Sponsored

Bilstein B8 5160 Remote Reservoir Shocks vs AccuTune Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
All four Remote Reservoir Bilstein B8 5160 shocks go for $800 plus shipping. The AccuTune Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks are $1489 for the set, plus shipping.

I have been spending hours on here reading feedback, but surprisingly, there isn't that much feedback on the 5160's, in order to help with an informed decision.

I'm presently on 37's a 2.5 MC Gamechanger with the Rocksports,, and will most likely swap out my MC 2.5 springs for the 3.5 later this season, and go for slightly larger 38-39inch tires. Also running full body armour, on steel bumpers.

I have ready plenty of reviews on the entry level Bilstein 5100's(I am not interested in those at all), that they ride "too stiff" but great on the larger bumps, and also great to keep body roll quite level on the turns. My question then is, due to the lack of 5160 feedback, are the 5160's valved the same as the 5100's? Will the 5160's essentially ride the same as the 5100 shocks that many have reported on the forum?

I would expect the 5160's ride quality on long winding dirt roads, fire roads, even whoops and sand dunes, to be much better than the 5100's, due to the fact that the 5160 are remote reservoir and the 5100 are not. Or are the differences in ride between the two negligible?

The AccuTunes don't need much of an introduction, they have plenty of positive reviews on here, and you just can't go wrong with custom valving if you can pony up.

I find that the $800 price point of the 5160's, is quite attractive compared to the Accutune Fox 2.0 Performance Series, as the latter are almost double the price(not quite but almost), and to be honest, past my comfort zone on what I need to spend on shocks. But I will spring for the latter, if someone manages to convince me, that the higher price is totally justifiable, based on increased ride quality and performance, over the 5160 remote reservoir shocks.

I've been pacing back and forth all day trying to decide which to choose. Looking for some honest reviews.

I'm in no rush, I have until summer to make an informed decision.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I’ve run both 3-4.5” 5100s and 5160s with MC3.5s. I am heavy. Never had a real issue with the 5100 ride quality, but, both my wife and I find the 5160s to be noticeably better all around.

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I’ve run both 3-4.5” 5100s and 5160s with MC3.5s. I am heavy. Never had a real issue with the 5100 ride quality, but, both my wife and I find the 5160s to be noticeably better all around.
What differences do you notice for day to day driving, or is it more when you're on the trail?

**Nevermind, I saw an another post where you described it. Thanks for taking the time to help others out on this forum Gator!

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
What differences do you notice for day to day driving, or is it more when you're on the trail?

**Nevermind, I saw an another post where you described it. Thanks for taking the time to help others out on this forum Gator!
Was I able to articulate the difference there? Shock ride is kind of hard to describe, but I remember it just being "better".

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
I'm interested in this as well.

I have the 5160s on the rear of my f150 (on the IFS truck, they pair with the bilstein 6112 shocks and springs), and I've been very happy with how the 5160s have performed both on and off road.

When I first got he 5160s I went ahead and installed them on my f150, but not the fronts and even on an otherwise stock truck, I was impressed by what they did for handling and ride alone over the stock rears.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Was I able to articulate the difference there? Shock ride is kind of hard to describe, but I remember it just being "better".
Well, I guess you convinced me, I just said to myself FOOK IT, winded myself up with excitement, and called up a couple of vendors to place an order, only to find out that they are out of stock for about 8 weeks 😱🤦.

I'm never too thrilled about giving my CC out and waiting 2 months...3 weeks ok, maybe 4, but not 8 weeks or more.

If any vendor is reading this post, or anybody knows a place that has the full set of Bilstein 5160 Remote Reservoir, 3-4.5inch lift fronts, part#'s 25-297812 , 25-287530 and the rear 25-287547 (are both rear shocks the same part #? 🤔) in stock at decent prices, hit me up, and I will place an order.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I guess you convinced me, I just said to myself FOOK IT, winded myself up with excitement, and called up a couple of vendors to place an order, only to find out that they are out of stock for about 8 weeks 😱🤦.

If any vendor is reading this post, or anybody knows a place that has the full set of Bilstein 5160 Remote Reservoir, 3-4.5inch lift fronts BIL25-297812 , BIL25-287530 and the rear BIL25-287547 (are both rear shocks the same part #? 🤔) in stock at decent prices, hit me up, and I will place an order.
Here you go (same place I bought my Fox DSCs):

https://partshawk.com/jeep-wrangler-front-right-shock-absorber-bilstein-25-297812.html

https://partshawk.com/jeep-wrangler-front-left-shock-absorber-bilstein-25-287530.html

https://partshawk.com/jeep-wrangler-rear-shock-absorber-bilstein-25-287547.html

OP
OP

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Thank you for that! 🙏🏼

There is only one problem after going on their website. They do not ship internationally, and both me and my Wrangler will be out of country until this summer.

They do write in their Q&A, something about them having an ebay store, and something about them shipping to their domestic address, and ebay communicating with the buyer about the international end of the deal..Man I need a smoke lol.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for that! 🙏🏼

There is only one problem after going on their website. They do not ship internationally, and both me and my Wrangler will be out of country until this summer.

They do write in their Q&A, something about them having an ebay store, and something about them shipping to their domestic address, and ebay communicating with the buyer about the international end of the deal..Man I need a smoke lol.
Likely going to be the case with most vendors and sounds like a good way to lose your order...

OP
OP

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
Likely going to be the case with most vendors and sounds like a good way to lose your order...
Actually, 95+% of all the Vendors that I have dealt with over time(the last 35 years) regardless if they were located in the UK, Greece, Poland, USA, Canada, etc, all shipped internationally.

I have literally come across only a handful(count on one hand 🖐🏼) who did not.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, 95+% of all the Vendors that I have dealt with over time(the last 35 years) regardless if they were located in the UK, Greece, Poland, USA, Canada, etc, all shipped internationally.

I have literally come across only a handful(count on one hand 🖐🏼) who did not.
In a post-covid world, I would not chance it...they have enough problems delivering in the US. :LOL:

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Heads up guys. $140 off per axle on the 5160s on @Northridge4x4 right now. EJS Sale.

1679412064012.png
Odd... I went and checked their site and cannot locate that offer. Searching through deals or just searching for the Bilstein 5160's.

EDIT: Found it. For some reason if you have the 2.0L selected as your Jeep it won't show up.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Odd... I went and checked their site and cannot locate that offer. Searching through deals or just searching for the Bilstein 5160's.

EDIT: Found it. For some reason if you have the 2.0L selected as your Jeep it won't show up.
That's weird, thanks for mentioning it, I just reported the issue to our web team.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Anyone run these before/after running the Fox 2.0 IFP? Curious if it's worth the change.
Sponsored