Sponsored

I keep warping rotors. Why?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You may want to consider those Hawk pads, they will require a full bed-in AFAIK but they are a true performance pad, should require less actual braking pressure to get a similar bite as the Powerstops so in theory at least, the rotors shouldn't get as hot resulting in better braking (less fade) and better stopping when you really get on it.
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FWIW,
I worry more about overheating the brakes when I am crawling down a long mountain road grade at 5mph when it is so steep that the engine braking is not enough to keep everything smooth and predictable. In those cases I have no expectation that the brakes can cool down so I try real hard to not get them too hot.
When I am out on a modern highway with all the start and stop 0->70->0mph traffic, I don't think about it much because most of the time I can initiate an inertia of deceleration early on and then brake lightly etc. as conditions require.
I am just adding this as food for thought because there was a mention of Colorado grades and it may be helpful to acknowledge how easy it is too cook brakes at low speeds if you have to stomp on them for an extended duration of time.

Good luck.

Littlebother

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just a thought, driving to the car wash I would drive down along hill , when I got to the car wash the brakes were really hot, hit the brakes with cold water will warp them, I had to replace my brakes on my truck… learned the hard way

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I am just adding this as food for thought because there was a mention of Colorado grades and it may be helpful to acknowledge how easy it is too cook brakes at low speeds if you have to stomp on them for an extended duration of time.
No mention of grades, just shitty Colorado roads in general. I'm not hitting any real measurable grades unless I'm going wheeling which I haven't had the chance to do lately.

Just a thought, driving to the car wash I would drive down along hill , when I got to the car wash the brakes were really hot, hit the brakes with cold water will warp them, I had to replace my brakes on my truck… learned the hard way
Yeah, I'm very mindful not to hit the wheels or rotors with water at the car wash. Usually, I don't even bother rinsing them down at all for that very reason.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Yup! But that doesn't mean Discount Tire did during a rotation and balance, though.
I always re-torque lug nuts when I get home after tire service. It takes me 10 minutes, and I know that they're torqued properly.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I always re-torque lug nuts when I get home after tire service. It takes me 10 minutes, and I know that they're torqued properly.
A note on checking the torque: always loosten then retighten. Just because the wrench clicks on it’s 130 setting, doesn’t mean that they are not tighter than that.

its a bad day in the making when you can’t get that one lug loose. I’d rather deal with that issue at home if given the choice.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
A note on checking the torque: always loosten then retighten. Just because the wrench clicks on it’s 130 setting, doesn’t mean that they are not tighter than that.

its a bad day in the making when you can’t get that one lug loose. I’d rather deal with that issue at home if given the choice.
Yep, loosen until it just breaks free and torque. I go through the star twice, loosening on the first round.

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Oh yeah. And I've taken this thing apart so many times for mods and what not that improperly torqued lugs won't remain that way for long.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
It’s not just braking hard that will do it. Braking softly for an extended period of time will do it as well. Sort of like taking 100 yards to stop for a stop light, you’re slowing down very gradually but those brakes are getting really hot.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
@Spank I’d really check your lateral runout (a good magnetic Dial Indicator can be had for $40) and it’s super easy to do.
And I’m pretty sure that a “warped” rotor is impossible no matter how hard you brake (from what I’ve read anyways). Most likely pad transfer to the rotor by sitting on the brakes at a stop light (with very hot rotors) or lateral runout that’s causing brake pulsation.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I think others have covered the most likely causes. If you have the money I have a solution. Alcon brakes are fantastic and incredibly durable. (I want them, but can’t afford them yet.) My brother bought a set for his JL and had them installed at Lyft Offroad in Glenwood Springs. His Jeep brakes better with 37s than it braked new with the stock tires, and the new brakes don’t fade on the long grades like the factory ones did. It was a $4000 investment, but the brakes are one of his favorite mods, and they are guaranteEd, (Alcon makes “lifetime” brakes for military vehicles. Very high quality.)

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@Spank

Do you live near a highway?

When I got my first car, I lived two short blocks off of a state route with a long, steep downgrade right before my neighborhood. Parking brake definitely didn't do me any favours either. Resurfaced and changed the rotors many times on that vehicle before I figured it out.

The time and money wasted back then always reminds me nowadays to take it easy after getting off the parkway, or high speed stop/go redlights, before coming to a stop. Probably good for the turbo too.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You are probably that guy who looks like he is gonna go through a red light but actually stops at the last second
Sponsored