Sponsored

For those with the hotspot active..

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
I am looking at activating the hotspot in my JL, and I was wondering if the hotspot stays on/active after you shut the jeep off? Is this an option or no? I have a security system that hooks up to a hotspot and of course it needs to stay on in order for it to work.

Now I've been told you can use the apps to start the car and do other things if you have the wifi active, correct? If so is it safe to assume that the hotspot remains active while the car is off?
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I am looking at activating the hotspot in my JL, and I was wondering if the hotspot stays on/active after you shut the jeep off? Is this an option or no? I have a security system that hooks up to a hotspot and of course it needs to stay on in order for it to work.

Now I've been told you can use the apps to start the car and do other things if you have the wifi active, correct? If so is it safe to assume that the hotspot remains active while the car is off?
Hotspot does not stay on when Jeep is not running, it's only active while uConnect is powered on.

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
no it is not active while the jeep is off, I have it, and I use it mainly for my kids iPads, for when we take longer trips, and to use my Waze, and laptop if needed, so far no complaints..

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep couldn't have it running all the time in the vehicle or it would just drain the battery.

Just like with the security system (assuming camera), you would want to get a power pack (aka battery) to run power to a mobile hot spot. Especially if you want it to run 24/7. You wouldn't want to run either of them off the house batteries for long periods since it will just drain them.

You can run the camera in a mode where it is not constantly running (parking mode) but may still drain the battery if left for long periods or if triggered constantly. Watching the camera live will be another drain on the battery, so you kind of need to keep that to a minimum. Hot spots may have a low power setting when not being used but will need to remain turned on. Depending on the camera, it may be uploading video at times if it has a cloud based storage solution. Battery pack of some sort would be the best solution in my opinion.

There are a few types of mobile hot spots but if using the direct USB plugin type, you can configured it outside the vehicle and then any time it is plugged into a USB port, like on the side of a battery pack, it will be on and ready to transfer data. So a set it and forget it type of device. Others are a little more involved and may have separate screens that allow it to be easily configured. These might be better since configuration is done directly on the device and if it messes up you have a bit of control right then.

When parked at home you could just extend the range of your home wifi (if not already available) so the system will connect to that. Anywhere else you could pop on the hot spot and go. Mobile hot spots run anywhere between 50-150 and can be added to your cell plan ($10 month). They just use your current data allotment but can be put on individual plans also.

Sponsored

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Note: The wifi does not need to be enabled to start the car. You need the Sirus XM Guardian Service enabled.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Note: The wifi does not need to be enabled to start the car. You need the Sirus XM Guardian Service enabled.

@dj3513

The Wifi though, is provided by AT&T.

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
2 years ago, I named the hotspot on my phone triggerfish. Ha!