Sponsored

Fox 2.0 Performance or Rancho 9000 Shocks?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I've read reviews/talked with a trusted installer about Fox 2.0 performance shocks and feedback is that they're a little stiffer and more geared to high performance offroad dampening instead of daily driving. I called Fox and they naturally claimed they provide a "plush ride" on the jl and have been softened a bit.

I really like the adjustability and price point of the Rancho 9000 shocks, but have heard Rancho shocks arent as well regarded compared to Fox/Bilstein due to:

Cheaper materials in build
Old technology
Mass produced overseas by Tenneco aiming to be at a low price point

Anybody have any experience with them on the jl? Fox and Falcon's adjustable shocks are $1500 plus where as Rancho is $500. Why the massive price gap?
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I've been running the 9000 on my tj for 20 years. Great bang for the buck. Bought my first set in 1998 at buy 3 get one free. They were $79 a piece. On my 3rd set now..each time the adjuster eventually froze after 5 or 6 years. . With the warranty they replace quickly and only asked for proof that I destroyed the old shocks. I dropped an anvil in them to destroy them. So basically I paid $240 for 12 shocks across 20 years.

I also like how I can adjust them to my preference and for what I am doing. Like towing...If you don't want the rear to sag when towing...just turn it up a setting or two.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Falcons dont have anywhere near the extensive track record of Fox or Kings. Rancho is more of a known quantity than Falcon. Im sure they’d probably be ok, even though ive seen some cases of blown out seals already on falcons. Unfortunately man this is the part that is trial and error... you need a good set of springs that are soft but also can hold the ride hight you want and valving in a shock to match thats soft enough to allow for good travel but firm enough so its not going to bottom out.

grumeazy

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jlu sport s
I dont have experience with fox or bilstein but i do have the King 2.5 adjustable. I can tell you they are amazing but it sounds like you don't want to spend that much. I was debating the cost just like you were and decided to bite the bullet and cry once. They are amazing on road when i adjust them to a softer road and even more amazing off road when I stiffen them up. Spend the money now and cry once and have an amazing riding jeep, you spent a lot of money on the jeep why skimp on the suspension is how i convinced myself lol. Just my .02 cents
Sponsored