I need help with tailgate

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I have a JK wrangler just until my 19 rubicon JL get here. I ordered in 11-19 and it's "in shipping phase", Anyway, I shut the tailgate today on the zipper of my Carhartt jacket. A tiny piece of the metal zipper got wedged in the door by the latch. Now, I can't get it open. The door nob that you press just goes in without resuistance. I have tried locking and unlocking the tailgate to no avail. I kicked it from both sides. I did a little rain dance, I can't get it open. It needs to work for when I trade it in for my new Rubicon.

Any ideas how to fix this??
Sponsored

OP
OP

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I could, but the photo will just show a completely closed tailgate.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Can you just try to hulk it open? I know it's not ideal, but without access to what's causing it to be jammed I don't see another way. Aside from removing the hinges and opening it from that side. ...if that's even a possibility.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Can you just try to hulk it open? I know it's not idea, but without access to what's causing it to be jammed is to rejoice the hinges and open ity from that side. ...if that's even a possibility.
Maybe try pushing really hard from the inside, to avoid breaking the handle off. Or pulling on the spare tire maybe.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I could, but the photo will just show a completely closed tailgate.
Makes sense I didn’t even think of that lol duh.. I’m a bone head.

Okay so yeah it’s a crappy situation because if you climb back there from the inside it’s not like you can get low enough to shoulder it open.. and continuous kicking will eventually damage something.. let me think on this for a moment.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I would take the spare off and see if that is putting just enough weight on that latch inside the door where it clicks in. You never know... at least at that point, from the outside you’ll have more area space to attempt something else.

You could also have someone get on the inside and kick while you pull on the outside after removing the spare. Better yet, you kick and have someone just pull OR you push and someone else pull at the same time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I tried pushing from inside, pulling from handle. Any harder and I’ll break it off. I guess I could take off hinges as last resort. I did remove spare

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I tried pushing from inside, pulling from handle. Any harder and I’ll break it off. I guess I could take off hinges as last resort
The tailgate isn't that heavy and its not so bad to reinstall. Much better than causing permanent damage.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What year is the JK? Are you out of your warranty period?

Whether you ARE or you’re NOT take it in to a dealership OTHER THAN the one your dealing with and tell them you cannot get the door open. Or a local Jeep shop as they probably won’t even charge you. Worst case scenario there though if all else fails.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I tried pushing from inside, pulling from handle. Any harder and I’ll break it off. I guess I could take off hinges as last resort. I did remove spare
Yeah but did you push and pull at the same time with (2) people? (2) people might make the difference. I wish I was there because I know I could get the damn thing open with my shoulder if I could get low enough haha

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
Crazy amounts of WD-40 or the like?
Sponsored