OP
OP

FordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer
Welcome from Montreal.

In my opinion, get all the packages. Ok, that might seems like a lot, but they are worth it. Cold Weather package is a must in Canada and includes remote start. Even if you don't plan to tow, the Tow Package includes HD Electric, so your wiring harness will include the extra wiring for lights, radios, dash cams (etc) which is the hardest part. It also includes a bigger battery and alternator. The 8.4" UConnect 4C with 9 speaker Alpine is amazing. I can turn the volume up ALL THE WAY and it still sounds good! Why bother with aftermarket, when you can get this with warranty.

I did not get colour-matched anything. I wanted to be able to repair or replace the top and fenders cheaper and more easily. I also like the rugged look of the textured-black parts.

I got cloth seats, but also have Bartact premium tactical MOLLE seat covers, front and back.

Lastly, the steel bumpers... I got them, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I added a winch, and it was probably less expensive to replace the whole bumper than it was to put a winch plate in the OEM steel bumper. AEV bumpers for the JL will be out soon, and they are WAY better.

Lastly, find and print the Canada Order Guide from this site. Let your dealer know that you've seen the "Invoice" price and you won't get screwed on a good deal. If you order something in Canada, you will not pay less than Invoice. The numbers in Canada and the US are not the same. US Dealer price is the same as Canadian MSRP...

Good luck. Sting-Grey rocks!
Fellow Montrealer right here!

Great advise man, honestly have to throw a shout out to you for the Canada Order Guide advice. The dealer I went to balooned the hell out of the value and was trying to rip me off like no tomorrow. If it weren't for that and bunch of other advice Id be paying close to $75K for a Rubicon without even giving it second though. It was a terrible experience and I will not be conducting my business with them.

Any recommendations on Local spots? The place I went to was in Mercier, on the south shore and the amount of lies spewing from these rodents 2 and Sales managers mouth was horrendous. Terrible experience.

I contacted a place in Laval, that's where I found out that next month the 2020 models come out and they are no longer even producing custom orders due to that. Only dealer to dealer exchanges. The only build I found remotely in the configuration I was looking for was apparently in transit, expected to arrive in the next few weeks. Not a fan of the remote soft top though. Really feeling the look and durability of that Freedom hardtop.

Will be checking some of your posts, that JL of your sounds like a beast! Thanks again
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great that you were able to walk away from a deal going bad, easy to get caught up in the moment and ignore your better judgement. Hopefully you can find a more ethical dealer that won't torch your money & your time. Good luck and yeah, Sting Gray does rock!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
welcome to the forum. first thing i like to say that i understand how the dealership treated you. not picking on you, but you basically walked in as a rookie that a salesperson can spot a mile away. once they see it, then they will sucker you in to something they want to sell you. not necessarily what you want. i basically did the research and found the jl at a dealer's lot with what i wanted. i went to that dealer and showed them the vin or sticker number shown that they have it on there lot. right then and there, they figure out that i knew what i was looking for.

back to our original post. i would look at the 4 door jl because it will have space you need. the other thing is that you are in canada so the cold weather package would be a must have. from there its up to you what you want. like other have mentioned is to look at the rubicon. they are great and will have everything you could ask for. you might want to look at the sport model. and build it from there. i would go on the jeep website and build the jeep as to what you want. look at all the models and options. that way you can see the difference in what options are being offered. that what i did and save a ton of money and knocked out a bunch of options that i didnt need. i would also recommend to stick with the 3.6l v6. they are a great motor. once you build a jeep to you specs. search around for dealers and see who has one the matched your build.

the other way is to order a jeep to what you want. i believe the ordering is closed for the 2019 model due to the 2020 coming out. with that you still can do what i mentioned above. you might get lucky, like i did and find a jeep on the lot the way you want. or you may have to take one without a particular option.

with that, there is plenty of was to go on picking out a jeep. the main thing is to have the info on the jeep to what you want before heading out to the dealer. once you know what you want, the rest is easy and straight forward as to test driving and dealing.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Ok, so since I know you're a Montrealer, I'll add some details that apply to me. You're already looking at a Rubicon, so it's not a hard sell...

