Sponsored

Hiding pinch seam

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Blue painters tape, large plastic floor coverings, spray can bed liner and a couple hours is all it took to deal with pinch seam before installing my LOD sliders. Sorry, on wives iPad no pics but I think you get the idea.
Blends away now.
Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Black paint?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Black paint?
I used a can of spray on bed liner to give it a textured and tougher coat. I didn't keep the can but it was whatever they had at Home Depot and I'd guess Rustoleum brand if they make. Here's a pic of the finished look with painted seam and LOD rock rail. If you wheel and plan on using the rails, the LOD have done their job for me real well. They attach direct to the frame so very rigid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hiding pinch seam IMG_8642

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I used a can of spray on bed liner to give it a textured and tougher coat. I didn't keep the can but it was whatever they had at Home Depot and I'd guess Rustoleum brand if they make. Here's a pic of the finished look with painted seam and LOD rock rail. If you wheel and plan on using the rails, the LOD have done their job for me real well. They attach direct to the frame so very rigid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hiding pinch seam IMG_8642

Sorry to revive an old thread. But I am looking at these sliders.

How are the steps on top for using to get in and out?

Looking at the picture you posted it looks like the bolt on plates on the bottom are bowing out on the ends. Is that just the picture or are they bowing out as little? And if so, are they close to sticking out enough they might catch on something while off roading?

I'm torn between these and the Metalcloak flip steps. I have the factory rubi rails now and they do fine. I had them on my JKU and never had issues. And I have come down on rocks pretty hard, used them as pivots while on a rock, etc. Never an issue. So, I don't mind the body mounted rails but I know the frame mount are better. Both companies are having goof black Friday sales.

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I went with the Smittybilt steps/sliders as I liked the look and they came with a flat plate that bolted along the seam to clean it up. They bolt to the frame and hang down level with it as well.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)

Looking at the picture you posted it looks like the bolt on plates on the bottom are bowing out on the ends. Is that just the picture or are they bowing out as little? And if so, are they close to sticking out enough they might catch on something while off roading?

I'm torn between these and the Metalcloak flip steps. I have the factory rubi rails now and they do fine. I had them on my JKU and never had issues. And I have come down on rocks pretty hard, used them as pivots while on a rock, etc. Never an issue. So, I don't mind the body mounted rails but I know the frame mount are better. Both companies are having goof black Friday sales.
My wife seriously injured her back about twelve years ago when she stepped onto a slick mud-covered step on a lifted truck, slipped, and fell. The step was too rounded to provide a secure step.

I recently installed Rockslide Engineering’s steps. So far, so great. Wife loves them. Nice, large, flat surface that lowers to a useful height, instead of a small rounded area that’s only a few inches below the door sill.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Really like the LOD, except for those plates. They get mangled. I ended up removing them. Wish they had a design without them. The rails would look better IMO. Kids and wife used them as steps just fine. Probably going with White Knuckle on my 22.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hiding pinch seam Capture.JPG

20200911-3.JPEG

20200911-1.JPEG

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Besides Ace. Does anyone know of rails/steps that install utilizing the stock sliders? Or ones that hide the pinch seam?
My rock sliders leave the pinch seam exposed. I purchased some 1" wide black body side molding (came with 3M adhesive tape). They covered the rocker pinch weld perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hiding pinch seam 20221124_081753

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
My rock sliders leave the pinch seam exposed. I purchased some 1" wide black body side molding (came with 3M adhesive tape). They covered the rocker pinch weld perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hiding pinch seam 20221124_081753
You got a link for that tape?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Some strategically placed grip tape on tube style sliders will help with traction for climbing up and down.

So far, I've been pleased with the LOD Destroyers. They are a hair less strong compared to the Signatures, because they protrude a bit further outward, but the dedicated step is lower than the tube. Also, the Destroyers do a great job of fully blocking the pinch seam.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hiding pinch seam 20221119_112300
Sponsored