Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I did Upper Terminator (in Arizona) on Saturday and sustained some damage. I ending up pulling off both rear fenders when I got home. I'm considering a fender delete kit. DV8 has a nice one with signal lights included. I really love the aggressive look. Anyone running with no fenders? To my knowledge there are no laws affected in AZ. It is simply about the rock/mud/water spray issue. I do typically run without doors in the summer. How bad would it be?
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I did Upper Terminator (in Arizona) on Saturday and sustained some damage. I ending up pulling off both rear fenders when I got home. I'm considering a fender delete kit. DV8 has a nice one with signal lights included. I really love the aggressive look. Anyone running with no fenders? To my knowledge there are no laws affected in AZ. It is simply about the rock/mud/water spray issue. I do typically run without doors in the summer. How bad would it be?
I’m assuming you sustained damage to the fenders.

I personally don’t like the look of no fenders at all but who cares what I think, it’s about what you like.

I think some nice high rise flat fenders would be great. Some good ones on display on the Rugged Ridge rig at SEMA this year. Go check it out.

As for spray, even with my stock fenders it’s pretty bad as my tires poke out a little. I couldn’t imagine with no fenders how bad it would be.

Either way, even though I’m a super cool member on this forum, these are just my personal opinions, in the end you do you brother.

PS:
You could also start a poll..

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm not a big fan of no fenders. i think it throws the looks and design of the jeep. so for me, i rather have the full fenders on the jeep. it looks better. like morton said its your jeep.

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I damaged 3 of 4 fenders (plus other things). I know this a personal opinion and everyone's varies. I am considering all options. Right now I am more interested in anyone who has first hand experience running without fenders. I want to know how bad I will get sprayed if I leave it like that, or if it really isn't that significant - factually, not speculation.

I do know removing them will benefit me in 2 ways - no more fender damage and less worry about narrow areas on the trails and in my opinion it really does look bad ass without the fenders. I wanted to upgrade to some really nice steel fenders (I love the Body Armor Stealth fenders), but I worry about the more significant, permanent damage if they take a beating.

For now,iIf I don't do the delete kit I would probably get the Bushwacker fenders...flexible but attached more securely so they won't pop off if they get jammed. THey're also very inexpensive in case I destroy them again, haha. I could've simply reattached my current fenders and replaced the broken plastic clips but just didn't want to.

Oh, and I'm a sister, not a brother ;)

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
As for spray.... our fronts hang out completely....yes...you're going to beat the shit out of the paint. But...in AZ, on our narrow trails (if you're running UT...there are far more difficult and narrow trails than that in that same Table Mesa area....Die Hard, Collateral Damage, Annihilator...to name a few)....you'll want the fenders gone or VERY small to allow the tires to hit the canyon walls before damaging sheetmetal.

IMO, I'd rather have the tires scraping the trail obstacles than the sheetmetal (not to mention if you move the tires outboard, you gain stability and clearance for a bigger tire with less lift...we're on 37s with no lift).

YMMV.
Do you drive with the doors off at all? I'm currently stock but am planning to get a 3.5" lift at 37's soon. I damaged 3 of 4 fenders, my rear bumper (steel) has been slightly elevated on the right so the tailgate scrapes when I open it, and I got some damage on the body when I slid off a rock rail :surprised:

scratches.jpg

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@loiacki

I started a thread in the show & tell section on flat / high-line fenders today.

Maybe some members will post their rigs running some.

I’d like a set but don’t know which.

Something to think about in terms of options.

Ive heard that flat fenders are more for looks and a true high-line fender will allow for more up travel but I’ve never run either personally so I have no idea.

Here’s the link:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-high-line-fenders-show-them-off-–○-○–.41171/

Maybe @TTEChris or @rustyshakelford can help with a better explanation than mine?.?

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean K. thanks for the info. I 100% agree about upgrading the rock rails. I've actually been wanting these: https://rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider-set-for-jeep-wrangler-jl-4dr/ because they are flush but still help shorties like me get in :) I learned about the bumper issue from following Lite Brite. All these things have been on my list, but the lift/wheels were supposed to be first. Rock rail sliders/steps next and fenders/bumpers last. My priorities are changing. If only I had a money tree (or 5) in the back yard. Myself personally, I LOVE to run doorless from about early April to late October as long as it isn't too cold in the morning. I miss my motorcycle, so it's the best of both worlds.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a money tree but I looked up today in my backyard and I do have a banana tree!

Maybe I could sell these for money (organic bananas) so technically it is a money tree..

3DF44DC9-2BB5-467F-B90C-F7F759F32E41.jpeg

Anyone want some organic bananas?

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean K. with no front fenders, what are you using for turn signals? Do I see something added to the front below the headlights - like mini JK style signals??

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a money tree but I looked up today in my backyard and I do have a banana tree!

Maybe I could sell these for money (organic bananas) so technically it is a money tree..

3DF44DC9-2BB5-467F-B90C-F7F759F32E41.jpeg

Anyone want some organic bananas?
I love bananas

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Remember when kids thought it was cool to put ground effects and fart cans on their Honda's? If so, you will remember how most of those dudes rode around with primer gray parts forever because painting it to match cost 2x as much as the parts themselves. Those sh!t boxes looked 1/2 assed, thrown together, and generally like crap. That's pretty much how I feel about deleted fenders. Just one dudes opinion here.

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the ONLY reason I’m not doing the fender delete is because I don’t want to be soaked, muddy and battered by rocks all the time. I’ve been looking at all my options in earnest and think I’ll settle on these - they’re steel so they’ll be sturdy and look good, plus they’re pretty slim so I’ll be less likely to wreck them. They’re a lot less than the Road Armor Stealth fenders I’ve been eyeing. Also, the Ace rock sliders have been on my list forever so maybe I’ll just get both and do the thing...

https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/jl-products/products/jl-narrow-fenders-full-set

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I’ve been looking at all my options in earnest and think I’ll settle on these - they’re steel so they’ll be sturdy and look good, plus they’re pretty slim so I’ll be less likely wreck them. They’re a lot less than the Road Armor Stealth fenders I’ve been eyeing. Also, the Ace rock sliders have been on my list forever so maybe I’ll just get both and do the thing...

https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/jl-products/products/jl-narrow-fenders-full-set
I have a set of the ace sliders and like them. I think ACE is having some black Friday deals too, so you may be able to score something at a good price.
Sponsored