Gratuitous towing pics

philbar715

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Do you know what your tongue weight is on that setup, and what hitch are you using? (actually it looks like you got rid of the spare tire)

Still pulling around my ~5000lbs boat and trailer.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 104851.png

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely looking forward to seeing more gratuitous pics of towing. I’m about to embark on installing a tow hitch on my two-door to pull a small ~850 lbs cargo trailer so hopefully a few months from now I can contribute to this important thread.

OP
OP
00 Trans Ram

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Do you know what your tongue weight is on that setup, and what hitch are you using? (actually it looks like you got rid of the spare tire)

Still pulling around my ~5000lbs boat and trailer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Screenshot 2023-05-02 104851
Nice looking Trophy! What is that . . . a late 90s or early 00s?

I can't find the weigh receipt from my current boat. But, I had a 1997 Wellcraft 23WA that I weighed. It was practically the same weight as my current one.

My tongue weight is right around 400lbs. I went to a CAT scale and got it weighed. Put the Jeep on the front scales and the boat on the rear. Then weighed them separately (just unhooked trailer). Jeep was 4600, boat was 5240, unhooked. With them hooked up, it was 5000 and 4840.

CAT scales boat-trailer weight.png

20210523_111221.jpg

philbar715

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice looking Trophy! What is that . . . a late 90s or early 00s?

I can't find the weigh receipt from my current boat. But, I had a 1997 Wellcraft 23WA that I weighed. It was practically the same weight as my current one.

My tongue weight is right around 400lbs. I went to a CAT scale and got it weighed. Put the Jeep on the front scales and the boat on the rear. Then weighed them separately (just unhooked trailer). Jeep was 4600, boat was 5240, unhooked. With them hooked up, it was 5000 and 4840.
Its a 2006, with an inboard 4.3 v6. My rough guess on my weight is 5500lbs with a full tank. I am currently battling my spare tire and hitch clearances, my trailer is fairly tall and its got a big surge brake coupler on it that makes it very high. I just got a longer ball mount today so i need to test it soon.

do you have any issues and how far do you tow regularly? My guess is we are the only two on this forum who pull this much!!

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
93 Reinell 20' open bow w/5.0 V8. A little heavy, but I only live a couple blocks from the boat launch. I have no idea what she weighs. She's paid for, in pristine condition, and still hauls butt, for an old boat. It's the only boat i have. Wouldn't matter what she weighed. The JLUR does just fine for my situation. 🙂

20230730_074202.jpg

Sponsored

philbar715

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is a poor photo, but still pulling around ~5000lbs boat. 12 miles each way at 45 and 55mph 2 lane highway. 3.6 v6. no issues, coolant temps stay around 215, trans at 199. average almost 12mpg at 58mph highway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics 1698680065900

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
need a build thread reference for that, i'm in.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
need a build thread reference for that, i'm in.
Ok - here you go. Build thread:

Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com)

And here's a shorter thread:

Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Suspensions | Expedition Portal

It started out very simple, but then it became a fun project unto itself as I learned about what worked well and what needed to be improved (sounds like a Jeep project doesn't it).

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Jeeptrailer001

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Alaska%20remainder%20of%20trip%20004

This Mini Harbor Freight Trailer thread (first one linked above) is a very long thread (over 3500 posts & not just from me - others had great input too). I will say that thread is very comprehensive, and it shows my trailer's (and some others') progression from its early beginnings to where it is now. If you can sit and read through the whole thing, you'll be set to build one for yourself. It would make a great winter project. You can make it as simple or as complex as you want. Mine started with a wood slat tub.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Overland Adventure.2

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Overland adventure.10

I am a nurse, not in the trailer business. I can't weld (minimal if any welding needed to build this thing). If you can work on your Jeep, cut metal and drill holes, you can build one of these. It is based off a little 4' HF-type trailer frame. The tongue's been extended, suspension swapped out, axle swapped out, and a lot of stuff just bolted onto the frame and tub.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Trip.1 (2)

This trailer has literally been across the country a couple of times at least, and up into Alaska and Canada more than once. It has done the TAT, IDBDR, WABDR, etc. It has taken a beating. The tub... think of an aluminum truck toolbox with a hinged lid in the shape of a WWII trailer tub - it's nothing fancy. Let me know how I can help you build one for yourself.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics Willys and trailer.4 (2)

Some folks will argue that it is easier to build a frame from scratch (vs. a HF frame). Sure, if that's your thing. But a HF trailer frame comes with a bill of sale (so you can easily get it titled and tagged), and the HF's C-channel frame is pretty sturdy (especially when strategically reinforced) for its weight. Better yet, buy a used HF-type frame that someone bought and used once or twice and now they just want it out of their garage. The HF-type 4x8' frames can easily be cut-down to a more Jeep-friendly size (the WWII trailer's tubs were only 40" x 72" at their base). Mine is 40" x 50".

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
2022 Geo Pro 15TB

IMG_5863.jpg
I am towing a 23 15TB all over North America this year. I bought it at the end of November. My first camping trip with it will last 8+ months. I have already towed it 1700+ miles.
Camped on the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana last night. Will be here for a day or to.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics IMG_9606

trying to escape the cold. It snowed on us a few times as we headed south and west.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics IMG_9404
Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics IMG_3712
Jeep Wrangler JL Gratuitous towing pics IMG_9356
Sponsored