Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I'll be putting a front hitch on my JLU to temporarily attach a hitch based plow when it snows.

The plow is raised and lowered via a "temporary with the plow electric winch," which uses an electrical cable similar to this one below to power the winch, with the eyelets side of the cable (there are 2 of these cables) at both the terminal leads of the winch and the Wrangler's battery, to facilitate quick connect/disconnect of the two cables at the quick connect/disconnect ends.

This said, where would you suggest I place the end of the cable below, whose other end's eyelets are attached to the vehicle battery--i.e. the side of the cable with the cover?

Attaching it to the front hitch means I have to cut away more of the front air dam than the 2" received portion that needs to protrude through the air dam (I intend to put back the air dam.)

Here's what I'm talking about as it relates to a JK front end hitch air dam cutting process:

I think I'd rather make this opening in the air dam as small as possible.

I could have the cable simply drop down from the engine compartment, but then I have to get on my knees in the snow to possibly effect the electrical connection (not the end of the world I know) if I don't hook up the plow in advance of the storm.

Yet another option is to open the hood, while keeping the hood emergency/backup locking mechanism engaged, so there is enough gap to fit the quick connect/disconnect end of the cable connected to the Wrangler's battery outside the engine compartment, but again, hoods can get heavy to lift after a big wet snow storm if I don't hook up the plow in advance of the storm.

Some tow trucks put the quick connect/disconnect end in the grill, but this doesn't look to cosmetically nice.

Thoughts?

I concede: 1st world problems for sure....

2 pin connector.jpg
Sponsored

CalvinH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Manual
Being a newcomer to plows, I don't have a lot to contribute but I am very interested to know which hitch and plow you plan to use. Curt does not have a hitch certified for the JL yet (and I have emailed them to find out when they will). I have looked at Meyer Wingman plow and it seems like a good option.

I have also looked at Snow-way plows although they don't seem to be hitch-mounted. Could learn from your experience. Thanks!

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
The Snowsport plow, and a Harbor Freight winch, like this guy, my winch has a remote control:

....two of these cables, one at the winch end, the other at the battery:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GAUGE-6FT-Hi-amp-UNIVERSAL-QUICK-CONNECT-WIRING-KIT-WINCH-DUMP-TRAILER/182485498364?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

And this hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Hitch/Jeep/JL+Wrangler+Unlimited/2018/65079.html?vehicleid=201866679

I am going to temporarily take off the air dam to install the front hitch behind it. You'll need a trim tool and an 8 mm wrench to do so. Instructions can be found here:

In order to put the air dam back on, you'll need to cut a space for the front 2" received hitch to come through.

Here's a video where it is done on a JK, not a JL, a JK.

Last edited:

CalvinH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Manual
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the details. I searched this forum for plowing-related threads but didn't find many.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the details. I searched this forum for plowing-related threads but didn't find many.
There are Jeep specific plows Calvin, narrow and great for maneuverability, but I'm pretty sure non hitch based, that conform to a JK specific specification, and are likely not reengineered yet for the JL.

But for quick on and off and Jeep model independent experience, particularly if you are doing your own plowing and not a commercial enterprise, I think hitch based attachment is the way to go.
Sponsored