Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Dad always said when you have a question always ask someone with experience. And I'm sure I'm at the correct place for this question. Like most guys I have wanted a Jeep for a long time, and there's no time like the present. But, with so many styles I'm stumped as to which will serve me best. I'm not a die hard off roader, and will use the Jeep for pleasure driving, some daily driving, and at times just turn down a dirt road just to see where it goes. I would like a little luxury, leather seats, A/C etc., but that's about all. If other do dads come with that it's OK. So I ask, if you good people have the time can you give me suggestions on which level of Jeep I would need. Thank you in advance for your time.

Jim
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
@Torero is probably right, a Sahara would probably be great. By the same token, though, you may be able to save a few bucks with a nicely equipped Sport S and be pretty happy, if having more luxury features than just leather, heated seats, a/c, etc. matter to you. I'd cross-shop the two trims.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Dad always said when you have a question always ask someone with experience. And I'm sure I'm at the correct place for this question. Like most guys I have wanted a Jeep for a long time, and there's no time like the present. But, with so many styles I'm stumped as to which will serve me best. I'm not a die hard off roader, and will use the Jeep for pleasure driving, some daily driving, and at times just turn down a dirt road just to see where it goes. I would like a little luxury, leather seats, A/C etc., but that's about all. If other do dads come with that it's OK. So I ask, if you good people have the time can you give me suggestions on which level of Jeep I would need. Thank you in advance for your time.

Jim
I really wanted the Sahara because I felt like it fit my needs...but to be completely honest...my Sport S has been great! Only thing else I might have wanted is the trailer package...but I’ve got a truck if I need to tow something. If you could deal without leather seats, don’t need the part time 4wd or the proximity entry, you could save a little over $4000 by just getting a well equipped Sport S.

My options:
-3.6L V6
-8 speed auto
-Tech Group (Uconnect 4 7” display and 7” cluster display, auto temp control a/c)
-Convenience Group (remote start and garage door opener)
-Anti Slip Diff
-black freedom top
-MSRP: $40,720

Sahara with EXACT same options plus leather seats:
-MSRP: $44,970

But again...if you want those luxury items, the Sahara is what you need...the Rubicon is REALLY nice, but it’s geared towards heavy off road use.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I really wanted the Sahara because I felt like it fit my needs...but to be completely honest...my Sport S has been great! Only thing else I might have wanted is the trailer package...but I’ve got a truck if I need to tow something. If you could deal without leather seats, don’t need the part time 4wd or the proximity entry, you could save a little over $4000 by just getting a well equipped Sport S.

My options:
-3.6L V6
-8 speed auto
-Tech Group (Uconnect 4 7” display and 7” cluster display, auto temp control a/c)
-Convenience Group (remote start and garage door opener)
-Anti Slip Diff
-black freedom top
-MSRP: $40,720

Sahara with EXACT same options plus leather seats:
-MSRP: $44,970

But again...if you want those luxury items, the Sahara is what you need...the Rubicon is REALLY nice, but it’s geared towards heavy off road use.
If he needs leather he can get a set of katzkins put in for about half the difference and have 2k for other mods left

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Loaded Sahara for you.
I have Rubicon. Very happy with it. But it would be overkill for you.
“The pond would be perfect for you.”

—
Ty Webb

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Sahara is a solid option. I do much more daily driving than I do climbing. Buying a Rubi would be just to say I had one. You can make a Sahara just as cool as any Jeep you’ve seen out there.

