Giant soft top box- Install instructions

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
So when I picked up my Jeep it had the largest box I’ve ever seen in the back, I broke it down into smaller boxes that were inside.
My question is does anyone have instructions or a video on eventually installing the soft top?
Do some of the parts in the box get installed right away and stay on the Jeep? Was the dealer supposed to do that??
Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So when I picked up my Jeep it had the largest box I’ve ever seen in the back, I broke it down into smaller boxes that were inside.
My question is does anyone have instructions or a video on eventually installing the soft top?
Do some of the parts in the box get installed right away and stay on the Jeep? Was the dealer supposed to do that??
I dont think we know honestly...if there werent any instructions in the box then this could be fun for a lot of people.

If its anything like the JK or TJ...then you should have plastic door surrounds of some sort that will bolt on to the Jeep once the hard top is removed completely.

In the case of the JK it went like this
-remove hard top (reinsert rear tub screws for safe keeping, 6 of these)
-bolt on the 2 straight surrounds over the driver/passenger doors (used the same bolts as hard top portion right behind the freedom panel)
-bolt on the 2 elbow surrounds over the rear doors (used separate bolts)
-insert the tailgate bar through the rear window
-attach the top to the anchor points on the rear roll bar
-unfold and connect the top (note connect the latches in the middle first, then button up the rear, then close and latch the sunrider up front)..if its cold outside put on your hulk gloves.
-put remaining hardware somewhere you wont forget come winter

What we know about the JL I would think it would be similar
-let the top get warm first....save yourself the hassle of trying to stretch a cold tight top (new JL tops might not be affected...but generally this always applies to soft tops)
-remove the hard top (save all hardware...might need some to install soft top frame)
-Install the surrounds, probably 2 over the front doors, and 2 around the rear doors...and possibly 2 more that cover the rear corners now with the top redesign and sliding track system....or there might not be any surrounds anymore LOL
-bolt the top frame to the rear roll bar portion (no idea where but should be easily spotted anchor points on the rear roll bar...probably towards the top (JK was kind of in the middle more towards the top of the rear roll bar)
-use whatever bolts that came with the top....(keep in mind it might also use the hard top bolts)
-save all hard top hardware somewhere you wont forget come winter.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
It's pretty easy. I think the instructions are in the owner's manual. If not, I'm sure you can locate them.

With the track system now part of the door surrounds - I assume the size of the box is to keep the surrounds with the track in one piece. The old JK surrounds are separate and fold.

Also, did the box contain the actual soft top? JK boxes were one for windows and other for door surrounds.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Covered starting on page 87 in the owner's manual.

So how did the actual soft top material get packed? Was it stuffed in a box also or mounted to the sports bar and bundled up?

Were you able to remove all components of the soft top without having to remove the hardtop first? I believe on the JK, you had to remove the hardtop just to remove the soft top from the cargo area.

Can you post some pics of how it's shipped?

As far as I know, nothing gets installed right away until you are ready to remove the hardtop and install the soft top.

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Any information on how to order a soft top after I have received my JL?

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Currently you would have to order a mopar soft top. Bestop, who makes the OEM top, will be developing alternate soft tops for the JL, but it will be a while before those are in market. Make sure you get the new JL style mechanism on whatever top you get. The difference between ease of use in this new soft top and the JK or any after-market I have seen is amazing. I can't say enough good about the new soft top.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Any information on how to order a soft top after I have received my JL?
Most likely need to contact a dealer or wait until they pop up on sites like Quadratec. I don't see anything currently, not even a part # or price. The JK 4 door tops are $1,500 vinyl and $2,000 premium on quadratec. I suspect JL tops will be similar in price, maybe a bit higher.

Could also wait for aftermarket options.

I imagine Jeep may retain inventory for new builds before releasing the factory top to the public.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
First time will take a bit but I hear it is much easier than the JK (lighter hard top and easier soft top install) and I don't think any parts from the soft top stay on when reinstalling the hard top and vice-versa. I wouldn't recommend keeping any of the soft top components on when installing the hard top.
Also hopefully not too long from now there will be how to videos on YouTube for this.

Either way people still need allot of storage space for the hard top or soft top when not in use.

Blankman934

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge charger
How big is big? Were the back seats folded down? And if they were, were they able to sit back up once you broke it down into smaller boxes.

I only ask because we are making a family road trip to pick mine up once it's delivered and I'd hate to have to leave my kids at the dealership to fit my soft top box.

pickles61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Firecracker Red
How big is big? Were the back seats folded down? And if they were, were they able to sit back up once you broke it down into smaller boxes.

I only ask because we are making a family road trip to pick mine up once it's delivered and I'd hate to have to leave my kids at the dealership to fit my soft top box.
I saw a picture of the box and the back seats Have to be down. If there smaller boxes inside the big box then maybe the seats can go up.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Yeah, dealers always low-ball tradein's. :)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on installing one of these. I'm waiting for a good, warm day, probably in May. I've also got to get a hoist mounted up in my garage before taking the hard top off, too.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Currently you would have to order a mopar soft top. Bestop, who makes the OEM top, will be developing alternate soft tops for the JL, but it will be a while before those are in market. Make sure you get the new JL style mechanism on whatever top you get. The difference between ease of use in this new soft top and the JK or any after-market I have seen is amazing. I can't say enough good about the new soft top.
I'm pretty sure @BestopTeam said it would be about 6 months after release before they would be selling them.

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

i broke mine down at the dealer and had them throw out the big box. i still needed the back seats down to bring it all home. there may be a way to make it work though, i didnt try.