First Impressions (SoCal based...)

Kissell

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Just picked up my JL Rubicon Monday. Loaded, Firecracker red, hard top, towing, LED, leather, etc., etc.
First, I want everyone (especially Socal folks) to know that the buying experience through Jim Marsh Jeep in Vegas was flawless. I ordered mid May, it arrived last week, so about 9 or 10 weeks. Antonio let me know when it got to the shop, and he parked it out back. I flew in to Vegas, and Troy from Jim Marsh met me at the airport to take me to the dealership, about 45 mins away. Since it was the end of the month, they were jammed but the entire process was a breeze. No hard sales, the finance woman offered me a discounted warranty, but didn't force it, and told me to call back anytime if I wanted it. Car was spotless, and Troy walked me thru the features. Except for all the other people there, the whole thing would have taken only an hour. If anyone is having trouble finding a good deal (5+% below invoice) do yourself a favor and reach out to Antonio.

I drove the car 300 miles the next morning back to SoCal. So for any of you on the fence about buying, here are my first impressions:
1. Steering was a bit looser than our other cars, but about 200 miles in either I was used to it, or it got better somehow, and was no problem at all, even on the windy 15 South passing semi's. Have been driving it regularly since and zero issues.
2. I did between 65 and 85mph the whole way back. Great performance in the engine, and WAY less wind noise than I expected. I have the hard top, but heard none of the windshield whistle others have mentioned. It actually sounds no louder than our other SUV, and even with the big tires the ride quality was very similar to the Yukon.
3. Technology/radio is awesome. The Uconnect is a way better system than any of our other cars. Stereo sounds great, AC was on the whole time (it was 106), everything worked perfect. The Uconnect set up was a breeze, and bluetooth sound and Sat radio both sounded great.
4.Seat height was not an issue. I am 6' 2" - 210lbs, and my head was nowhere near the roof line, and I got the headliners as well. I can see how it might be nice to lower the seat a little more than is offered, but I have no fit issues with the height or leg space.
5.Build quality: This is a well made truck. Doors snap shut, everything works as it should, and way more interior space than I expected.
Other stuff: Parking attendant at The Mirage offered to put it in the VIP section of the hotel. And when I came out in the AM, there was an elderly foreign couple taking pictures of it. Also lots of waves from other Jeepers, and lots of comments at gas stations. Have not touched any of the 4x4 stuff yet, but hope to have it dirty this weekend. This will be my daily driver, and I absolutely love it. Maybe since mine came at the end of the model year, they have fixed some of the earlier issues with air leaks and other things, but it is a great ride. It would be easy to replace your current SUV with a Wrangler, my wife already prefers it to her truck.
I ordered the Jtop today as we are looking to keep the hardtop off for a few months but have kids and need the sun protection. Meanwhile, the freedom panels are super easy and convenient, and provide plenty of the open air experience. I also spoke with the Top Lift pro people this morning as we will likely get one of those (or similar lift system) for the garage.

Hope that helps anyone looking, good luck! Crappy picture from the lot attached...
rubi.jpg
Sponsored

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
Looks great. I had the same impression today with just a rubicon test drive. The lack of wind at 70mph was what really shocked me. I’m used to my old Jeep and this was a pleasant surprise. I decided to hold off for a 2019 and not order today. Can’t wait to get it.

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2DR JK Rubicon (dozer) 2018 2DR JL Rubicon (granite) (waiting)
Im hopefully going to get my call to go up there to pick up my 2dr rubi this weekend.. last my tracking said was salt lake city on the 29th with expected delivery on the 2nd to 6th. I'm glad to hear everything went smooth with the transaction with them. I will probably opt into the lifetime warranty as it seems to be a good deal if you keep it for a long while.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Congrats! You’ll love it! Just be sure you get that top off sooner vs later. The world becomes a lot more cool at that point... :sun::rock:

htsai14752

First Name
HTSAI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hope you're enjoying your jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kissell

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
How was the registration process after bringing it back to CA?
So I had to wait at the DMV as I didn’t have an appointment, and there I just paid the taxes and registration. Pretty simple except for the wait. Also while there I ordered custom plates. I would definitely suggest making an appointment. The dealership mailed me everything I needed to bring, and also mailed what was needed to my DMV office.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kissell

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@Kissell...

Yes, how was the CA process? Did You pay the sales tax in CA or did Marsh tax you and send to DMV? Thank you
Paid the sales tax at the DMV here in CA. Except for the wait, pretty simple. Marsh mailed the paperwork to my local DMV office, and mailed me what I needed.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So I had to wait at the DMV as I didn’t have an appointment, and there I just paid the taxes and registration. Pretty simple except for the wait. Also while there I ordered custom plates. I would definitely suggest making an appointment. The dealership mailed me everything I needed to bring, and also mailed what was needed to my DMV office.
I have three letters that will help immensely with the DMV in CA... AAA. Money well spent.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have three letters that will help immensely with the DMV in CA... AAA. Money well spent.
Three words for you, No Can Do. Can’t use AAA for this type of service. Has to be at the DMV.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Three words for you, No Can Do. Can’t use AAA for this type of service. Has to be at the DMV.
That's news to me. I've been a member for 20 years and the only transaction I couldn't do there was a third party title transfer. I guess we do learn something new everyday. Cheers.
Sponsored