DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently saw it and like what I see, so far. I've got a Magellan TRX 7, and LOVE the crowd-sourced maps, but the hardware is a junky slow Android tablet and it won't connect to the wifi in my JL. If the Garmin has all the trails I like, then this thing should be a winner. They typically have top notch hardware and software with their products. I'm watching closely to see who gets one and reviews it.

How awesome would it have been for that to be built into the 8.4 Uconnect?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
How awesome would it have been for that to be built into the 8.4 Uconnect?
I can’t speak for their land based navigation offerings, but in general aviation Garmin is considered high end and is priced accordingly. Their subscription rates for things like charts and plates is a high ongoing rate as well. So I’m speculating but it may not have been cheap to integrate the above in to the Uconnect.

On a separate note, Gary B (the GAR in Garmin) passed away recently. Besides being a founder of Garmin he was known as being a great innovator and leader. RIP

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
Have the portable inreach. Mostly for going snowboarding solo even inbounds on the mountain but this would be really nice for in the car

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I don't understand the point. Get a 300.00 ipad + GAIA maps and have 100 times the functionality at half the price.

Sponsored

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Interesting. Like others we are well vested with our TRx7 and all its shortcomings. Would want to get some feedback on the route planning prior to ditching the TR and going with something new.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Like others we are well vested with our TRx7 and all its shortcomings. Would want to get some feedback on the route planning prior to ditching the TR and going with something new.
I agree. I will say this for the TRX7....The crowd sourced trails are great and the 3D isn't bad. I used it on a snowmobile in Michigan and it had all, and I mean all, of the trails, including some crowd sourced trails that were not official. It withstood snow, water, ice, and massive vibration all day on a handlebar mount. No way you could do that with the Ipad.
The trails were good in Colorado and Moab, too. The problems I've had with it are that it is slow, the mount became loose after the day of snowmobiling (can't be fixed) and it doesn't connect to my JL's wifi, and Magellan support can't figure out why. (They should have offered me a new unit to try, but their customer support is nowhere near that of Garmin. They tried hard at first to help, but then just gave up and said sorry.)

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
I agree. I will say this for the TRX7....The crowd sourced trails are great and the 3D isn't bad. I used it on a snowmobile in Michigan and it had all, and I mean all, of the trails, including some crowd sourced trails that were not official. It withstood snow, water, ice, and massive vibration all day on a handlebar mount. No way you could do that with the Ipad.
The trails were good in Colorado and Moab, too. The problems I've had with it are that it is slow, the mount became loose after the day of snowmobiling (can't be fixed) and it doesn't connect to my JL's wifi, and Magellan support can't figure out why. (They should have offered me a new unit to try, but their customer support is nowhere near that of Garmin. They tried hard at first to help, but then just gave up and said sorry.)
Dan, whole heartily agree with your assessment of the TRX7, related to the crowd sourcing tracks/trails. Alot of my dislikes center around the online route planning and clunking GUI of the unit itself. Online you can clearly see a road/path on the map yet there are times where it won't allow you to plan a route through that area due to "no trail/route". The other frustration with the online GUI is that if you want to just use way points you are limited to 12 or 13, forget now. Also, Magellan is extremely slow to respond to any and all postings on their closed forum. In other words, to see the forum you must be a member so people searching to learn about the system can't see in to see what people are griping about with this unit.

In all honesty, now that Garmin has come out with this system, one would hope that Magellan will pick up the pace and correct the deficiencies that IMO, should have never been there due to the product being developed by a GPS/Navigation company like Magellan.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Anyone know of reviews on this GPS since this thread in 2019?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know of reviews on this GPS since this thread in 2019?
I use mine all the time. Still love it.
Sponsored