How Well Does The Hands Free Mic Work?

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Curious. I haven’t seen this mentioned elsewhere. How well does the handsfree work for making phone calls? Specifically, the person you are talking too, do they hear you loud and clear? Or is there a lot of wind noise at highway speed?

My new JLUR arrives in a couple of weeks. I’d like to know what to expect. Thanks!
Sponsored

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
Works great! If the top is down, I use my ear buds:like:. If the top is down and the doors are off, just pull over:cwl:

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Works well, but the mic reception/translation seems to be much better from Android Auto. I assume the physical mic itself works the same...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I’ve answered my mother calling me a few times before. About half the time she hears me well. That’s about the same as on my cell phone. She doesn’t hear well anymore. With everyone else I’ve called, I’ve had no problems, so I just assume it’s her hearing and it works fine.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Zero problems. All with Top on. My to go orders are always spot on with no repeats.

Sponsored

First Name
Rah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rahevolution.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JLU Sahara 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Been working great for me, but yet to try it at highway speeds with the Sky One-Touch open. (it's a bit chilly in MN this time of year) So far a big improvement over sound quality on my JK.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I haven’t had opportunity to use it with the top down, but in my hartop Unlimited it’s actually great. Impressive even so far. Far better than in my F150 or our Lexus. No echo and the sound is loud and clear. On both ends, I can hear and be heard without any noise on the other end.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
It's worked great for me. Haven't had the top off yet, but with the top on, no problems.

howardw1976

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm on the road quite a bit and do a lot of calls and hands free requests... it seems to work very well, i typically have it going through appleplay so use siri a lot... no complaints.. I have not tried with the top down yet.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Curious. I haven’t seen this mentioned elsewhere. How well does the handsfree work for making phone calls? Specifically, the person you are talking too, do they hear you loud and clear? Or is there a lot of wind noise at highway speed?

My new JLUR arrives in a couple of weeks. I’d like to know what to expect. Thanks!
I’ve had mine for about nine months and use it all the time and have no issues with either talking and the other person hearing me or vice versa works fine.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Top on, works great. I've never had hands free that I was happy with so I was pleasantly surprised after making a handful of calls in my JL. In my experience with the top off, it does ok until about 30mph at which the wind noise starts taking over. Siri's voice recognition is much better than the factory voice recognition as mentioned earlier. Or maybe it's just that she just has a much bigger vocabulary?

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Soft top or hard top....high way speeds with tops on ... mic quality is very good. Open a window or have the top down and freeway speeds....does not work well....but then I wouldn't expect it to really. If, I slow down... to under 60 with top down....works fine with top down and windows up.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Works AWESOME

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
We have a G37S 6MT, RR Evoque and the JL. Just putting the windows down while you're driving, in all 3 of them, changes call quality for the worse. That being said, I was able to drive the JL with the roof off and I just had to speak up to be heard at highway speeds. With the roof up/on it's just as good as our other vehicles. And the Connect system, over all, is far better than the other 2 vehicles.

OP
OP

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Good to know everyone. Mine is with the dealer now, delivery tomorrow. I’ll use it quite a bit for work next week, and will report back.
Sponsored