Quebec has some restrictions. You are allowed to lift your Jeep, but the rockers cannot be more than 3.5" above stock. That means you can take a factory stock Rubicon, put 35" tires and a 2.5" lift and that's it for street-legal. Lots of people get away with more, including not having their tires completely covered by fenders, or not having mud guards, but most of them live off-island. I live downtown and park on the street, so I'm sticking with fully street-legal. The Rubicon also comes with winter-rated tires, so you won't have to change them in the fall. I ran the BFGs this winter, and they were no worse than any winter-only tires I've had before. I plan to go with 35s and an AEV lift when my tires are worn.

Jeep dealership in Mercier? I drive past that one all the time, but I got mine from Boulevard near the Rockland mall (40/15 area). I don't necessarily recommend them as the salesman I dealt with is no longer there. It feels like every other dealership to me, just in it for sales. Since I had all the details at the ready, my experience was... reasonable. I do my own oil changes, so I've only been back to the dealer once in 13 months.

Yes, people who know they are driving a Wrangler will Jeep Wave. Which is to say, the average Sahara owner who isn't paying attention will not "see" another Wrangler as it goes by and know to wave. Almost anyone driving a Rubicon is passionate about Jeeps and spots them and waves excitedly! I see very few Sport trims on the Island, maybe they're more popular in the 'burbs.

Once you have one, you'll always want to be driving it!

My Rubicon went naked for a Fourth of July parade in upstate NY today!

IMG_20190704_124129.jpg

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Some really great advice in here and an OP who genuinely seems to have got something from it. This is the forum at it’s best. Well done guys.

:thumbsup

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep JKU, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Hello everyone!

Im new to the forums here and have been doing a tad bit of research, but I wanted to reach out before pulling the trigger on a Wrangler.

Ive been driving Fords my entire life. F-150's, Mustangs, Fusion and currently a 2019 Explorer Sport.
Recently I had enough of Ford and started looking at Jeep. Im very drawn to the "I can drive anywhere abilities" and I have dabbled in off roading. Nothing too serious more out of low confidence in my vehicles off road capabilities than anything. I am a very outdoors kinda guy, hunting, camping, fishing and would love to add some serious off roading to that list.

So long story short, Im trading in my 2019 Explorer because I absolutely hate it, but I am stuck on what trim to buy. I have 2 Kids, want some serious capabilities but without all the luxuries. It will be a daily driver.

My thoughts were 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Sting Grey, Cloth seats with a hardtop colour match roof, fenders and Metal front & rear bumpers..not to sure on the other essential options or what's just a money grab.....I basically want a freaking tank on 4 wheels that I can go anywhere with and when its full of bullet casings, blood and grime. I can just take a pressure washer to the inside and its ready to go on its next run.

I only know what Ive learned about Jeep in the 5 days Ive been researching on youtube videos and the forums. I know the dealership is going to try and rape me on the Rubicon and Im already approved. So before I pull the trigger Im looking for anyone to chime in!

Thanks,
I look forward to taking part in your community!
I went through the same thing as you for over a year... couldn't decide on which trim to get. I'd start with the sport... and then add a few options that I felt necessary, but then figured, well... for that price... I may as well get the Sahara (both being extremely capable). But then... I knew I'd need more aggressive tires on the Sahara. 5 new tires would run me over $2K... so in the end... the Rubicon had everything I wanted (and more) for only a difference of $1600 or so. The way I look at it... $1600 is a super deal on all the extras that the Rubicon has straight out of the box.

Now... if you live anywhere close to Toronto... GO TO PEEL CHRYSLER... I saved around $15,000 on a fully loaded (and I mean FULLY) Rubicon JLU with powertop. It had way more features than I ever would have ordered... but the deal was cheaper than any dealership I could find with far less options.

Good luck.
Sponsored