Help me decide: Sahara or Rubicon

Brian08

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2500HD
IMO, go with the leather, and then get a seat cover if you want to change the surface contact feel for weather extremes.

I find the leather provides better support especially in the bolsters, and to me is more comfortable for longer trips. I have summer light covers because the F’in black is a heat magnet (though not as bad as the bacon-sizzlin’ armrest IMO), but if you go with the light tan seats that will improve the sun/heat issue a bit... but... likely still a bit sticky when humid. Of course in winter when heated both are fine, and if it’s cold enough to matter, you likely have heavy enough pants/jacket to not notice that much.

I haven’t tried the new Rubi seats yet, still waiting on a test drive from my two prefered dealers, but the new cloth Saharas were ‘meh’ to me, and considering the positive reviews vs the JK seats I think the leather will still be the choice for me.
We have drove the JL Sahara but no dealer local has a JL Rubicon as of yet. They all tell me they are on the way. We drove the JK Rubicon and did not like the ride but we didnt hit the interstate with it. Mostly backroads.
Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
So setting up a Sahara with the 33" KO2 tires and replacing the running boards (which apparently just get in the way) with rock rails would liekly get me the look I'm after. So for me, this decision really comes down to the benefits (for a non-rock climber) of the AUTO 4HI mode. I'd love to know more about its performance? It's effect on MPG's? And whether one should be concerned about durability or longevity?
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. The AUTO 4HI is a game changer and really suits my needs for those sloppy wintery commute days better than a Rubicon. I have a '14 JKUR now and in process of buying a JL Sahara. I had all the intentions of taking the Rubicon on the trails but couldn't find the time or motivation to add that activity to my weekend routines and now that a new one is pushing $50K the last thing I would do is take my daily driver on a trail. If I have a trail itch in the future I'll buy an ATV, in the meantime, Sahara AUTO 4HI with 33" KO2 for me.

Brian08

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2500HD
i would have no need for auto transfer case . I am in the south and we dont get but a inch of snow sometimes.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Slightly bigger tires on the Sahara combined with the taller gearing means a little less capability to tow. I’m still on the fence too! Will largely be towing behind my motor home, so the slightly added weight of the Rubi is not a plus.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Slightly bigger tires on the Sahara combined with the taller gearing means a little less capability to tow. I’m still on the fence too! Will largely be towing behind my motor home, so the slightly added weight of the Rubi is not a plus.
??? The Sahara has 18" rims over 17" rims but the tire size fitted is different making them the same 32" as found on the Sport. The Rubicon has 17" rims but has the larger tires at 33".

Yes the gearing for Sport and Sahara is 3:45 and the Rubicon is 4:10.

Sponsored

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
Probably ignorant question but are there any significant driveability differences on paved roads or at highway speeds between the Sahara with Selec-trac and the Rubicon?

I guess another way to ask would be if you would have a concern with the Rubicon taking longer trips on the interstate at highway speeds or letting a younger driver drive the car around town?

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Probably ignorant question but are there any significant driveability differences on paved roads or at highway speeds between the Sahara with Selec-trac and the Rubicon?

I guess another way to ask would be if you would have a concern taking longer trips on the interstate at highway speeds or letting a younger driver drive the car around town?
People have stated the Rubicon is going to be a somewhat stiffer ride as it is purposefully built for off road. It does have different suspension. With that being said some do not find it bothersome at all. Really you are going to want to take each one for a test drive and see how they feel to you. How I feel driving the different models may be entirely different from what you feel / expect.

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

I am a Jeep newbie, and I absolutely love all the great information available here on this forum!

I will be purchasing my first ever Jeep in January as a 50th birthday gift to myself, and I cannot decide between the Sahara and the Rubicon. As far as I can tell, the main difference between the two is the gear ratios. I am sure there are other trim/option items that are different, but I cannot figure them all out.

My dilemma is this vehicle will be my daily driver, and for running around on weekends, but it will not get a lot of off road use other than the occasional dirt road, or light trail. I love the Rubicon look, but it seems like a waste to get all the trial related items and never use them. I welcome any and all opinions on this...I need help.

Should also mention that I will want upgraded wheels/tires as I dont like the stock versions...if that helps with some of your opinions.

Help a guy decide!!!!
You should buy the one with the highest resale value a rubicon