First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
And seems if they don’t get 10/10 out of their survey they don’t get commission.
That’s dealer dependent, it’s their payroll.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Back to the drawing board...
Now you've just microaggressed against drafting tables...

sorry, but if you have to be talked into 0% financing, you have math issues:blush:
Not necessarily. It will depend on how the purchase contract is written. One late or missed payment could trigger a retroactive and/or permanent application of punitive interest charges.

Arguably, it's the consumer who ignores due diligence and blindly signs a 0% financing contract that has issues. Read the Fine Print; know what you're committing to.

Last edited:

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Maybe he assumed you meant JLURHD which is the closest Jeep comes to using the acronym you rattled off… what’s funny is you and the sales guys both walked away thinking the other was an idiot….
9B808395-5749-4CFB-9A49-320C7B6DA183.jpeg
And both were right…😉

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Maybe I am missing something but how is taking 0% a sucker? If you take your final price and divide by the number of payments that is what you are paying per month. No one is going to pay negative interest which would be the only thing better than 0%.
Real interest rates have been negative recently, and by "real" rates I mean inflation adjusted interest rates. The most extreme negative rates have been in Europe, where depositors have been required to pay to keep cash balances at a bank, and borrowers have been paid to take out mortgage loans. It has not been as extreme in the US, but it could happen especially if inflation spirals out of control (it has been accelerating in recent months). So while 0% doesn't seem like an expensive rate given our experiences to date, it could be compared to your underlying opportunity costs and what future rates could be.

A 0% car loan can also dilute your credit score, which I guard like a crown jewel. I prefer not owing anybody anything on a depreciating asset, and saving my borrowing capacity for appreciating assets or for when the going gets tough. But everybody's situation is different.

Last edited:

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Not true. Chrysler Capital was running the 0%/36 month financing for at least the past year, I hear much longer than that. This short term is too steep a monthly payment for many but if you have the cash, keep/invest it elsewhere and use theirs. I negotiated and inked the final price, then applied for the financing after. As CTMopar simply put it earlier in this thread, the total negotiated price divided by 36 is my payment, not a cent more.
Was the "total negotiated price" the lowest possible price for that vehicle? Maybe, but not likely.
What about admin charges? There are always admin charges on finance deals. There are usually two of them. One is for the dealer writing up the paperwork, and the other is for Chrysler Capital (CC) to process the paperwork. On 0% deals the admin charge is higher than regular interest rate deals.
CC is not using their money to finance a vehicle. They are using a commercial vendor's money, and commercial vendors don't give away their money ... ever.
What CC is doing is borrowing a vast sum of money from a commercial vendor, literally millions, and on that volume they get one hell of an interest rate, say 1.75%. I only buy one to two million worth of equipment annually and I borrow money at 3.25% from commercial vendors, so 1.75% is likely a fair guess for CC's borrowed millions.
CC is loaning you that money at a literal 0%. That is "negotiated" price divided by the term for a monthly payment, plus the admin charges that you pay up front.
A quick example ... You buy a vehicle for $60,000.00 over 36 months. That's a monthly payment of $1,666.67. The commercial vendor wants 1.75% for their money. $60,000.00 x 0.0175 = $1,050.00 over the term, or $29.17 per month. The dealer adds a $500.00 paperwork fee to write up the application, and $750.00 for CC to process the application for a total of $1,250.00, or $34.72 per month.
Care to guess where the commercial vendor is getting their interest from?
Meanwhile CC is taking the $1,250.00 you (and thousands of others) paid up front and are putting it into short term investments, making interest on your money before they pay the commercial vendor their interest at the first of every month.
As I mentioned before, there is no such thing as a free lunch. No for-profit business is going to pay someone to buy their product. If a business is "giving" something away, you can guarantee you are paying for it somewhere along the line.

Sponsored

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
I will put my salesman Brad as a super star compared to these stories. I walked in, told him what I want, what I expected to pay with incentives and walked out with a good price for my trade and an ordered Jeep. He kept track during the order process and had all the paperwork ready when I got there, in and out in about 30 minutes. I ordered a 2021 JLU Sahara 3.0 with leather and Sky Touch and tow package. I told the rate I expected (I knew I could get it elsewhere) and here I am. I went back today to drop off a paper my wife had to sign for registration, and bought weatherproof mats. Brad had them installed before I finished paying. Performance CDJR in Delaware Ohio, the best!

BH6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys, 2010 JKU (Sold)
Hahaha... as i listen my hun negotiate another oceanfront hotel deal that no ordinary person would have a clue about. The percentage is well earned... and these deals take over 50 hours just for starters.
So on a million $ deal, each realtor gets $30K. 50 hours equals $600 an hour…. This is the problem with real estate commissions…. They haven’t adjusted to higher real estate prices. I get it that many of them only sell a few houses a year, but that sounds like a them problem.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
While I would agree that a salesperson not knowing the "model numbers" may certainly give an indication of that individuals current depth of knowledge - I personally wouldn't let that affect my purchase.

I have owned many bikes, including 3 Harleys - all of which were purchased new. As far as HD dealers, I tend to think the employees/sales folks are a lot more dedicated to the brand and knowledge than a Jeep dealership. When I purchased my last Harley, I have NO doubt every salesperson knew what a "VRSC/VRSCDX" was, however I didnt go in asking for a "VRSC/VRSCDX"....I went in and asked to look at a V-rod (specifically a Nightrod). Personally I would not have cared whether they knew the model # and doubt they would have cared if I did. JMHO
As someone who worked in a Harley dealer, sold bikes, as well as parts this is probably one of the smartest posts regarding Harley. I think i can count the number of times on one hand in 5 years someone called up asking to buy an Ultra and referred to it as an FLHTCU or any other model by the acronyms. I think some people on this thread have expectations that in this day and age are ridiculous. Most people that go in to buy a vehicle know they want a Ford Escape in blue, beyond that..... Not everyone out there is an enthusiast and for a customer to expect that they would be is asking way to much. I will say that when i bought my jeep it was from a recommended dealer on this forum, and everything was done via email, all i had to do was walk in, put my deposit down and pick a color. Yes the salesman owns a wrangler, and is an enthusiast so he did ask if i was going to mod/ off road etc.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
or go in with your own financing already approved lol
Cash is king no matter what anyone says. It's how you use it is what matters. Financing will never ever give you as many buying options than a cash deal.

That being said, 2nd best option is pre financing.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Cash is king no matter what anyone says. It's how you use it is what matters. Financing will never ever give you as many buying options than a cash deal.

To a dealership paying cash or outside financing are the worst ways for them to do business with you.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To a dealership paying cash or outside financing are the worst ways for them to do business with you.
Too bad for them. For that very reason I won't play their BS games. Thus I always walk out with the best deal possible. Unfortunately now is a strange market for all vehicles sold globally. Pricing is harsh on buyers currently and it's very difficult to get decent pricing.

The average buyer loathes the finance managers at dealerships. I recommend to anyone always know what the fair market OTD cash value before stepping a foot on the lot.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250

actually, it's the opposite when it come to dealerships.....even if you want to pay cash, never ever ever tell them you want to pay cash.....

I got almost 12% off MSRP custom factory order by playing the finance game.....no one is getting that deal with a cash purchase. Dealerships use the kickback from the banks to subsidize their customer discounts....cash is king for private party vehichles tho, that is for sure

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR

well not everyone has 40-60k in cash laying around. Either way 2.9% interest for 6 years, ill have it paid off in 3. Bought it at Koons in Va. via their internet sales person got the forum pricing im happy.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
actually, it's the opposite when it come to dealerships.....even if you want to pay cash, never ever ever tell them you want to pay cash.....

I got almost 12% off MSRP custom factory order by playing the finance game.....no one is getting that deal with a cash purchase. Dealerships use the kickback from the banks to subsidize their customer discounts....cash is king for private party vehichles tho, that is for sure
It's at the very end of the sale when the OTD price is on the contract that you tell them you are a cash buyer. It's none of their business how you are going pay. I do not play games when it comes to any large purchase.

well not everyone has 40-60k in cash laying around. Either way 2.9% interest for 6 years, ill have it paid off in 3. Bought it at Koons in Va. via their internet sales person got the forum pricing im happy.
As long as you are happy that's what counts. I learned a long time ago if I don't have the money to pay in full at the time of purchase then I don't get it. 1994 was the last time I financed a new 4 wheeled vehicle.

I can go out right now and get any Wrangler model I want. I'm just not willing to pay what they are getting for them at this time. So I am holding out for another year or two. I'm at a point in my life where financing anything is not a good option.
Sponsored