First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Commodities trading
2018 JLU with about 800 miles on it. Drives better than any Jeep I have owned or driven previously. Yes, compared to most cars the steering feels vague and there will be body roll but it should not wander or list heavily under normal driving.

I would definitely bring it back to the dealer for inspection.

gjorewicz

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue with my JLU Sahara. It took WAY too much effort to keep it tracking straight at speeds over 65 mph. I took it back to the jeep store to check alignment and told me that it was within spec, however, they stated that the air pressure was 43 psi on average, which is how they get delivered from the factory. They lowered them to 39 and it's a lot better... I think I'm going to lower it a little more though to 35-37 psi and see if that's even better. But huge improvement just by reduce air pressure.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
I would be taking it back to the dealer. Mine rode like a car new, and now with the lift, rides/handles better; TP around 35 with the summer roads raising it up.
Has anyone considered changing tire brand? I wonder if it's the brand of tires. I went to Michelins on my 2013 JKU Sahara, and it drove much better than the stock tires.

kevinkeplar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I just picked up a fully loaded Rubicon JLU. I took it on my first highway/Interstate short trip. The Jeep wanders a lot in the lane and the steering is vague and a little abrupt when correcting with lots of roll. I don't remember my older Jeeps driving this way.

So do I have an alignment / toe in issue or is this normal for these now?
There seems to be a steering issue with the new JLs (not all of them, but many of them). I have been back to the dealership 3 times (including getting the latest TSB update [TSB# 08-092-18] which helps a bit, but doesn't solve the problem). I have a 4th appointment this week to look further. There is a thread on the forum here that is followed by Jeep - search for "steering" and you should find it. Join us over there to make your issue known. If we all keep complaining, we may get a solution to this pesky steering issue.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
My JLUS came with the Deuler H/T's and was a chore to keep centered on the road at highway speeds. Same issues as everyone else. Took it to dealer 1st week and was told there's nothing wrong with it. That was 3rd week of Feb. Maybe they hadn't had enough complaints yet to make them look deeper into the problem.
On my own I experimented with different tires: installed JK Sahara 18" rims with Dueler A/T's. No real change. Kept psi at 36 as per door sticker. Then I Installed a Rough Country 2.2 Steering stabilizer and noticed improved feel and less wandering. Then I installed their 2.5" lift kit (without springs). I was worried the lift was going to exacerbate the steering issue but nothing really changed other than bumps feel a little more pronounced with more vehicle roll and pitch. Possibly due to a higher center of gravity?
I had the alignment checked since I just messed with the suspension and they found it to be significantly out of tolerance. No telling if it was due to my lift kit or if there was an existing issue from the factory.
At the same time I installed some 18" x 10" HE900 Helo rims with Cooper Discoverer RTX 275/65-18 tire from NTB. Tire is about 1/4" smaller diameter than the Dueler H/T's but a much more square tread profile making them look bigger.
When I got it back it was much better tracking straight than before. I still need to correct steering a little but nothing like before.
So - I'm not sure what the solution is but I know an alignment helped, a better stabilizer helped, wider rims and tires with a more square profile helped. I have also just dropped to 32psi due to getting a bit too much rebound from the wider tires. That smoothed them out a bit and seems to have helped even more with the wandering steering.
I do still need to take it in for the recall U62 Canbus recall where they reflash the ECM/PMC. I don't see any other recalls but maybe FCA is being hush-hush about it and will do a software update and adjust the steering box while its in there?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
This is my first Wrangler. JLUR, tires at 37 psi. Highway speeds up to 75 mph (120 km/h) with no issues, even when towing a full load. Steering was as-expected and no worse than my old pickup.

GOBOGIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ with 301k and counting - Energizer Bunny
Test drive a JL Unlimited Sahara and a JL Unlimited Rubicon last Tuesday at a dealer. I noticed the wondering issue also but only on the Rubicon. It was noticeable and a bit of a pain. I drive a lot for work and it would get on my nerves after awhile for sure.

FJ continues to go and go and go... probably gunna hold out for ‘19 now

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
You're noticing what so many others are. The JL drives like s****.

It has NOTHING to do with tires. So don't waste your time there.

Just yesterday, FCA released a TSB on this issue which may be the fix we've all been waiting for. It involves reprogramming the software to change the electric motor assist ratio. Check with your dealership to see if they can do this update for you and it may really help!

Mine PCM was flashed about two weeks ago and my Jeep drives considerably better now.
Nice. Mine is MUCH worse than my 2015 JK Rubicon. Hope this helps. Very loose on steering/wandering at all speeds over 30 MPH.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Test drive a JL Unlimited Sahara and a JL Unlimited Rubicon last Tuesday at a dealer. I noticed the wondering issue also but only on the Rubicon. It was noticeable and a bit of a pain. I drive a lot for work and it would get on my nerves after awhile for sure.

FJ continues to go and go and go... probably gunna hold out for ‘19 now
Wait for the 19s - not that far off. Put in your order once they open it up. Merry Christmas!!!

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So many threads on steering.

1. tire pressure
2. alignment
3. steering box adjustment

One member reports fixing his wandering JLU by adjusting the steering box.
1. and 2. are irrelevant. This is not corrected by tire pressure. JK much tighter.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Has anyone considered changing tire brand? I wonder if it's the brand of tires. I went to Michelins on my 2013 JKU Sahara, and it drove much better than the stock tires.
No. Again, this has nothing to do with tires or tire pressures. The guys dropping 3 PSI and claiming it fixes the problem are fooling themselves. It's almost funny. :cwl:

FCA is using at least 5 different tires on JL Wranglers. Goodyear Adventure A/T with Kevlar, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, Bridgestone Dueler H/T, BFGoodrich A/T KO2, and Michelin LTX M/S are all available. I have driven new JLs with at least 3 of those tires and they all exhibited the same wandering all over the road and required constant input into the steering wheel to remain in the lane.

This is a mechanical issue related to the steering box and/or programming for the electric motor that controls the box. Jeep is flashing the PCM which updates the calibration and this fixes the issue most of the time. Some guys have steering boxes that just come tight from the factory and need a few thousand miles to wear in. Either way, it'll all in the mechanical portion of the steering.

They'll get it fixed. It's just something we have to deal with during the first few months of a brand new model.

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Took delivery of our Rubi and dealer had 44psi in tires, not sure why they disregard door sticker.

Anyhow, settled in at 34/35psi and it’s perfect now.
Sponsored