KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JK wrangler just until my 19 rubicon JL get here. I ordered in 11-19 and it's "in shipping phase", Anyway, I shut the tailgate today on the zipper of my Carhartt jacket. A tiny piece of the metal zipper got wedged in the door by the latch. Now, I can't get it open. The door nob that you press just goes in without resuistance. I have tried locking and unlocking the tailgate to no avail. I kicked it from both sides. I did a little rain dance, I can't get it open. It needs to work for when I trade it in for my new Rubicon.

Any ideas how to fix this??
From the inside remove the panel closest to the latch, you can reach in and manually flip the latch open. I had to replace a plastic tab on my JK tailgate latch as every now and then it wouldn’t open. I got to the point where I could unzip the soft top, reach in and open by manipulating the mechanism to open the tail gate.

May not be the issue but worth a try
Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
I could, but the photo will just show a completely closed tailgate.
Even a pic of the damaged jacket would help?

Cant imagine and zipper parts actually jamming up the locking assembly, is it fabric just pinching the door shut?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
What year is the JK? Are you out of your warranty period?

Whether you ARE or you’re NOT take it in to a dealership OTHER THAN the one your dealing with and tell them you cannot get the door open. Or a local Jeep shop as they probably won’t even charge you. Worst case scenario there though if all else fails.
Good move... even if it does cost you something.

Sponsored

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
it very possibly wedged and latched. meaning you need someone opening the handle while you attempt to kick it open or push it open. if it is wedged and latched you wouldn't be able to just open it buy kicking it open as the latch is holding it. and if it is also wedged you probably wouldn't be able to open it just by opening the the latch and pulling. try both at the same time. go to lowe's and buy a plastic wedge to try to created some space between the body and the tailgate opposite the hinges and also try pushing and pulling in at the same time....

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
i would imagine you are correct...lol i just noticed that several had posted just slightly before me so i replied. i hadn't noticed the date of the original post...

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
i would imagine you are correct...lol i just noticed that several had posted just slightly before me so i replied. i hadn't noticed the date of the original post...
Got it on a phone you cant see that but Thank you, still wanna see a picture!!! HOLY CARHARTS!
Sponsored