How much lift do I need? (Video)

DevonIsACat

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, ‘23 Jeep GC Summit
If I’ve done this right… there’s a video attached which you can see and hear my skid plate. I hit it several times over the weekend. My JLUR is all stock except the wheels/tires (35x12.5x17 on 9x17 +1).
I don’t want more lift than I need because there’s a lot of narrow spots between trees that angle… I want to leave as much clearance for my roof as possible… but clearly need more ground clearance for all the rocks.

I’m planning to go with teraflex.

editing to add links for videos

Sponsored

OP
OP

DevonIsACat

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice!
Part of me now wishes I’d just went with 37’s but not having the knowledge or skill level I decided to start with 35’s and get comfortable/learn what I like and what my capabilities are as a driver. I can definitely see going to 37’s with my next set of tires.

I want to get enough ground clearance with my 35’s right now. I need to add a bumper and winch and lift. After having to be very careful not to rip my bumpers off by the edges over the wheels, I’ve come to the realization I want a bumper with removable end caps.

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 wrangler rubicon w/AEV 2.5 dualsport lift
Initial thoughts on watching the videos…..need to drop psi way down and slow down and smooth on the throttle.

OP
OP

DevonIsACat

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Initial thoughts on watching the videos…..need to drop psi way down and slow down and smooth on the throttle.
Definitely. I was only down to 20PSI. I scraped over multiple spots even at a crawl. As did all the stock height Rubicons. A gladiator got stuck and spun a bit. A Sahara with a 4” lift made it over them with no scraping.

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
To get the ground clearance, 37’s would get you an extra inch. If the tires flex completely now with no rubbing the fenders, but also knowing you’ll be adding weight up front and lose 1/2-3/4” suspension height up front, a 2” lift should be enough. You might also be good with +1” Synergy springs and a spacer to offset the drop from the winch/winch plate weight. Teraflex makes 1/2” spacers and Daystar makes a 3/4”. It’s totally acceptable to fine tune the height this way. I’d recommend some 0-1.5” lift compatible shocks too. With the right ones, you’ll get more suspension droop. There’s a shock thread with a spreadsheet here somewhere to look up that way you know it works. I’d also get the Mopar lower control arms for 1° more caster.

Last edited:

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
37's open up a whole can of worms. They look amazing and are very capable but be prepared to spend money. To properly lift and fit 37" tires will require you to potentially touch many different components including gears, driveshafts, control arms, relocation brackets, steering boxes, stronger track bars, ball joints, etc. It can, possibly but not always, be a big deal.

A lift in the 2" range will help you out significantly and will look great with 35's. Just don't cheap out; there's too much riding on your choice of suspension from safe road manners to safe off-road capability.

I can happily recommend Metalcloak's 2.5" true dual rate kit as a great product to start with. You will want to add a new front drive shaft, especially if you don't have FAD, and at some point a steering kit (tie-rod & drag link) will be beneficial to help handle the increased weight and leverage being exerted on the stock gear. See where this is all going.............$$$$$

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

@DevonIsACat referencing Clayton as a "standard", 1.5" would be the appropriate lift for a Rubicon on 35" tires.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-15-ride-right-lift-kit-4dr-2018-jl-jl-4xe

Now offered in a brand new 1.5" lift option!

The perfect height for those of you looking to proportionately fit a set of 35's on a Rubicon or 33's on a Sport/Sahara! Expect to gain around 1.5 - 2" of lift total, and slightly more for a 2 door model depending on the build. 4xE's can expect to gain around 1.5" of lift total.

*2-door Jeeps may receive slightly more lift than advertised due to differences in vehicle weight

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You don't need to lift it. Scraping is ok and not something you have to "fix".

If you just want to lift it, then go two inches, a spacer lift.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
4lo, turn on off-road+ -> crawl over it slowly. If there is excessive slip, rear locker on might help propell forward with control and steady speed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DevonIsACat

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
37's open up a whole can of worms. They look amazing and are very capable but be prepared to spend money. To properly lift and fit 37" tires will require you to potentially touch many different components including gears, driveshafts, control arms, relocation brackets, steering boxes, stronger track bars, ball joints, etc. It can, possibly but not always, be a big deal.

A lift in the 2" range will help you out significantly and will look great with 35's. Just don't cheap out; there's too much riding on your choice of suspension from safe road manners to safe off-road capability.

I can happily recommend Metalcloak's 2.5" true dual rate kit as a great product to start with. You will want to add a new front drive shaft, especially if you don't have FAD, and at some point a steering kit (tie-rod & drag link) will be beneficial to help handle the increased weight and leverage being exerted on the stock gear. See where this is all going.............$$$$$
Thanks for the in depth info. I had read 37’s can be complicated and with my lack of knowledge… I decided against it. I’m no where near the experience or skill level where I’ll need 37s.
I’ll check out the metalcloak.

OP
OP

DevonIsACat

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to lift it. Scraping is ok and not something you have to "fix".

If you just want to lift it, then go two inches, a spacer lift.
We had to turn around after 3 recoveries due to stock height vehicles becoming high centred further up the trail. Several trails here require more ground clearance. That’s considered a beginner trail here.

OP
OP

DevonIsACat

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4lo, turn on off-road+ -> crawl over it slowly. If there is excessive slip, rear locker on might help propell forward with control and steady speed.
I was in 4L, I locked the rear at some point… but don’t recall if it was before or after the video. I’m guessing after. I didn’t use off road+… I forgot it existed. Thanks.
Jeep crawled up the majority of rocks and hills effortlessly, I was impressed.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
We had to turn around after 3 recoveries due to stock height vehicles becoming high centred further up the trail. Several trails here require more ground clearance. That’s considered a beginner trail here.
We're talking about you though, how much lift you need. How many times did you get high-centered, and by how much? If you were rock stacking, how large were the rocks that you needed to get over something?
Sponsored