Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your suggestions, and help. It looks like the Jeep in a TuTu :) would be right for me. However, I do like Swanny's idea of a Sport S with Katzkin leather. I put Katzkins in a previous F-150, and it's some good stuff. So, I'll sit back, and build one of each to see how that goes. I'm one of those old guys that has more years behind me than in front of me, so I'm not gonna let cost get in the way of something I've always wanted. As the old saying goes, "I've never seen an armored car following a hearse". Again I appreciate everyone's help, and I'm gonna read as much as I can on this forum as my planning continues. I certainly don't want a sales person to tell me what I need.

Now, will it be a 2 door, or a 4 door. :facepalm: :flag:

Jim
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Thank you all for your suggestions, and help. It looks like the Jeep in a TuTu :) would be right for me. However, I do like Swanny's idea of a Sport S with Katzkin leather. I put Katzkins in a previous F-150, and it's some good stuff. So, I'll sit back, and build one of each to see how that goes. I'm one of those old guys that has more years behind me than in front of me, so I'm not gonna let cost get in the way of something I've always wanted. As the old saying goes, "I've never seen an armored car following a hearse". Again I appreciate everyone's help, and I'm gonna read as much as I can on this forum as my planning continues. I certainly don't want a sales person to tell me what I need.

Jim
The “tutu” comment aside- you’ll be happy with the Sahara. It’s not a step down in Jeep. That’s the real difference from any other auto. Most of the time you have different engines or setup and that justifies trim levels. On a Jeep- it’s all up for grabs and many replace enough that calling it a particular model in general would be questionable.

So if you kept it stock or go nuts- it’s solid and you don’t have to worry about backtracking. And if you do- just hit the stores and find what’s making you itch.

Last part- 2 or 4. I’m maybe the minority that has this official opinion, but 4 doors looks tougher. But beyond that, 4 offers room for others - especially kids. If that’s in your game plan, even if it is grandkids or your own in the future- you can’t just modify that part like you can with anything else.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired

Jim
Well since you must be an old Geezer like us, there is only one choice. Just buy a full dress Rubicon. You do only go around once. A stock Rubicon will do far more and in much greater style than a Sport or Sahara. Hell, if you want to be like Willie the Wimp in his Cowboy Cadillac a Rubicon would make a much classier coffin!

Jokes aside, I'm 69 and purchased a new Rubicon. We're not circling the drain yet, but at our age we'll never get close to using the Rubicon's full capabilities. But on a 4x4 road rated moderate it was a pleasure to wheel. Kind of made things too easy, but you couldn't wipe the smile of my face with a 2x4!

Two or four door... Do you have backpacks/gear, dogs, grandchildren or adult friends that might go with you? If the answer is yes to any of these, then the four door is the only way to go. Even getting a load of groceries out of the back seat of a 2 door can be a pain. Been there done that with an old Sahara.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to throw in my .02. You can get a really nicely optioned 2dr Rubi for less than the 4dr Sahara with same options. So, if you are leaning towards a 2dr, then I think it's a no brainer to go 2dr Rubi. I am very biased cuz that's what I did. :)

Edit: and I'm just a year behind @BVGeezer

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Just wanted to throw in my .02. You can get a really nicely optioned 2dr Rubi for less than the 4dr Sahara with same options. So, if you are leaning towards a 2dr, then I think it's a no brainer to go 2dr Rubi. I am very biased cuz that's what I did. :)

Edit: and I'm just a year behind @BVGeezer
While I'm really just middle aged and not an old guy like my username implies, I'm with @BVGeezer and @obwahn Rubi for the win!

Here's mine:

56D29A69-F5DA-4A4B-8EE6-6C0DAC9EF1AD.jpeg
ABC72B1B-031F-45AF-903C-AC20B547E317.jpeg

Sponsored

Gill

First Name
Gill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80,84,85 CJ. 83 Scrambler 2912 JKU 2018 JL Rubicon (ordered)
In 2013 I bought a 2012 JKU Sahara with 12K on it. I spent and additional 6 or 8K adding options and still was not at the Rubicon level of capability. In February I ordered a new JL Rubicon because I didn't want to add all the options later.

