Sponsored

Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller?

When you push the knob to activate the manual brake option do you get warning lights on the dash?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
@Rubi II - Great to hear that the dealership was able to get this taken care of for you.
Thanks, got the tsb installed. Now I am wondering ae there any lights on the Mopar controller. It use to show the numbers in red. I might have a defective one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, got the tsb installed. Now I am wondering ae there any lights on the Mopar controller. It use to show the numbers in red. I might have a defective one.
The controller will only have lights when a trailer is connected.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The controller will only have lights when a trailer is connected.
Thanks for the reply, I connected a Curt tester and the lights still did not turn on. I will have to try an actual trailer I guess.

Screenshot_20210218-181734_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
We are picking up our JLUR Diesel in about 2 weeks and we did order the towing package. I will be talking to the dealership about installing the OEM brake controller.

Is there still a problem with the OEM brake controller?
Does the recent TSB resolve the problems with error messages showing up when you push the controller knob?

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are picking up our JLUR Diesel in about 2 weeks and we did order the towing package. I will be talking to the dealership about installing the OEM brake controller.

Is there still a problem with the OEM brake controller?
Does the recent TSB resolve the problems with error messages showing up when you push the controller knob?
Add it to your purchase installed, let the dealership figure it out. I had my 2020 JLU in the shop 2 weeks ago and its finally working. There are various reasons, but you maybe fine seeing it's a 2021.

Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Just keep in mind that the Mopar brake controller doesn't give you any feedback regarding the status of your trailer brakes. Example, when I hooked my camper up few weeks ago to take it out for maintenance, my Tekonsha P3 brake controller said "warning brake short NO BRAKES" when I got to the service location they found the brake line was cut. (Assuming some sort of road debris must have done it) I was planning to get the Mopar brake controller but I realized I likely wouldn't have known the brakes were not working until I needed them to work and may have resulted in a crash. I decided to stick with the Tekonsha P3. I don't think the Mopar controller gives any kind of warnings like this.... does it? I could be wrong.

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
Just keep in mind that the Mopar brake controller doesn't give you any feedback regarding the status of your trailer brakes. Example, when I hooked my camper up few weeks ago to take it out for maintenance, my Tekonsha P3 brake controller said "warning brake short NO BRAKES" when I got to the service location they found the brake line was cut. (Assuming some sort of road debris must have done it) I was planning to get the Mopar brake controller but I realized I likely wouldn't have known the brakes were not working until I needed them to work and may have resulted in a crash. I decided to stick with the Tekonsha P3. I don't think the Mopar controller gives any kind of warnings like this.... does it? I could be wrong.
As far as I know, the Mopar doesn’t provide that feed back which I would like. My F350 does that. Where did you install your P3 and could you post a,picture of the installation?

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Sure I will post a pic soon. I currently have it in my 2018 but I realize now I installed it too low and it hits my knee. I will be moving it over to my 2021 4xe when it finally comes in but I plan to install it higher next time. Basically it's on the dash below the steering wheel on the right side. There is a round vent in that area. I plan to reinstall it closer to that vent in the 2021.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Here is where I mounted the Tekonsha P3. It's way too low though. I will be mounting close to that vent in the 2021.

20210305_133751.jpg

20210305_133805.jpg

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
I had the P3 in my '11 Grand Cherokee, loved it. I am torn between the P3 & the RedArc. I like the integrated look of the Mopar, but this forum is pushing me away from the Mopar. And besides, in Canada, I can get the P3 on Amazon for under $200CDN! Must be on sale.

Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Yea the integrated Mopar is so appealing appearance wise but after my recent trailer brake failure I'm absolutely sticking with my P3. I likely wouldn't have realized they weren't working until I needed them in an emergency stop! Plus I already have it and I would have to pay $650+ to buy the Mopar and have it installed. I know I would never be comfortable with the Mopar since it doesnt give any feed back on the status of your brakes.

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
Here is where I mounted the Tekonsha P3. It's way too low though. I will be mounting close to that vent in the 2021.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 20210305_133805

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 20210305_133805
Thanks for the photo. We picked up our 2021 JLU and will look at the area you mentioned to install P3 — out of the way of my knees

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I think you're making your situation bigger than it really is when it sounds like its more of a poor practice situation. Anytime you hook up a trailer you should:
- make sure the lights work,
- do a quick visual check of chains, tires, etc
- and, you should do a brake check as soon as you are rolling. This is 2fold, one to make sure you're brakes work and 2 to adjust your brakes for the weight the trailer is. Before I've left my neighborhood I have already played with the brakes to feel the trailer pull my jeep and turned them down so they don't lockup.
If you have your brakes adjusted correctly (for anything in weight of what the JLs can tow) you should feel the trailer just slightly pull on your tow vehicle when braking and if they aren't working you will feel the trailer push. If your trailer isn't heavy enough to do this then it doesn't need brakes. Even proportional brake controllers need a tune/adjustment to dial them in right.

I think if you did this basic "does everything work" checks you wouldn't need to rely on a little box to tell you that something is a skew. I've towed a lot and never needed more than a brake controller and a quick safety check. Now I've had a fancy unit like the P3 and they are great, but the Mopar one gives you lights when a trailer is connected, it is applying power to the brakes, and flashes if faults are detected.

The P3 is a nicer unit, don't get me wrong, but the Mopar unit is super clean and stealth which I think is great. Personally I don't like having those knee bashing boxes and from my experiences the Redarc Elite is the best brake controller, but I'm trying the mopar one out and see what I think of how it works.

From its manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? IMG_6849

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Oh so the Mopar one does give light indicators? I had been asking this all along and responses said no indicators. I can live with colored lights! I will definitely reconsider the Mopar one as I also do not like having to mount the P3 and banging my knee on it. Its also overkill big time for what I'm towing. I really prefer the clean install of the Mopar one.

By the way, It wasn't really a poor practice situation. I would have had to climb under the camper and visually inspect the brake lines to find that there was a cut in the line. The trailer lights were all still functioning. I camp alone so my standard practice when I pull out is I call my roommate and he stands at the front door and watches me test all my lights and turn signals and everything checked out. There is no indicator of electric brake failure that I know of other than the P3. I also check tire pressure before every trip.

I hear you on the stop and go brake check, and I should have done that, but I hadn't been doing that as I was always able to just rely on the P3 to see that pressure was being applied. The P3 shows in numbers the degree of braking being applied. In the case the morning I pulled out and the brakes weren't working, the P3 was showing intermittent brake connectivity so I'm assuming the line wasn't completely severed but eventually was by the time I got on the highway. I honestly thought the P3 was malfunctioning and not actual brake failure. Dumb of me to think that! I should default to the opposite assumption.

My trailer is about 2700 pounds, so I'm not going to feel it pushing the Jeep much unless I did a slam on the brakes scenario like when I'm initially setting up the controller.

Thanks for posting the page from the Mopar controller. This is a game changer.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
After I hook up the first thing I do at the start of leaving is check brakes using the manual brake option, get up to 20-25mph then hit the manual brake and feel for the trailer brakes to engage and slow the vehicle down. I do this every time to verify brakes and adjust brakes if needed, just good practice. I also check all running lights, turn signals, hazard function and brake lights before every trip.
Sponsored