Frankly- you’ll end up spending money for upgrades the second you buy any trim level, so don’t worry- Jeep has your money either way. :)

0041863F-F98F-477C-8CBE-83140825C9CC.jpeg

3A5B001F-8867-4BFB-9CE6-688D24CA679E.jpeg

Alf1096

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I guess my opinion is a little different than everyone. I always suggest the rubicon because most people who start Jeeping usually end up doing harder trails as they advance. The JL rubicon is capable of pretty hard stuff out of the box. I plan on leaving mine stock and I came from 2 modified JKs.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I bought a Rubicon because I do wheel moderate stuff and would like to try harder things as time goes on. That being said, it is a slightly rougher ride on the road. I wouldn't change a thing for me however it does sound like a Sahara is the best fit for you.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I guess my opinion is a little different than everyone. I always suggest the rubicon because most people who start Jeeping usually end up doing harder trails as they advance. The JL rubicon is capable of pretty hard stuff out of the box. I plan on leaving mine stock and I came from 2 modified JKs.
I would agree with you, but I believe the OP is not planning to grow into off roading.
I myself bought a Rubicon just because I like the capability but I’m sure I won’t be off roading. I would have been just fine with a Sahara with a small lift and the Rubi tires. However, I love the look of the little locking switches lol.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Most would tell you get a Sahara. But if you have even a remote desire to own a Rubicon, buy the Rubi.
This is true especially given the very small difference in price between a fully loaded Sahara and a moderately optioned rubicon. Keep in mind that Sahara's come with ugly street tires and 18" wheels, where the rubicon has great AT tires from the factory that many people here are spending 12-1500 on to beef up their sports and sahara's. If you don't mind me asking, what's your target price range?

nova99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire, 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Ebony Twilight, 2018 JLUR Bright White
I agree with above post. I had a JKU Rubi and loved the aesthetics..vented hood, wheels, etc. So when time came for a JLU I bought another Rubi not because of off-road capabilities but based more on looks..vented hood, wheels, and FINALLY BFG AT KO2, and I wanted non-painted fenders and hardtop. On Sahara all the fenders are painted. Yes, I will get flamed for opinion this but bottom line use the configurator and set a budget. Then go drive them as the dynamics are different between the models. Buy want suits your need and wallet. Good luck

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
We're old enough be some of you folks grandparents. Our first 4x4 was a 1978 Toyota FJ40 bought new. The beast would climb a tree dragging an elephant. Over twenty years of wheeling it we learned how to pick lines and use every bit of its capabilities. We did stuff that we wouldn't even attempt in our current Rubi. Of course we've lost a bit of nerve and reaction time.

Our 2018 Rubicon is twice the machine of the FJ40. It will do things out of the box that we no longer have the guts to do. For beginners, a Sport or Sahara will do everything they need to do except if they let their testosterone get ahead of their brains.

If you think you really want to learn wheeling and plan to keep it for more years than you finance it for, buy a basic Sport with desired options. As your skills grow, build it for your needs. If you're a youngster with money to burn and more testosterone than brains, then buy the Rubicon and spend thousands in unneeded mods for your skill level, but just don't waste your money on a Jeep in a tutu Sahara. However, that said, a full dress Sahara will do stuff that will make a beginner wet their pants.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
We're old enough be some of you folks grandparents. Our first 4x4 was a 1978 Toyota FJ40 bought new. The beast would climb a tree dragging an elephant. Over twenty years of wheeling it we learned how to pick lines and use every bit of its capabilities. We did stuff that we wouldn't even attempt in our current Rubi. Of course we've lost a bit of nerve and reaction time.

Our 2018 Rubicon is twice the machine of the FJ40. It will do things out of the box that we no longer have the guts to do. For beginners, a Sport or Sahara will do everything they need to do except if they let their testosterone get ahead of their brains.

If you think you really want to learn wheeling and plan to keep it for more years than you finance it for, buy a basic Sport with desired options. As your skills grow, build it for your needs. If you're a youngster with money to burn and more testosterone than brains, then buy the Rubicon and spend thousands in unneeded mods for your skill level, but just don't waste your money on a Jeep in a tutu Sahara. However, that said, a full dress Sahara will do stuff that will make a beginner wet their pants.
This is the best post I’ve ever read on this forum.

“Jeep in a tutu.” Ha!!
Sponsored