Sponsored

How many miles until your first windshield rock chip?

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
ARIZONA, why do they even pave the highways? It's as if you're driving on an unmaintained access road anyway with rocks being thrown left and right. At least it's state law (at least I think it is) for auto insurance companies to offer free glass replacement without any deductible or penalty to the policy holder. I received my 1st chip under 500 miles on the odometer and after 7 more chips later, I had a full windshield replacement at 1800 miles. No cost to me from my insurance company and the windshield replacement company even cut me a check for $125 for them to complete the install. Sure, why not!?!?!?!
Sponsored

Brdog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon JL
375 miles just got my first star. I’m going to try to get it fixed tomorrow. Do the hood guards help with this at all or will it be a constant battle? I’m a JL rubicon noob.

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
375 miles just got my first star. I’m going to try to get it fixed tomorrow. Do the hood guards help with this at all or will it be a constant battle? I’m a JL rubicon noob.
Get it fixed ASAP as soon as it spreads game over...you have a cracked windshield.
I’m noob too with our JL but I do know fluid dynamics. A good protector will help only a small amount. There is not enough airflow to push objects over, and the rocks I’ve experienced are well above the hood when flying in for the kill.

Matt_35

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Mine cracked at 900 miles. It's small now, a little less than half inch and has been stable for sometime (200 some miles). Does anyone know if there's a way to let it not spread?

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine cracked at 900 miles. It's small now, a little less than half inch and has been stable for sometime (200 some miles). Does anyone know if there's a way to let it not spread?
That maybe small enough for a glass place to repair it.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
It would be interesting to know why the JL is more inclined to get rock chips in the windshield. My previous vehicle was a Ram 1500 and I never got a rock chip. My wife's 335d has had a few, but they were easily patched without needing replacement. My XJ went through a few patches and complete replacement windshields. The Ram 1500 had a larger windshield, but either did not get hit or it just did not get hit such that it resulted in a chip. So, what was it with the XJ and apparently the JL? I haven't been hit *yet*, but I have no doubt that it will eventually occur.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
That maybe small enough for a glass place to repair it.
I've had good luck with the guys that set up on the roadsides in Houston that fix the windshields on such chips. Ideally, they will hook a vacuum pump to the chip, evacuate the air, and then inject some sort of glue that pretty much makes it such that you can't see the chip anymore.

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
After 520 miles I got a rock chip, have had it fixed 3 times already, chip keeps on running. 3 repairs approximately 1/4 inch apart each. Might have to try a different repair shop.

OP
OP
Grousemont

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well...suck. Driving to work this morning. A rock chipped our windshield. Bigger than a nickel. Miles on jeep was 421 miles.. :( So after lunch, I established a volume discount on windshield repairs with Euroglass in Redmond. I opened up with “we are at the start of a long and beautiful relationship”. The guy laughed. Now the chip is about the size of a large grain of sand. Barely noticeable!
FYI get you chips taken care of ASAP and you’ll get many years without having to replace. :)

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well...suck. Driving to work this morning. A rock chipped our windshield. Bigger than a nickel. Miles on jeep was 421 miles.. :( So after lunch, I established a volume discount on windshield repairs with Euroglass in Redmond. I opened up with “we are at the start of a long and beautiful relationship”. The guy laughed. Now the chip is about the size of a large grain of sand. Barely noticeable!
FYI get you chips taken care of ASAP and you’ll get many years without having to replace. :)
I went 7700+ then got one yesterday on way home from work. Will attempt quick fix until next glass. Here in Florida, insurance will replace for free twice in one year.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JLscorpio31

Yes, do "knock on wood".

The "hood/wind deflector" is not going to prevent windshield chips..

Do, be sure you have insurance to cover the windshield with little or no deductible.
Sponsored