I ordered with fenders and top to match the body color of Firecracker Red for the Class Factor. Put most options on it and I am very happy with my buy. Will I ever need all of the options, I hope so but probably not. I plan to keep this Jeep forever and have fun with it until I die.

If you are planning on buying the Jeep that you will keep, buy the Rubicon. If not the Sahara is a nice choice and gives you luxury never found in a jeep before. I bought the 2 door because I am 65 and did not nee the extra room, most of the time it is may wife and I. I do miss the room of the JKU at times, but I love the look of the 2 door naked.

Last edited:

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Dad always said when you have a question always ask someone with experience. And I'm sure I'm at the correct place for this question. Like most guys I have wanted a Jeep for a long time, and there's no time like the present. But, with so many styles I'm stumped as to which will serve me best. I'm not a die hard off roader, and will use the Jeep for pleasure driving, some daily driving, and at times just turn down a dirt road just to see where it goes. I would like a little luxury, leather seats, A/C etc., but that's about all. If other do dads come with that it's OK. So I ask, if you good people have the time can you give me suggestions on which level of Jeep I would need. Thank you in advance for your time.
Jim
We’re a 2 JL family, Sahara & Rubicon. I drove both pretty extensively in stock form.
They are not optioned the same, so some differences I’ve noticed that I (and my wife) wish we’d gotten (mainly on the Sahara).
First, my Rubi is an 8-sp auto, and I love it. Don’t misunderstand that I have any issues with the 6-speed (imho it’s the best shifter in a non-car), but the convenience of the auto for a DD is undeniable. And, it is well mated to the 4.10 rear. A friend has a Sahara with the 8-speed and it drives well, and she’s getting 23+ mpg on interstates in East TN Mtns.

Second, the Sahara is a soft top, and I’m jealous when it’s nice for part of the day, she has the top down in less than 5 minutes, while I’m still wrangling with the damn storage bag - and that’s just to get the freedom panel T-Top feel. And, even now that she stole my Dick Cepek tires, it’s still acceptably (almost non-Jeep) quiet at highway speeds. I don’t absolutely fall on either side, but wish I had dual-topped the Rubi.

Painted fender flares - included standard on the Sahara and look great, and with the Sahara factory steps seem to be pretty well protected; however, on a rubicon they would be exposed to rocks off the front tires. My non-painted fenders look like the wrong end of an artillery range. Glad I didn’t get painted. For the sport, I don’t believe painted flares are an option.

Finally, inside options. I have the 8.4 infotainment, the Sahara has the 7” w/Alpine. The sound is the same, but I do like the size of the screen and icons - I find myself hitting everything but my intended target when I’m driving the Sahara. The self-dimming rearview that comes with the infotainment package is nice as well, but I’ve had a few bugs with it. I mention this specifically, and it was the first thing that came to mind when sport models as an option were presented to you, because the 8.4 is not available except in Sahara and Rubicon trims.

I like the tan leather in my wife’s Jeep, but since I run naked and in mud as often as I can, think the black leather is a safer option.
I wasn’t a fan of the red trim bits outside and inside, but They’ve grown on me, to the point I’m embracing it as I add accessories.

The last bit that comes to mind is the trailer tow group - just get it. Even if you don’t tow often/ever, the aux buttons are fantastic and you will want to add something that will take advantage of them. From this comes a Rubi/Sahara difference. With the Rubicon and trailer tow, the aux buttons take one cubby hole and the diff lock and sway bar disconnect buttons take the other. I do wish I had that at-hand storage, but wouldn’t trade the diff locks for it.

I didn’t get into the off road capability differences, and honestly the Sahara has seen dirt roads and speed bumps, so I don’t know how it would truly compare. You said that was a minimal concern.

