Towing

Pcw67

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Need to rent uhaul trailer and had neighbor install tow package w lights on 2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport. Now wondering will my Jeep tow a trailer ? What’s the weight it can pull? Also after install the stop/start says battery charging and won’t work again. It’s been to the dealer 3 times for that … what’s y’all’s thoughts ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Pcw67

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Use this link...

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=how+much+weight+can+my+jeep+wrangler+tow

What has the dealer said the three times you took it?
Use this link...

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=how+much+weight+can+my+jeep+wrangler+tow

What has the dealer said the three times you took it?
The first time the dealer said it needing “resetting”. It worked a month and quit stating battery charging. Second time they kept a week and decided they needed to order a new radio because occasionally it would pop and reset. The third time they installed the radio and it worked a week. Now “charging” again. They have check both batteries and the load as mentioned elsewhere. It’s annoying.

OP
OP

Pcw67

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So how do I get it fixed ?

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
As far as towing a trailer, the figures you need will be in your manual. Most Jeeps can tow up to 3000-3500 lbs but the limiting factor will be the total combination weight of your Jeep and trailer.
As far as your electrical problems, it seems they started when your neighbor installed the wiring. Do you have LED tail lights? Surprised your dealer didn’t ask about the added wiring.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Need to rent uhaul trailer and had neighbor install tow package w lights on 2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport. Now wondering will my Jeep tow a trailer ? What’s the weight it can pull? Also after install the stop/start says battery charging and won’t work again. It’s been to the dealer 3 times for that … what’s y’all’s thoughts ?
Y'all's thoughts is your neighbor F'd up your Jeep.

I'm guessing tow package "with lights" means he tapped into the vehicles turn signals and brake lights for your tow package and I'm guessing tapped into something he shouldn't have.

In terms of what you can tow, your owners manual and the door jam sticker will provide that info.

EDIT: You aux battery could also be near the end of it's life and that will mess up the start stop system. 2-3 years is about the life of those batteries.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pcw67

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Y'all's thoughts is your neighbor F'd up your Jeep.

I'm guessing tow package "with lights" means he tapped into the vehicles turn signals and brake lights for your tow package and I'm guessing tapped into something he shouldn't have.

In terms of what you can tow, your owners manual and the door jam sticker will provide that info.

EDIT: You aux battery could also be near the end of it's life and that will mess up the start stop system. 2-3 years is about the life of those batteries.

The lights just plug into the lights in the back so that shouldn’t have done anything. I think the whole green stop start thing is a bad feature. I always turn it off but don’t want it trying to charge and drain the battery.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I asked before, are LED lights involved? Some aftermarket light systems do not play well with Jeep wiring. Of course you just might have two separate incidents, especially if you’ve had the battery problem before. Just seems too coincidental.
And does your Jeep have a soft top? From what I have read on this forum, U Haul will not rent a trailer that is to be towed with a soft top Jeep.

OP
OP

Pcw67

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
No not LED lights. And it’s a hard top. Maybe it is two separate events. I still feel like maybe both batteries should just be replaced … it has about 45k miles so prob about time …

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
No not LED lights. And it’s a hard top. Maybe it is two separate events. I still feel like maybe both batteries should just be replaced … it has about 45k miles so prob about time …
You are prob right. At that mileage and age (I know it's not much) it's about time to replace. I had this happen on two JL Jeeps.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
2 doors top out at 2,000 pounds and 4 doors at 3,500, but again, depends on what else you have in the jeep.

if the harness your neighbor installed only plugs into the lights, it’s a 4 pin you don’t have trailer brakes. The 7 pin requires running wiring all the way up to the battery. I wouldn’t tow anything close to max capacity without trailer brakes.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
My Jeep towed a 5x8 U-Haul full of camping gear and firewood to the smoky mountains from the east coast of florida with no problem. I have a 2021JLUS 6MT.
Sponsored