'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I may have to rethink putting a griddle on it and go with a a small folding table
I was wanting to do the same thing you're trying to do, griddle on tailgate table. Eventually I just decided I wanted the griddle more than I wanted a tailgate table which is why I went the route I did. It was my view that the griddle was more versatile than a grill. Turns out I really like my griddle, there are not many things I prefer to cook on my gas grill instead now. But with that said, I think if I had already had a tailgate table a small gas grill would be the way I would have gone. I think you might have more luck finding one in the size you need and you can throw a cast iron griddle on top of it. The other option could be a skottle. Seems like you could pack them down much smaller than a griddle, seem like they're versatile cookers. Just set the skottle off the end of your tailgate and use your table as a prep surface. Very similar to what I'm doing with my griddle but I suspect the skottle will take up less space in the Jeep. As I recall my blackstone was cheaper than the skottles I was looking at though.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I was wanting to do the same thing you're trying to do, griddle on tailgate table. Eventually I just decided I wanted the griddle more than I wanted a tailgate table which is why I went the route I did. It was my view that the griddle was more versatile than a grill. Turns out I really like my griddle, there are not many things I prefer to cook on my gas grill instead now. But with that said, I think if I had already had a tailgate table a small gas grill would be the way I would have gone. I think you might have more luck finding one in the size you need and you can throw a cast iron griddle on top of it. The other option could be a skottle. Seems like you could pack them down much smaller than a griddle, seem like they're versatile cookers. Just set the skottle off the end of your tailgate and use your table as a prep surface. Very similar to what I'm doing with my griddle but I suspect the skottle will take up less space in the Jeep. As I recall my blackstone was cheaper than the skottles I was looking at though.
thanks for the idea on a grill with a griddle topper, never thought of that

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
a side note... while setting up to do these measurements I found my griddle is severely warped. It was not like this when I last used it, and I am not sure if it is permanent. We have been very cold lately and it lives in the carry bag in an unheated garage. It may even out when it warms up, but if it stays this warped it will be unusable as is. This is the first disappointment I have had with my blackstone. Just thought I should mention it.
the Blackstone seems to get decent marks for its performance but I am concerned about the warping issue you mentioned,
It has warmed up here so I set up the griddle and it was perfectly straight on setup and through out the cook. So either it was due to the extreme cold at the time or when I was doing the measurements my head was wobbly. I dunno, but it's all good now!

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to a local Ace Hardware tomorrow that supposedly has the Blackstone 17” griddle with the front grease trap and I am hoping they have one on display so I could test fit it on my tailgate table, I know the table will hold the weight as it’s rated for 45# and the griddle weighs 25# I just need to see how much clearance I will have if any

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well made my way over to Ace Hardware and just bought the griddle to see if it will fit and I think I will be fine, with the bottom feet about 1” from the edge I have about 3” behind the griddle and the back of my tailgate table is hammered stainless and is rated to hold 45# and the griddle is 25#
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me choose a portable Griddle AEF310B5-08FF-4234-B9A6-ADDD9518CA16
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me choose a portable Griddle E57EED61-DEF3-4B75-BF32-E57FA0E805D2
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me choose a portable Griddle 6C38A089-93A9-4626-8F0A-ECD546E3EDF0

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Gave my Blackstone a test run at home just to see if any issues that came up and it gets hot pretty fast and seemed to cook pretty evenly for a single burner, I wanted to see how bad the grease was and also how much heat came out the back and I was able to slide my hand behind it and it was just warm but not hot enough to cause any issues.

The meat of choice was some loaded burgers that had chopped peppers, onions, grated cheese and some spices all mixed in before they hit the flat top.

Over all very pleased

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me choose a portable Griddle 8E43EAB7-5AD3-4E9D-9DB5-422650FBA8E7
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me choose a portable Griddle 8DD4EDBF-5035-4C42-8665-4D625A50CDF7

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Is there a splatter guard option? Won’t you get oil all over your tailgate?

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a splatter guard option? Won’t you get oil all over your tailgate?
The back part of the tailgate table is hammered stainless but yes I was concerned about splatter but was pleasantly surprised, a quick wipe with a countertop wipe got what little there was wiped off very easily and quickly.
Sponsored