Sponsored

Game Changer / Difference-Making mods & tips for camping

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Hello, All,
I want to maximize the capabilities of my JL for the purpose of camping with a family in locations off of the beaten path. I already have a lift. I will soon have new wheels with 35 inch tires. I won't be carrying my family through treacherous terrain, so I dont believe I need the most extreme offroad rig. "Pocket friendly" mods / storage strategies / good old pro-tips are ideal, but any suggestions are appreciated if they are essential. Thanks to everyone who contributes.
Sponsored

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Following this thread because you can never have too many good ideas and tips for camping. I travel with a spouse, two kids, and a dog. Any help I can get I'll take!

Here's a difference maker I discovered for myself. Packing for a family of four to camp can be tough space wise, but I was able to pack pillows for the grown ups and extra blankets for the kids above the roll bar and under the top. I lucked out unintentionally too with my Alien Sunshade. I roll year round with the rear shade on (again, for the kids), and it essentially behaved like an antic in the JL storing longer items. Having that longer space up there helps pack up 'fun' gear too without feeling like you're really trading off something actually important. Another example, a beach trip in the jeeps mean a buddy of mine was able to bring body boards inside the jeep by packing them in his 'attic'!

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Following this thread because you can never have too many good ideas and tips for camping. I travel with a spouse, two kids, and a dog. Any help I can get I'll take!

Here's a difference maker I discovered for myself. Packing for a family of four to camp can be tough space wise, but I was able to pack pillows for the grown ups and extra blankets for the kids above the roll bar and under the top. I lucked out unintentionally too with my Alien Sunshade. I roll year round with the rear shade on (again, for the kids), and it essentially behaved like an antic in the JL storing longer items. Having that longer space up there helps pack up 'fun' gear too without feeling like you're really trading off something actually important. Another example, a beach trip in the jeeps mean a buddy of mine was able to bring body boards inside the jeep by packing them in his 'attic'!
Nice overhead storage tip. Thank you. Are the sun shades pretty stout?

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Nice overhead storage tip. Thank you. Are the sun shades pretty stout?
The alien shades are, for sure. They attach to the roll bars with 8 bungies for each side. The material is also fairly thick and robust.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Best camping investment I made was an Engel 35 qt fridge/freezer. Purchased it in 2003 or 2004 and haven’t purchased ice since.

Sponsored

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
My expensive not “needed” but awesome to have is our Ursa Minor J30:like: it’s a total game changer. The much less expensive really useful is the XG Gama cargo bags. They end up being really useful for storing common use items.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Agree on the fridge. First I would add a tailgate table. I use it for so much more than camping.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Following - but will also add a couple items. Going on a week long trip to Colorado to hit some of the Mountain trails out there. Trying to only use items which help us save space, weight, or are dual purpose.
- Awaiting a "scratch & Paint" version the the Aluminum Tire Table. At just 6 lbs and it folds up quite flat. https://www.tailgatertiretable.com/...e-table-clearance?_pos=1&_sid=ec5c2c9ee&_ss=r
-For the week we will only be taking 10 gallons of potable water with us. We will have a way other than boiling to purify the water we find in lakes/rivers/etc.
-For food we typically only eat freeze dried meals when we back pack/tent camp. We will be doing the same thing whilst JP camping to save on space, need for ice/cooler and to help reduce our trash.
-RE: Food and cooking. Since we do not need to cook much (besides H20), we will be using a Coleman Powerpack 1 burner stove. We will use a small metal 3 sided "wall" to block the wind. The JP will also act as a wind break since the table sets up on a rear tire.
-2 of the 3 of us will be tent camping in 1 person tents. I will be sleeping in the JP on a home made sleep platform once I do the 2/3 seat delete in the back.
-Taking a cooking grate which can set up over a fire or established fire pit. It is basically only the metal grate which tops a round charcoal grill.
-One of the biggest/heaviest items we will take is a pop-up awning of some sort. Cook under in bad weather, sleep under in same, fire under in rain, sit under and chill.

Will add more as it comes to mind. BTW, the vehicle in the pic is not mine :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Game Changer / Difference-Making mods & tips for camping tiretable
Sponsored