Flat Tow bumper bashed on forum.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
There are a number of threads on this and other forums bashing the design and reliability of your Patriot Aluminum bumpers for flat towing.
I would like to see your comments on this.
Sponsored

ROCK HARD 4X4

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
There are a number of threads on this and other forums bashing the design and reliability of your Patriot Aluminum bumpers for flat towing.
More likely than not, it's a factor of not seeing our system in person. Thousands of Jeepers are towing right now with our parts. But not thousands, not dozens, not one thread on an actual failure. It's a forum thing, reality is the great truth teller.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I have only seen one thread with one obsessed person continually bashing Rock Hard and other bumper tow solutions. If there are others, please post a link to them. Virtually every other post I have seen on the topic of flat towing has positive comments on Rock Hard bumpers and their towbar connection. Other than the cost, I feel this is a great solution with a better towbar to Jeep connection than the BleuOx baseplate on my previous flat tow vehicle.

New2Jeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS; 2018 HD Heritage Classic Softail; 2012 Victory Vegas 8-Ball; 2003 Monaco Windsor
I really like the Patriot Aluminum bumper setup. I find out tomorrow how well it tows the Jeep. I pick up the Jeep after getting the supplemental brakes and wiring harness installed.

I really thought the winch would sit lower than it does. But it still looks good.

The bumper fits very close to the front tire fender flares. I'd only seen this on Rubicons (which have higher mounted flares), so didn't realize it would fit so tightly. It looks very good like this though. This is mounted on a JLU Sahara. I also got the matching rear bumper.

small2.jpg

small3.jpg

small4.jpg

small5.jpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Im in the process of installing my RH Patriot aluminum front bumper this weekend.

I'm also installing the LOD frame reinforcing gusset brackets. They are compatible, I can say after having trial fit everything yesterday. They also have a flange with a hole for a safety chain. The brackets are only for the outboard side of the frame. But they pick up a couple holes in a similar manner the Blue Ox and other systems attach.

The frame itself is a pretty thin materal in this area. Probably for crush zone. This could be another factor in why FCA doesn't recommend towing off the bumper. The LOD brackets help distribute the load. Could be better, but it should be fine for my very occasional towing, since the failure mode is fatigue, not ultimate strength overload.

One thing I'd like to do to my bumper installation is get rid of the RH supplied tubular spacers and replace them with full flat plates (aluminum) of the same thickness. This will help distribute the compressive loads into the frame more directly, if I bump something, rather than the spacers taking all the load into the flanges and potentially bending them sooner than the frame would yield.

Sponsored

LEO95

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler Jk hardtop
I installed the Aluminum Patriot Mid on my 2018 JLU Rubicon as soon as it became available. I have pulled my Jeep long and short distances multiple times. I am obsessed with safety and I don’t take chances. This is an outstanding product and very durable. It looks great! In addition, it weighs 48 lbs with the tow adapters and two shackles installed. The stock plastic bumper with tow hooks weighs 42 lbs. I only added 6 lbs with this mod which gave me a lot of breathing room with my winch weight.

Honestly don’t think you could find a better product that does so much for the money!

I also installed Rockhard’s aluminum rear bumper, rock sliders, hinge gate reinforcement and adjustable spare tire mount...

I love my bumpers

Lee

QUOTE="Hgrace, post: 428442, member: 20287"]There are a number of threads on this and other forums bashing the design and reliability of your Patriot Aluminum bumpers for flat towing.
I would like to see your comments on this.[/QUOTE]

16E4678C-3F6F-4E2F-98D7-43C687468E04.jpeg

1DE960F6-C0FF-4EC1-BB13-CB0287D58F20.jpeg

SimianHacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
I installed the Aluminum Patriot Mid on my 2018 JLU Rubicon as soon as it became available. I have pulled my Jeep long and short distances multiple times. I am obsessed with safety and I don’t take chances. This is an outstanding product and very durable. It looks great! In addition, it weighs 48 lbs with the tow adapters and two shackles installed. The stock plastic bumper with tow hooks weighs 42 lbs. I only added 6 lbs with this mod which gave me a lot of breathing room with my winch weight.

Honestly don’t think you could find a better product that does so much for the money!

I also installed Rockhard’s aluminum rear bumper, rock sliders, hinge gate reinforcement and adjustable spare tire mount...

I love my bumpers

Lee

QUOTE="Hgrace, post: 428442, member: 20287"]There are a number of threads on this and other forums bashing the design and reliability of your Patriot Aluminum bumpers for flat towing.

16E4678C-3F6F-4E2F-98D7-43C687468E04.jpeg

1DE960F6-C0FF-4EC1-BB13-CB0287D58F20.jpeg
Was the hole for the 7-pin connector already there or did you have to drill/cut it yourself? I also have a little thingy for the brake disconnect that I would need to find a place for (maybe on top) near the winch. Do you connect the safety chains to the shackles?
Sponsored

Last edited: