Sponsored

Have You Ever Done A Ceramic Coating On Your Jeep?

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
I used the Quarts CQ UK 3.0 on my JL the week after I got it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4MMP2B/ref=twister_B08YJLDMHK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The application was straight forward and it provides a nice additional layer. The application only took about 2 hours. I tested it on another painted surface I had lying around and took a screwdriver to it after a week. It did scratch, but it was pretty tough to do so.

Overall, it's a nice additional protective layer. I use the CarPro Reset and Hydr02 wash solution with a foam cannon and the results are amazing. No waxing, no buffing and it's quick and easy.
Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Applied Adam's graphene ceramic coating this spring on my own to save on insane install prices. Sold the other half of the bottle to my buddy for him to do his truck as well so all in all I was out 40 bucks plus an hour of time. (not including the prep work. total was probably 3-4 hours)

So far, absolutely love it! As others have mentioned it really makes the color pop. It was super easy to apply after watching a few youtube tutorials, and just makes everything insanely easy to keep clean. Not sure if this is the same for all brands, but the Adam's was advertised as an all surfaces coating, so I put it on the plastics and glass as well. I didn't use it on the tires because I couldn't find anything conclusive about whether or not it would promote premature dry rotting. (Also, if you have a soft top, DO NOT use it on that. Convertible tops have their own special needs and ceramic coating isn't one of them) Jeep looked like it had just come off the showroom again.

They claim 7 years for the version I got. While I doubt it'll last that long, if I even get 3 out of it before having to reapply it will have been worth the 40 bucks to me :)

Edit: It's worth noting that ceramic coating isn't magic and will still get dirty. Road grime, salt, spray from vehicles ahead of you, they'll all coat your coating and make you think it's not working anymore. Give it a good wash and it comes back to life. They make soaps that are specific for keeping ceramic coatings in good condition as well. Just do your research on it and you'll love having it.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Yes we had our 2019 Sahara professionally ceramic coated. The dealer paid for it after they did such a horrible job trying to paint correct it. If properly cared for, they can last several years for a proper high end coating.

Well worth it, I got my Durango graphene coated which is another step up from ceramic.
IMG_5906.jpeg
41F507D8-AE09-47EF-BEE1-E24B9550C233.jpeg
5349C12D-ACD8-4AA7-A367-077C65036045.jpeg

J-Dub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe Rubicon
Paying $1k+ for a "coating" on your vehicle is one of the worst current gimmicks there is. It's one thing if you can buy it yourself for less than $100 and apply it yourself, but these "coatings" are no better than a high quality polymer wax that you can get for $50-80.

I got to try out Ceramic Pro for free thanks to a connection that I have in the business. They did the full treatment over several days and I even got a "lifetime warranty" as long as I brought it back to the installer once a year for "maintenance". Obviously it looked amazing the day I picked it up...but by the 3 month mark I could already see the protection breaking down. By 6 months there really didn't appear to be anything left. At the 1 year "maintenance" appointment they wanted $580 for "touch up" (lol they were just re-applying because there was no coating left). I declined. I'm back to good 'ole polymer wax because it actually lasts longer. A bottle of Pinnacle Souveran costs $40 and covers all my vehicles for a year...that Ceramic Pro debacle would have cost me $2200 for the first year and over $500 each additional if I didn't get a promotional deal...for less than six months of coverage.
That was your problem, Ceramic Pro is overpriced and an outdated coating. They're purely a marketing company with a coating. There are far superior pro applied coatings,

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Youtube, Project Farm, Ceramic coating - Turtle Wax Hybrid and some machines from HF ( and a little elbow grease with microfiber cloths) ...glass like finish on clear coat paint.
I agree, for a couple bucks and a Sunday morning Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions or Griots 3-in-1 will last well over a year or two. Add a few layers or an annual recoat and you'll be in good shape.

Sponsored

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
On white?? May not be worth it (white hides so much)

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
That was your problem, Ceramic Pro is overpriced and an outdated coating. They're purely a marketing company with a coating. There are far superior pro applied coatings,
Yup, that 'ole chestnut "well the one you used is garbage, you should use the one i'm using!". Same claim that's been made since the dawn of overpriced waxes. Those are all marketing too.

Like I said, if you can get something for $100 or less and apply it yourself, by all means go for it. But nothing is worth $1k+ and the notion of a "permanent" coating is hilarious.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

I put a coat of the Turtle Wax Hybrid on the front of my Willys after getting off all the bugs from our trip back from the dealer in Idaho. Protection and looks are nice, but keeping the bugs off even more of the benefit. I'll reapply prior to our trip to Yellowstone this fall. Based on a couple of comments I'll try it on the fenders and roof, too.

Dang bursitis and arthritis in my shoulders make my hand buffing a thing of the past - I may have to use a buffer.

J-Dub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe Rubicon
Yup, that 'ole chestnut "well the one you used is garbage, you should use the one i'm using!". Same claim that's been made since the dawn of overpriced waxes. Those are all marketing too.

Like I said, if you can get something for $100 or less and apply it yourself, by all means go for it. But nothing is worth $1k+ and the notion of a "permanent" coating is hilarious.
I never said to use what I use, I'm just saying the one you tried is hands down one of the worst and over promises their timelines. Any coating manufacturer that puts a timeline guarantee on their coatings is putting out false claims. You're lucky to get 4-5 years out of a pro grade coating.

PDXSting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '23 JTRD
Yes we had our 2019 Sahara professionally ceramic coated. The dealer paid for it after they did such a horrible job trying to paint correct it. If properly cared for, they can last several years for a proper high end coating.

Well worth it, I got my Durango graphene coated which is another step up from ceramic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Have You Ever Done A Ceramic Coating On Your Jeep? 5349C12D-ACD8-4AA7-A367-077C65036045
Jeep Wrangler JL Have You Ever Done A Ceramic Coating On Your Jeep? 5349C12D-ACD8-4AA7-A367-077C65036045
Ok, seriously, those ceiling lights are awesome.

Sponsored

PDXSting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '23 JTRD
Just don't let the bozos at Freeman Motor Co. in PDX do it. smh... :-(

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I never said to use what I use, I'm just saying the one you tried is hands down one of the worst and over promises their timelines.
I know but the statement you made was basically the same - that the particular one I used was just a bad one. No matter which one I use, there will always be someone claiming it's garbage...same as its always been.

Any coating manufacturer that puts a timeline guarantee on their coatings is putting out false claims. You're lucky to get 4-5 years out of a pro grade coating.
That was pretty much my point. Coatings are no different than good waxes in longevity...anyone who claims their coating can hold up for a year or more is playing the classic "snake oil" game. They all do the same thing that Ceramic Pro does - come back for a "check up" when what they are actually doing is just re-applying the product...and charging the customer more. I can do the same thing in my driveway in 30 mins with a product that costs 1/10th as much.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
I agree, for a couple bucks and a Sunday morning Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions or Griots 3-in-1 will last well over a year or two. Add a few layers or an annual recoat and you'll be in good shape.
I used the Griots on both our vehicles this Spring. Really happy with the results. Plan on doing a recoat in the Fall.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Even the stuff off the shelf for home use takes a lot of time. Good wash, clay bar the vehicle to get rid of contaminates, then finally put on the ceramic coat. Probably most of a full day. Lot of $$ to pay for a detailers time to do that.
I would suggest that is not enough steps for 2 reasons. No paint, even right off dealer lot is not perfect and needs some spot correction. Other thing is clay bar micro mars the paint, and it needs correction after that to be right. Without some kind of paint correction (ideally) Ceramic shouldn't be applied. I know in the real world doesn't always play out that way.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Paying $1k+ for a "coating" on your vehicle is one of the worst current gimmicks there is. It's one thing if you can buy it yourself for less than $100 and apply it yourself, but these "coatings" are no better than a high quality polymer wax that you can get for $50-80.

I got to try out Ceramic Pro for free thanks to a connection that I have in the business. They did the full treatment over several days and I even got a "lifetime warranty" as long as I brought it back to the installer once a year for "maintenance". Obviously it looked amazing the day I picked it up...but by the 3 month mark I could already see the protection breaking down. By 6 months there really didn't appear to be anything left. At the 1 year "maintenance" appointment they wanted $580 for "touch up" (lol they were just re-applying because there was no coating left). I declined. I'm back to good 'ole polymer wax because it actually lasts longer. A bottle of Pinnacle Souveran costs $40 and covers all my vehicles for a year...that Ceramic Pro debacle would have cost me $2200 for the first year and over $500 each additional if I didn't get a promotional deal...for less than six months of coverage.
I would partly agree they are way oversold, and generally overpriced. But definitely believe a good coating is worth the time for those who care.

Yes you can get a coating product, with applicators for around $100. BUT that's like saying you can do a full respray paint on a car for a few hundred $$. All the quality of the result is in the prep. Not everyone has the tools, time, or knowledge to correctly prep the surface, which includes a strip wash, clay, full polish, prep spray, apply, cure. The polish stage alone requires (arguably) some pricey tools and products.

As far as maintenance, the ceramic coat itself does need chemical decontamination to rejuvenate after 6 months to a year exactly as you describe. That's why I redo mine every year. If I'm going to go to all the effort anyway, may as well layer up.

I mean, if you really are motivated, you could wash and wax monthly, with clay bar once a year, and would be really good off. I used to do exactly this in my younger years, my car had the slickest finish from built up wax. But waxes aren't terribly durable, especially in the hot sun. Love the depth of wax though.

Lots of different ways to skin the cat.
Sponsored