help please with rock rail selection

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Just received my Ace Rock Sliders today and was getting ready to install but the bolts are on there pretty tight. How hard was it for you to get them moving? Also, noticed that there are isolators with the front bolt on each side but not on either of the rears. Is this normal or was it something missed at the factory?
Your fears are so noted.... I purchased 2 sets in Aug 2018 for JLR and JLUR. I did have an issue and it the impact tool is the issue. Just use a good racket set with a 36 inch breaking bar and you will do fine. I did use the impact tool to put them back on...

Go get the ACE and you will be ok. I have the touchup paint and have not needed to use it...
IMG_1539.jpeg
IMG_1541.jpeg
IMG_1722.jpeg
Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
LOD makes a great product. The signature series doesn't cover the pinch seam though. You do not have to remove the body bolts but they do use the smaller bolts to either side of the body bolts, no drilling required but is optional for increased strength. I just ordered the Destroyer series for my 2020 JLUR. I have had the Signatures on my last 3 builds so I decided to switch it up a bit this time.
Installed the LOD signature series and did not even need to loosen the body bolts to install the rails. Must have been lucky.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just received my Ace Rock Sliders today and was getting ready to install but the bolts are on there pretty tight. How hard was it for you to get them moving? Also, noticed that there are isolators with the front bolt on each side but not on either of the rears. Is this normal or was it something missed at the factory?
@JBall

Normal what you are seeing. DO consider taking the $100 you saved when you purchased the Ace's on sale and adding another $100+- and have your stealership Service Dept. do the install.

Dealership will charge you 1-2 hours of labor to do the install. IF/when they break a body bolt they eat the repair time and price of the body bolt. Just be sure to have dealer give you a firm install price in regard to hours charged to you for the install.

Hope you take my recommendation. Can tell you removal of the body bolts can be a real crap shoot lets say. Even guys that wrench often and know the drill have broken off body bolts on the JL.

IF you break a body bolt, your dealer or local shop will charge you a minimum of two hours labor plus parts to do the repair.

Let us know how you make out. Can tell you that you are really going to like the Ace Sliders! I have them on my 2 dr.. NO, I did not install them. Had a dealer tech that had a heat induction tool do the deed.

Do read thru this whole thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...install-hints-from-fellow-jl-jlu-owners.4153/

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
The ACE rock rails are great. I am lucky enough to live close and had them install. I was not willing to play body mount bolt roulette myself.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
@JBall

Normal what you are seeing. DO consider taking the $100 you saved when you purchased the Ace's on sale and adding another $100+- and have your stealership Service Dept. do the install.

Do read thru this whole thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...install-hints-from-fellow-jl-jlu-owners.4153/
This was my thought exactly until I called my local dealer. They don't install non-Mopar parts. Is this a universal policy among authorized Jeep dealers?

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i just did the rustys sliders with step and the bushwacker trail armor

the rustys sliders do not meet your requirements, but most frame mounted rails will not

Most places will not stand behind the paint they put on because if you are using these as intended any coating will come of the second it touches a rock, so i have found over the years a coating that looks good with a rattle can touch up works the best

i went with bush wacker mainly to act as a scuff guard from shoes of people getting in and out and does a good job covering the pinch seem but the sliders for the most part cover that up

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rustys-...r-armor-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-rarr9920jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/bushwac...panelsill-plate-cover-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was my thought exactly until I called my local dealer. They don't install non-Mopar parts. Is this a universal policy among authorized Jeep dealers?
No, not a universal policy. Sure, you might have a dealer say no. My Dealerships GM said ok, as long as they could install new body bolts. GM was afraid previously stressed bolts would break when they went to replace and torque.

Most local body shops will do. Just lock them in on a firm price before they do.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, not a universal policy. Sure, you might have a dealer say no. My Dealerships GM said ok, as long as they could install new body bolts. GM was afraid previously stressed bolts would break when they went to replace and torque.

Most local body shops will do. Just lock them in on a firm price before they do.
Has everyone seen the cost of the body bolts? $15/apiece. That alone would nearly double the cost of the install.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has everyone seen the cost of the body bolts? $15/apiece. That alone would nearly double the cost of the install.
Per my dealership parts receipt for the four, 2 dr. body bolts:
Quantity 2 - Mopar part# 6511826AA $3.85 each
Quantity 2 - Mopar part# 6508326AA $19.83 each - ouch!

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ouch is right. Is there actually a difference between the bolts other than red vs blue Locktite?

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Got my repair at the dealer completed. They used a 6509458AA priced at 17.52 according to my invoice. This was on a 2020 2 Door, and the bolt was the one just below the front of the driver’s door.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
metalcloak for the win.
pinch seam plus
Enough for a small step
Tough
Looks good
Does call for 2 extra drilled holes on the pinch seam. Probably get away without
I have my eye on these when I finally upgrade from stock rails. I just think these and their rear bumper look great.

Jaeth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doublerrealtygroup.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
Has anyone looked at the Metalcloak Overland Flips vs LoD Destroyers?

Very curious about the step height vs the clearance. Yes you'd have to flip the MCs to get full clearance (I believe; haven't seen in person), and the LODs look like they are lower on the frame.

I may be inventing a problem where there isn't one.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
How well does LOD package up their rails for shipping? We all know the shipping companies beat the hell out of large boxes and some vendors do a better job protecting parts than others. I hate receiving brand new painted parts only to have them scratched up from shipping. I want brand new unscratched up parts and reserve the right to scratch them up myself while on the trail.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
How well does LOD package up their rails for shipping? We all know the shipping companies beat the hell out of large boxes and some vendors do a better job protecting parts than others. I hate receiving brand new painted parts only to have them scratched up from shipping. I want brand new unscratched up parts and reserve the right to scratch them up myself while on the trail.
LOD's packaging is second to none. They use the thicker cardboard, wrap the part in plastic, than they fill the box with spray foam expanding insulation. Fellow member @Roky needed a stick of tnt to get the part out.
Sponsored