Hoist question

phillipndavis

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Hey guys. So naturally, as I gear up for another New England winter, I’m thinking ahead to spring.

I plan to acquire a soft top and a hoist for my hard top. My question is: most of the hoist systems show the crank directly behind the Jeep on the back wall of the garage. I don’t have that option, so I’m wondering if anyone has installed the crank on the side wall, and if so, how you did it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey guys. So naturally, as I gear up for another New England winter, I’m thinking ahead to spring.

I plan to acquire a soft top and a hoist for my hard top. My question is: most of the hoist systems show the crank directly behind the Jeep on the back wall of the garage. I don’t have that option, so I’m wondering if anyone has installed the crank on the side wall, and if so, how you did it.

Thanks!
I installed J-BARR hoist with winch on side. It has a bar that spans two rafters. 24 inch drill points. The pulley attaches to swivel in center. Then cable goes across ceiling to pully on wall. Then, down to crank that works with power drill. Instructions show on back wall, but I have stairs there leading to house.

0E3937E0-F286-47AA-B748-4CB090FF9256.jpeg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The RACOR HD HOIST can be mounted in 4 different positions (2 easypeasy and 2 a little harder) and the hoist has a platform that can also be used for storage(4'x4')--

Price from $99 to $160 bucks--checkitout

JIMBO

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
The RACOR HD HOIST can be mounted in 4 different positions (2 easypeasy and 2 a little harder) and the hoist has a platform that can also be used for storage(4'x4')--

Price from $99 to $160 bucks--checkitout

JIMBO

Another vote for Rancor. If you have the height it is extra worth it since you can store stuff on top.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Thanx guys, I've been using mine for over 8 years and had no problems or trouble--
023.jpg

It's a good/safe quality hoist-

JIMBO

OP
OP
phillipndavis

phillipndavis

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Thank you all for the recommendations! I’m definitely going to check out the Racor.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I went with an electric hoist instead. My brother uses a Racor for his JK, and he said he wishes it was little more convenient (even with a power drill). Though to be fair, he said it made removing the top a lot easier than not having one, so at a minimum I'd go that route.

Anyway, for the electric hoist. I bought the hoist from Harbor Freight for about $100. Then I built a wood frame to hold the top and freedom panels. I also bought a Topsy kit (you'll want that for the Racor too), and wa-la, done. Top goes on/off in minutes, with no effort at all.

I don't have any good photos of it with the top attached, but here's one from when I was designing/building it.
hoist-and-topsy-6-jpg.jpg

Then this one after some finishing touches, but obviously without the top attached.
20180926_182835-jpg.jpg

Here's a link to the post I made about it in the hoist ideas thread: Hoist thread post
Sponsored