Flush and Refill Differential Fluid after offroad

Lehman26

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler JL XR
Question for everyone. Just took the Jeep to AOAA in PA and took it through some fairly deep water/mud holes. My question is at what depth of water will it allow the water in to contaminate the diff fluid. I have a stock Sahara and am thinking at most the level was up to the factory side steps. Just looking to see if I should be looking into switch out the fluid or its fine.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Question for everyone. Just took the Jeep to AOAA in PA and took it through some fairly deep water/mud holes. My question is at what depth of water will it allow the water in to contaminate the diff fluid. I have a stock Sahara and am thinking at most the level was up to the factory side steps. Just looking to see if I should be looking into switch out the fluid or its fine.
Did you go deep enough you were above the breather tubes?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I guess that's the answer I'm trying to find, where exactly is the tube located?
In a Rubi it comes off the axle and up into the chassis. Presume a Sahara does similar. If you climb under you can trace it along.

OP
OP
Lehman26

Lehman26

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler JL XR
In a Rubi it comes off the axle and up into the chassis. Presume a Sahara does similar. If you climb under you can trace it along.
Ok yes I saw the line coming off of it now and it's exactly like the rubicons. I'm thinking that I wasnt that deep in the water . Is there a simple way to just check the fluid without drawing it, if I remove the fill plug will fluid come out or is the fill level under that

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ok yes I saw the line coming off of it now and it's exactly like the rubicons. I'm thinking that I wasnt that deep in the water . Is there a simple way to just check the fluid without drawing it, if I remove the fill plug will fluid come out or is the fill level under that
Fill level is under the fill plug. I seriously doubt you will have water in the diffs.

But if you really want to check since oil is heavier than the water so the water rises if you pull the top plug and use some sort of q-tip you can skim and see if water or oil is at the top.

OP
OP
Lehman26

Lehman26

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler JL XR
Fill level is under the fill plug. I seriously doubt you will have water in the diffs.

But if you really want to check since oil is heavier than the water so the water rises if you pull the top plug and use some sort of q-tip you can skim and see if water or oil is at the top.
Awesome man , really appreciate the help! Thanks
Sponsored