All in all, I believe a Sahara sounds like it would suit you quite well. Plan on ditching those wheels and tires though - I think they ride poorly (a product of 18” Wheel and less sidewall) and don’t look spectacular.

My wife and I were talking as I typed, and it occurred to both of us that we wish we had proximity keyless entry. That’s the only thing we’ve both missed terribly. It makes we wish I could rum doorless all the time.

No matter which model you choose, you’ll love it. I’ve had Jeeps for almost my entire adult life, and my almost 16 yr old son has more than an itch to get his first one. They get in your blood.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I’d get an optioned up Sport S and use part of the saved money to get Katskin leather installed. You’ll get better leather seats for less money.

IMO, the only real reason to get a Sahara is the selectrac Auto 4x4 system. You could add the 8” uConnect as another reason but you’re just adding navigation that could be done by apple carplay or android auto.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the new tips guys. I was thinking (Wife says that's dangerous for me) that I will need the 4 door. She drives a Mustang GT with only 2 doors, and the back seats are there just for looks. I drive an F-150 Crew Cab. When we carry friends, and family the F-150 is the go to vehicle, hence the need for a 4-door as my dearest ain't getting rid of her Stang. :) BTW, I do like the 2-Door better as it is what a Jeep should be IMHO.

As far as trim level I appreciate the advise on the Rubicon, but I won't need all the capability of the Sahara let alone the Rubicon. So, it's still up in the air as to a Sport S or a Sahara. We take a lot of road trips, and the Jeep would be included in those trips. But as I type this it's the Sahara I'm leaning towards just for the little more luxury aspect. But, who knows that could surely change.

Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
New Sahara owner here. regarding your last post, you say you take a lot of road trips. If they are over 300 miles I would strongly suggest the Sahara. The extra creature comforts will be much appreciated. Our Sahara will be mainly a Tarmac Tarantula but it's nice to know it can wheel when necessary.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
In 2013 I bought a 2012 JKU Sahara with 12K on it. I spent and additional 6 or 8K adding options and still was not at the Rubicon level of capability.
Then you might have spent money on the wrong things. For $8k, you’d be able to replace the front axle, get lockers and get wheels and tires. If you spent that much and still lost out to a stock Rubicon, that sounds like the minority result. I know dudes that rock stock Sports that can handle any trail out there...

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’d get an optioned up Sport S and use part of the saved money to get Katskin leather installed. You’ll get better leather seats for less money.

IMO, the only real reason to get a Sahara is the selectrac Auto 4x4 system. You could add the 8” uConnect as another reason but you’re just adding navigation that could be done by apple carplay or android auto.
I think many have lost track of the original post. He wasn’t asking to go nuts on the trails. He said he wanted a commuter and “might” stretch the legs off-road. Frankly, in the real world, that’s code for - I want to, but life will dictate if I want to bust up a 50k vehicle on the trails or just enjoy the sun with the fam on weekends. Neither is an insult and I’ve done both.

So honestly there isn’t enough being said about the Sport. I started there. I opted it out to what I wanted, didn’t feel bad about replacing parts, and then I could field test what I actually did with it. It will still turn heads and just today I stopped by a New JL Sport at the gym and had a good look. Top was off and I liked the look they did. I didn’t look down on them and say “shoulda bought a Rubicon, dork”.

Wrangler Nation, baby!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest problem right now is I really like the 2-door. So, while running scenarios through my old brain I may have came upon the solution of getting a Jeep in a 2-Door, and not worry about hauling anything but me, the bride, and enough stuff for us. And, I won't have a need to take it on our road trips unless I want. I have a 2006 Mustang GT Coupe manual tranny as a DD..........Bingo. I think you know where I'm going with that. :)

So, in the ever changing world of me getting that Jeep that I've always wanted I may be looking for a nice used 2-door. And, as an added plus I can get the manual I really wanted instead of the auto. The bride can, but won't drive a manual. And, if I get rid of my F-150 I'll have to buy an auto. Goodness, this thing is coming together nicely.

Thank to all of you good folks for your help, suggestions, and conversations.
Sponsored