Sponsored

Help me settle the regear ratio question

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ask your regear shop if big tires void the warranty during break-in. Mine did. Anything over 33” is not warrantied due to being broken in hard by Randy’s Worldwide (AKA Yukon).
I would definitely find a different shop. That’s ridiculous.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I would definitely find a different shop. That’s ridiculous.
I didn’t find out until they handed me the warranty paperwork after the work was done. So too late. I flush tonight, so fingers crossed. I may have a bad bearing, I can hear something coming from the passenger side when the windows are open.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I didn’t find out until they handed me the warranty paperwork after the work was done. So too late. I flush tonight, so fingers crossed. I may have a bad bearing, I can hear something coming from the passenger side when the windows are open.
Ugh. That’s why I decided to just get a press and do it myself. Even if I had to do it twice I’d be money ahead, and now I’m confident doing my own gears.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Ask your regear shop if big tires void the warranty during break-in. Mine did. Anything over 33” is not warrantied due to being broken in hard by Randy’s Worldwide (AKA Yukon).
Wow, I never thought to even ask a question like that, so I'm glad you brought this up!

I'm going to call the guy tomorrow, and hash out an exact price. I will be sure to ask this question. The shop I'm most likely using is a big Yukon guy.

I put the tires on today. You guys knew I couldn't wait until after I got the lift done. I'm still working out issues with the fender flares. These tires aren't a lot taller, but with the new wheels and wider tires, this thing has a totally different stance. It looks like a damn JEEP now. Yee HAAA!!! It's going to be fine on the Rubicon takeoff lift until whenever I can get the TeraFlex lift kit on here. Zero clearance issues stop to stop, so if I do rub anything, it will be the fender flares.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me settle the regear ratio question 1629076416370

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Ugh. That’s why I decided to just get a press and do it myself. Even if I had to do it twice I’d be money ahead, and now I’m confident doing my own gears.
I thought about it hard, but I was scared of the new JL axles. Everybody said stuff like, "These aren't bad once you've done about four of them. Be sure to work with someone who has the first time you do this." I'm a hobby machinist, so I'm comfortable with working to thousandths and taking precision measurements and stuff, but it just seemed like one of those deals where how many weeks do I want my Jeep up on jack stands until I get this sorted out?

I'm really happy for you that you did it yourself!

Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
That feeling when you turn on your monitor, see a picture of a cool Jeep, and realize it's YOUR Jeep. Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s. These were not even on my list of tires I had under consideration, but they most likely will be next time I'm on the market for tires. They seem pretty damn good so far.

I programmed the new tire size, and now all I have to do is figure out the spare tire deal, and change out my turn signals to something that actually fits my new fender flares. Hopefully I can get a little cash toward the regear when I sell the OEM wheels and tires.

So, I know my commentary is going way off the topic of my thread, but to those who have followed me this far, I wonder how many think I should get the tires flipped to put the white letters out.

I'm going with high clearance totally OEM-looking flares, and the aesthetic of this build is kind of low key instead of blingie, but I think the white letters might be just the right amount of bling to offset all the matte black stuff.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Meh, my sidewalls take a lot of abuse. I vote leave them facing in. White seems like it wouldn’t go with green and black anyway.
That's a fair point. White letter tires basically have a white core with a thin layer of black rubber on the outside, and that layer can peel off pretty easily.

I kind of liked the white letters on the factory tires, but then I kind of liked the factory wheels and tires until I laid my eyes on these things. The wheels are pretty common and cheap, but I really like how they look. Especially on this Jeep. Low key. Not too flashy. Easy to hose off. No fake beadlock simulators. Just a good looking wheel that's cheap enough I can thrash it and not worry about rock rash, because they're going to get rock rash.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
When I replied earlier, I had it in my head that I was definitely using a shop. I read your post again. I mean... How hard was it, really? Did you have to use a case spreader?

I'm honestly broke as hell right now after laying out $3500 for wheels, tires, fender flares, and now I have to get new turn signals and a different spare tire setup. I could get a master rebuild kit for like half what it's going to cost me to pay a shop, and I could get a press cheap enough.

The shop wants the Jeep for two or three days. As a DIY guy doing his first axles, could I realistically get one done per weekend? I could do the rear first, and just vow to never touch 4WD until I get the front done.

For whatever it's worth as a data point, the most precise and complicated thing I've ever done in a shop is make some test gears.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me settle the regear ratio question 1629091505811

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
There are some case spreaders and pinion/carrier bearing tools on eBay for not too much coin. Once you use a case spreader, you will be a happy man

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
When I replied earlier, I had it in my head that I was definitely using a shop. I read your post again. I mean... How hard was it, really? Did you have to use a case spreader?

I'm honestly broke as hell right now after laying out $3500 for wheels, tires, fender flares, and now I have to get new turn signals and a different spare tire setup. I could get a master rebuild kit for like half what it's going to cost me to pay a shop, and I could get a press cheap enough.

The shop wants the Jeep for two or three days. As a DIY guy doing his first axles, could I realistically get one done per weekend? I could do the rear first, and just vow to never touch 4WD until I get the front done.

For whatever it's worth as a data point, the most precise and complicated thing I've ever done in a shop is make some test gears.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me settle the regear ratio question 1629091505811
It can easily be done without a case spreader. One axle per weekend is completely reasonable if you take your time. Go read @chevymitchell write-up and watch his videos. It’s simply just not that bad of a job. I highly recommend spicer gears and overhaul kits. They make your life easy.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
It can easily be done without a case spreader. One axle per weekend is completely reasonable if you take your time. Go read @chevymitchell write-up and watch his videos. It’s simply just not that bad of a job. I highly recommend spicer gears and overhaul kits. They make your life easy.
Thanks. I'm going to take a deeper look at this. I would find it deeply satisfying to do the work myself. I've done everything to this Jeep myself. It is truly MY Jeep.

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Ha, so back to the drawing board on settling this. The first shop I contacted was adamant that I really want 4.88s, and I'm screwing the pooch if I put on 4.56s.

I kind of have a different attitude toward all of this after spending about 20 of the last 48 hours crawling around under a dirty Jeep, mostly in the rain. This lift kit just changes things. These wheels and tires just change things. I paid my money, I put in hard time installing the parts. I am committed to good off-road performance, even if I get shitty gas mileage.

I might go with 4.88s

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ha, so back to the drawing board on settling this. The first shop I contacted was adamant that I really want 4.88s, and I'm screwing the pooch if I put on 4.56s.

I kind of have a different attitude toward all of this after spending about 20 of the last 48 hours crawling around under a dirty Jeep, mostly in the rain. This lift kit just changes things. These wheels and tires just change things. I paid my money, I put in hard time installing the parts. I am committed to good off-road performance, even if I get shitty gas mileage.

I might go with 4.88s
If on 35s 4.56 is GREAT. I don't see how you'd regret it.

But you'll probably be happy either way.

What does the guy who told you that drive? If not like yours, well....

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

I might go with 4.88s
Quit stressing. Now is the time to do some testing on your commute with the new tires. Grimm tells us 4th with 3.45's is going to be smack between 5th and 6th with 4.56's. Now with 4.88's 4th will be the same as 6th and 3rd is going to be a little like 4th meaning you are going to pick up a gear right between where 3rd and 4th are now.
Sponsored