Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
My JLUS came with the Deuler H/T's and was a chore to keep centered on the road at highway speeds. Same issues as everyone else. Took it to dealer 1st week and was told there's nothing wrong with it. That was 3rd week of Feb. Maybe they hadn't had enough complaints yet to make them look deeper into the problem.
On my own I experimented with different tires: installed JK Sahara 18" rims with Dueler A/T's. No real change. Kept psi at 36 as per door sticker. Then I Installed a Rough Country 2.2 Steering stabilizer and noticed improved feel and less wandering. Then I installed their 2.5" lift kit (without springs). I was worried the lift was going to exacerbate the steering issue but nothing really changed other than bumps feel a little more pronounced with more vehicle roll and pitch. Possibly due to a higher center of gravity?
I had the alignment checked since I just messed with the suspension and they found it to be significantly out of tolerance. No telling if it was due to my lift kit or if there was an existing issue from the factory.
At the same time I installed some 18" x 10" HE900 Helo rims with Cooper Discoverer RTX 275/65-18 tire from NTB. Tire is about 1/4" smaller diameter than the Dueler H/T's but a much more square tread profile making them look bigger.
When I got it back it was much better tracking straight than before. I still need to correct steering a little but nothing like before.
So - I'm not sure what the solution is but I know an alignment helped, a better stabilizer helped, wider rims and tires with a more square profile helped. I have also just dropped to 32psi due to getting a bit too much rebound from the wider tires. That smoothed them out a bit and seems to have helped even more with the wandering steering.
I do still need to take it in for the recall U62 Canbus recall where they reflash the ECM/PMC. I don't see any other recalls but maybe FCA is being hush-hush about it and will do a software update and adjust the steering box while its in there?
I had the U62 recall performed last week. When I took it in the service writer said the new update would include all updates across the entire system so IF any electric power steering input updates were available it would be included. Whether he was blowing smoke up my tailpipe or not I don't know, but after a week of driving there has been NO WANDERING on straight and level ground at highway speed! A little bit of input is needed on uneven or rough highway (in need of repair) stretches, but nothing more than "normal". I'm thinking the software update/recall has solved MY wandering problem. Can't say it will do so for everyone.
My tire pressures were at 32psi to dampen the steering prior to the update. I will bring them back to factory (36psi - which I still think is high for an AT tire/vehicle) and see if anything changes. Get your updates and see if it helps!!

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Is the U62 recall the same as , or related to this TSB?

upload_2018-8-20_20-6-48.png
Sponsored