Flash drive issue.

Dunlop-R

First Name
Regis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S 2018 JL
I tried a USB 3.0 flash drive. Didn't work. Same basic problem.

The drive does start playing immediately. But, uConnect insists on (re)building an index file, every single time. It builds a lot faster than before. But is still slow enough to make it forget where it was previously.

I'm hoping the uConnect TSB addresses this.
Identical for me. I tried a USB 3.1 and I arrive at the same conclusion. The scan of the key each time is not necessary and too long.
Sponsored

Tod13

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU with Dog
Identical for me. I tried a USB 3.1 and I arrive at the same conclusion. The scan of the key each time is not necessary and too long.
I'm not sure when I'll have the uConnect TSB addressed. We just moved and it looks like the "best" dealer service location is ~50 miles (~80 km in Quebec) away. But I'll report back after I've done that.

hari3286

First Name
Hari Shankar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler unlimited JL
I do have the same issue with Uconnect 4 7"screen in my Rubicon. Is there any fix available now?

Dunlop-R

First Name
Regis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since a few weeks, I use an old Galaxy S3 as a storage medium. The radio seems to remember this device better. Sometimes the start scan is too long and the FM radio starts. But, there are remember songs and "Random" mode selected. Another advantage, I am able to add songs remotely via Wifi with an application called "Syncthing".

Tod13

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU with Dog
I'm not sure when I'll have the uConnect TSB addressed. We just moved and it looks like the "best" dealer service location is ~50 miles (~80 km in Quebec) away. But I'll report back after I've done that.
I went to the dealer and they said no updates to my uConnect were available. So, there is still no fix for this.

I need a t-shirt when discussing this that says "NO! I do not want to use my phone to play music in my car." LOL

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I have a full 128gb 3.0 samsung and I gave up after 15 minutes of the 5 dot wait dance. My music is segregated into artist folders and the albums then again into their folders. I have a crappy aftermarket head unit in my car that takes 20 seconds to show the files. Did they only count on us having one or two albums to play on a 1gb stick? Is there anyone here that has better file build response or is this the norm for all of us? After the first build will it remember the next time? On a positive note the music does sound much better than the Sirius.

Dunlop-R

First Name
Regis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is actually a workaround to use the phone. The problem is that the radio forgetting the identity of the USB drive. Which requires a new "scan" of it.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
I use 32GB 3.0 thumb drive with around 600 songs. browse is nearly instantaneous. I set up many playlists using media player.

Uconnect Media Player will recognize .wma and .mp3 music files for folder and voice cmd support ... so only use those file formats for usb drives.

UMP will recognize other file formats (like .wav) and play these files, but the browse function will not work with these files. That's why one can get an infinite loop ... waiting for the browse function to recognize the file structure for files it does not recognize.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
It was curious that My drive immediately defaulted to playing the files that had Flac formatted music. It however was stuck in accessing the folders to select the others. I have a few other formats in the drive so I will try weeding them out to see if that was the root cause. Thanks!

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Mine resets and seems to always select the song "Too much time on my hands" by Styx, a good classic song but I hate it now. And while its reindexing it will not let you turn the sound down so you are forced to listen to it for 30 seconds or so.

I read somewhere a patch is coming but is not deployed to web, I dont know if if addresses this issue. I really wish it would.

Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I left it plugged in overnight and it finally organized everything. This morning it pulled up just fine. It's a samsung 128gb 3.0 that I took out of my car. Looking to purchase a 256gb as I would like to have access to a larger collection. My worries are if the unit will have issues with that size. Does anyone here run larger than 128gb?

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
How long does the Browse function take to cycle through all your songs on a daily basis on your 128GB thumb drive?

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Looks like it accesses instantaneously. I will check on my way home tonight to time how fast. I guess it had to store the files or something. Anyways, It no longer is doing the 5 dot waiting dance. I was wanting to go 256gb but am waiting to see if anyone is running a large USB before wasting $$.

Tod13

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU with Dog
Looks like it accesses instantaneously. I will check on my way home tonight to time how fast. I guess it had to store the files or something. Anyways, It no longer is doing the 5 dot waiting dance. I was wanting to go 256gb but am waiting to see if anyone is running a large USB before wasting $$.
Nobody else is getting even a smaller USB 3.0+ drive to work reliably. Even leaving smaller drives in for days, the player randomly/frequently loses track of which song it is playing when the vehicle is restarted.

Once loaded or indexed, it works "instantly" because it loads everything in to memory or uses some sort of index. That index or loaded version is frequently lost. Even with drives with nothing but MP3s in it.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
So I timed my 128gb. After ignition the last song plays within a second. I then immediately access the files and see the 5 dots. 35 seconds later it lets me select the list and it's ready to go. With that response time I would expect a 256gb to have a 60 second turnaround. My concern is if a 256gb is recognized. I'll see if there's a black Friday or cyber Monday deal worth waiting for.
Sponsored