Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
JL is the first vehicle I've owned WITH a washer fluid warning light! I was like whoa, cool! At first, then I was like... Well shit, now I have to buy fluid to turn the damn light off.....
Do we have one Dave? I didn’t even know.
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Do we have one Dave? I didn’t even know.
Yeah, we do! Hang on... Was this sarcastic? Like, "I always keep my fluids topped off, so I wouldn't know". That ain't me! I'd forget to put gas in if not for the warning light... and even that isn't a guarantee based on the three 1gal service station gas cans I have in my garage, hah!

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Sounds like a first world issue to me:) Try the billet aluminum handle I have on my Mustang in the winter or summer - bad idea but it looks cool:)

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
I never really rec'd any great feedback on this... my shift knob (manual) seems to "rock" left and right about a cm. It is dead solid front to rear, but certainly now feels a tad loose side to side. it's the littlest thing you notice a a red light...
I drove around Long Island on Saturday looking for a dealership with another JL Manual with no success... literally 100's of brand new JL's, all automatics. The dealer who also drives a stick told me he now notices his shift knob "wobbling" the slightest bit...

Anyone else feel this in their shift KNOB? It's starting to make me a little nuts. I truly don't recall if it did this out of the showroom or before the dealer repair... I have 3,500 miles on it and it hasn't gotten any worse (or better)

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never really rec'd any great feedback on this... my shift knob (manual) seems to "rock" left and right about a cm. It is dead solid front to rear, but certainly now feels a tad loose side to side. it's the littlest thing you notice a a red light...
I drove around Long Island on Saturday looking for a dealership with another JL Manual with no success... literally 100's of brand new JL's, all automatics. The dealer who also drives a stick told me he now notices his shift knob "wobbling" the slightest bit...

Anyone else feel this in their shift KNOB? It's starting to make me a little nuts. I truly don't recall if it did this out of the showroom or before the dealer repair... I have 3,500 miles on it and it hasn't gotten any worse (or better)
Doesnt seem like anything to worry about unless it starts getting worse. I was showing my son the slop in my 89 Thunderbirds shiftier the other day while driving in gear - more like a couple inches! I have a B&M shifter I just havent had time to install it but the old one is shot to say the least!

Conforte

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2 Door
Doesnt seem like anything to worry about unless it starts getting worse. I was showing my son the slop in my 89 Thunderbirds shiftier the other day while driving in gear - more like a couple inches! I have a B&M shifter I just havent had time to install it but the old one is shot to say the least!
I know... my 1079 Jeep J10 had a few inches of play in the shifter when cruising in 4th gear... this isn't the shifter... it's the SHIFT KNOB on the shaft... its certainly not a problem or dangerous... but it is really @#$%ing annoying in a $45k brand new vehicle....

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Sounds like a first world issue to me:) Try the billet aluminum handle I have on my Mustang in the winter or summer - bad idea but it looks cool:)
I still have the aluminum knob from my old mustang (OEM Bullitt style) as well as the aluminum knob from my 500 Abarth (OEM European import)... I swapped the original knob back in before I traded them because I couldn't part with 'em. I'm still hunting around for an aluminum or stainless knob that'll work with the JL's reverse lockout (ideally without the speed dawg adapter). But, yeah, driving gloves required until the ball acclimated.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd

The knob just pulls off/pushes on. You could try giving it some gentle coercion with a rubber mallet to snug it up or maybe removing it and reseating it. A loose knob would drive me bonkers!

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know... my 1079 Jeep J10 had a few inches of play in the shifter when cruising in 4th gear... this isn't the shifter... it's the SHIFT KNOB on the shaft... its certainly not a problem or dangerous... but it is really @#$%ing annoying in a $45k brand new vehicle....
I'll look at the wifes JL when she gets home, I never noticed any play but its probably there in hers as well.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The knob just pulls off/pushes on. You could try giving it some gentle coercion with a rubber mallet to snug it up or maybe removing it and reseating it. A loose knob would drive me bonkers!
Better would be a wrap of some electrical tape to shim it perhaps....

iklln6

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the soft top and I'm paranoid about letting it warm up without my butt in the seat before the commute into DC.
What I do (2018 JL Rubicon; hard top) is push the button (and clutch) to start the Jeep, crank heater et al., step out of the jeep with key fob in pocket., close door and hit "Lock" but only for extra comfort and walk away -- even if you have the doors taken off, though, the key fob in your pocket (and not in the vehicle) nobody EVERYBODY can drive off becauseREGARDLESS OF IF the key fob is not in the vehicle. Not saying it wouldn't be an attractive and seemingly inviting situation to every miscreant that wanders by, but they can't CAN AND WILL drive off. It feels very very (very very very very being new) wrong walking away from your vehicle and letting it out of eyesight while it's running...but you'll get over it eventually (um is that really such a good thing?)

UPDATE: FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE RUNNING UNATTENDED WITH THE DOORS UNLOCKED! I JUST PERFORMED SOME FIELD RESEARCH--STARTED THE JEEP, PUT THE KEY FOB ON THE PORCH, AND DROVE AROUND THE BLOCK. Not having the key fob in the vehicle only meant I couldn't start it again after turning it off! YOUR VEHICLE WILL BE HAPPILY STOLEN IF YOU START YOUR VEHICLE AND LEAVE IT UNATTENDED WITH THE DOORS UNLOCKED (side note: it may be only slightly less happily stolen if you lock it)

I wish the shifter was heated like the seats and steering wheel. I tend to drive with my hand always resting on the shifter. Is that an actual thing? A heated Shifter?
I just have to say, on the occasions I've had the foresight to do the above method and heat the Jeep before my delicate butt gets in to drive away, I never thought to myself "this is a cold shifter." On the occasions I have not and am destined to drive away shivering for a couple miles until the heater heats up and do the whole routine where I sit on my right hand to keep it warm only to take it out to swing the shifter back, then forward and over, then back...I have never thought to myself "this is a cold shifter."

I will give you a genuine response to this, though, but only because the previous replies seem to suggest that you are not, in fact, alone in your interest for reprieve of this...problem. The temperature an object apparently "feels" is less due to the temperature of the object and more due to the rate of heat transfer from the object to your hand. Put a piece of wood and a block of aluminum in the freezer overnight and touch each -- the aluminum block -feels- colder than the wood even though they are the same temperature, because heat can transfer to your hand from the aluminum faster than the wood. The comment with the knitted shifter cap would actually be the hands-down bets low-tech low-cost solution to your problem ( https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/heated-shifter-for-manual.43476/page-2#post-961228 )
the only thing I imagine being offputting about its application I suppose would be slippery feel of a loose knitted cap sitting over the shifter. Try a sock? or some other fabric -- the plastic is the 'coldest' thing you feel with your hand, the next coldest being the leather, because they transfer heat so well with the surface area of your hand in contact for the heat to conduct through (woven fabric will not be in complete contact and much of the surface area of your hand actually has an air gap between skin and the nearest thread or yarn string or whatever it'd be called). If you find a sock that's a good fit with tolerable feel, ffs just bring it out with you so it's warm from inside or throw it in the dryer first for a true Kardashian experience.

Use the wisdom of this lesson in heat transfer if you ever decide to get a new shifter knob -- that fancy chrome skull is going to feel cold af. Granted, it will warm up faster as heat transfers from your hand to the metal, but idk where to go with this or what people anything anymore [the existence of] this question has thrown my reality out of whack and i think i'm going to

Last edited:

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
even if you have the doors taken off, though, the key fob in your pocket (and not in the vehicle) nobody can drive off because the key fob is not in the vehicle. Not saying it wouldn't be an attractive and seemingly inviting situation to every miscreant that wanders by, but they can't drive off.
Hmm, what would prevent one to drive it without the key in the vehicle - just wondering? I can imagine an auto set-up, where the sofware would not allow gear selection without the key in the vehicle, but how about a manual? I'll have to test this :)

iklln6

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to test this :)
Please do -- as I wrote the response the elephant in my head kept honking (is that what elephants do?) at me: HOW DO YOU KNOW THE DAMN THING CAN'T BE DRIVEN OFF WITHOUT THE FOB despite the warning beeps that the key fob been removed from the cabin. I have the luxury of locking my doors when I leave the vehicle running unattended like the manual tells me not to. I just looked through the manual and didn't see anything specifically saying it can't be driven away when running and a key fob far far away. Can it? The emergency brake can certainly be disengaged and an athletic criminal can certainly push-steal it... Now I have to go test this myself. There will be an update

A(n unrelated) fun fact I found while looking through the manual:
Page 18 has a "WARNING!" box with the text, "Push the Mechanical Key Release Button only with the key fob facing away from your body, especially your eyes and objects that may be damaged, such as clothing."
The damn button is always getting pushed in my pocket and that stupid key switchblade-combs out. Does this not happen to everyone? Should I consider myself lucky I already had kids?

UPDATE: I DID TEST THIS AND YOUR VEHICLE CAN BE DRIVEN AWAY REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE KEY FOB IS LOCATED IF IT IS LEFT RUNNING UNATTENDED
Sponsored

Last edited: