and quieter than glass to breach. Assuming neither vehicle has valuables in view, the thief will likely pick the soft top Jeep over mine. Likewise, I hope they move on past mine if the glass doesn't immediately give way.

There you go, now you know at least a little about security films. :movember:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Removeable windows, sliding windows are on the "to do" list for one of the aftermarket vendors, I'll find it and add here
RetroFit Off Road...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Auto down/up on all 4 windows. Like many vehicles have had for 2 decades.

A space somewhere on the dash or console that easily lends itself to installation of a switch bank. Besides the AUX switches.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Sliding window Link to vid cool idea would like it to look more Factory! the corners come in to much and don't really follow the hardtop lines...

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Dead pedal ! I had to reach into my pocket this morning ,pushed my left foot out in search of some support ,and slid under the steering wheel ! I had to scramble back into position quickly !
Soft top rear window should be easy to pull up, for simple access to the rear.

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sliding window Link to vid cool idea would like it to look more Factory! the corners come in to much and don't really follow the hardtop lines...
Soft top rear window should be easy to pull up, for simple access to the rear.
Hey buddy!!! Lol

Thought same thing to myself when I first put soft top on.

It's easy, pop the bar out then flip rear window atop the soft top.

...I know, I know, you have to "untuck" it from the side clips/grooves but it's a hell-of-alot easier than the old zippers.

MJM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2004 GC Limited, 2018 Silverado LTZ, 2000 GMC Sierra SLT, 2000 Camaro SS
I wish our Rubicon had an engine driven air compressor that used the roll bars as an air tank with a quick disconnect on the rear side bar for an air hose. This would be great for airing back up after a trail and may even be enough for some air tools if something happened on the trail.

I'm with the old school guys, give me hand crank window, manual lock and no annoying electronic gizmos and nannies. Rock cam systems are available aftermarket if you get serious enough to want/need them. As for storage space, take a few motorcyle trips and even the 2 door will seem incredibly spacious. You just have to get creative on how you pack it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I wish our Rubicon had an engine driven air compressor that used the roll bars as an air tank with a quick disconnect on the rear side bar for an air hose. This would be great for airing back up after a trail and may even be enough for some air tools if something happened on the trail.

I'm with the old school guys, give me hand crank window, manual lock and no annoying electronic gizmos and nannies. Rock cam systems are available aftermarket if you get serious enough to want/need them. As for storage space, take a few motorcyle trips and even the 2 door will seem incredibly spacious. You just have to get creative on how you pack it.
I like the compressor idea!! Was a pita to wire in the ARB compressor I have.

MJM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2004 GC Limited, 2018 Silverado LTZ, 2000 GMC Sierra SLT, 2000 Camaro SS
Not to mention that something the size of an AC compressor would be may times the cfm of the ARB and no wires except for the switch for the clutch.

Jhauck21

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Weapons and countermeasures, for good ole everyday Florida driving

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Bigger tires. But then again, I can remedy that myself ;)

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad we can't get this for the JL! Whoever makes this...there is money to be made here!
Sponsored