Fishbone Stubby Bumper

Fatboydrone

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU; 2020 Jeep Cherokee
I’ve searched and not been able to find a thread specific to this bumper. Quadratec has a bundled bumper, winch, and a led light bar for a good price. My issue is, it is for a JK. The research I have been able to find says that most JK bumpers are compatible on the JL. I am wanting to know if anyone specifically has installed this bumper on a JL? I did ask someone at Quadratec, and he said no, it wasn’t compatible. For some reason, I felt like he was just saying that to give me an answer. Anyway, has anyone tried this bumper out and if so, did it fit? Any modifications to make it fit?
Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I just installed a Fishbone Offroad FB22090 Mako Stubby Front Bumper for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT on my 2020 Rubicon today. I am not sure about the one you are questioning but the Mako is one of three listed on Quadratec for the JL. It is heavy duty. The finish looks and feels durable.

It fit like a glove, almost like it was made for this jeep. ;). It did not come with directions. Look on YouTube and you will find plenty of help. The fog lamps fit fine.

It arrived without damage. The way it was packed, even the most abusive of FedEx drivers would have a hard time damaging it. They crammed Styrofoam blocks around it in the box then filled it in with spray foam. I think it took longer to unpack and clean up than to install.

In comparison I put a DV8 rear bumper on also (busy day...). It looks good but did not fit as well as the Fishbone. I have a few doubts about the DV8 finish durability. That may be premature judgment but time will tell.

Mom2SNSH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I just installed a Fishbone Offroad FB22090 Mako Stubby Front Bumper for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT on my 2020 Rubicon today. I am not sure about the one you are questioning but the Mako is one of three listed on Quadratec for the JL. It is heavy duty. The finish looks and feels durable.

It fit like a glove, almost like it was made for this jeep. ;). It did not come with directions. Look on YouTube and you will find plenty of help. The fog lamps fit fine.

It arrived without damage. The way it was packed, even the most abusive of FedEx drivers would have a hard time damaging it. They crammed Styrofoam blocks around it in the box then filled it in with spray foam. I think it took longer to unpack and clean up than to install.

In comparison I put a DV8 rear bumper on also (busy day...). It looks good but did not fit as well as the Fishbone. I have a few doubts about the DV8 finish durability. That may be premature judgment but time will tell.
Got pics??? I just ordered the same for my 18JL!

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll get a few tomorrow. Have to admit, I was whipped Sunday making room in the garage, putting both bumpers on and cleaning up. Getting old.... :whew:

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to follow up on this thread.

The Mako bumper shows some promise. I had a whitetail deer dart out in front of me this morning. I was doing about 50 mph and hit it center of the jeep. I went over that thing like a speed bump. Pulled into the next turnoff to see the damage. Messed up the cheap plastic bracket holding on the license plate but the bumper and jeep were unscathed (sans a little fur on the bumper and deer poop on the windshield).

I would hate to see what would have happened to the stock plastic POS that the jeep came with!

Chalk one up for the Fishbone Mako. I'll take this as my test run for it being protester proof. If it could handle the whitetail that easily, it can take on a skinny neckbeard any day! (I wonder how the washer fluid would handle neckbeard poop on the windshield....)

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I'm going to resurrect this thread briefly. Do you have pictures of how you ran the fog light wiring? I Instaled mine and the extra wiring looped around and zip-tied looks like ass. I'm wondering if anyone has tidier options?

1Placerville

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is on a 2019 JL with the Quadratec winch. The bumper is solid and I'd buy it again...even had a lady back into the side of it and received a small scratch. Her car on the other hand did not fare well at all. I don't know if it will fit a JK.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fishbone Stubby Bumper splorin
Sponsored

Last edited: