FCA working on a new inline 6?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They have been discussing this I-6 over at Allpar for quite a long time. A couple of years I think. Rumor is it'll be 4.0L displacement to possibly latch onto that heritage and it may have forced induction so that it can replace the V8 in pickup trucks as well.

Regarding the original 4.0...that thing is a boat anchor. The torque doesn't come on any sooner than it does with the Pentastar, and the 4.0 only peaks at 235 or so. It's a miserable engine that likes gasoline and leaks oil like a sieve. Some of them seem to last a long time and some seem to die young. They're heavy, noisy, and weak. They also have common head failures and problems with the crank position sensor which is a nightmare to replace. I've owned a couple of them and I don't miss them at all. I actually wouldn't take another one if you gave it to me for free.
Sponsored

Flip888

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cbr1krr, DRZ4-sm, Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business owner.
A well runnrunning 4.0 is a good engine. I have over 200k on my XJ and the engine has been flawlessly reliable since I've owned it. That's it's best feature. Reliability.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a then-new 1984 Ford Bronco powered by Ford's 300cid (4.9L) Straight-6 engine mated to a 4-speed Borg-Warner manual transmission with a long floor-mounted shifter. I loved that truck and its straight-six engine. If they ever put a straight-six in a Wrangler, I'd definitely be interested.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Any new updates on this? I’d be very happy with an I-6 with forced air or a factory offered Pentastar with forced air

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Any new updates on this? I’d be very happy with an I-6 with forced air or a factory offered Pentastar with forced air
I was hoping that is would an option on the new Grand Wagoneer, but I haven't heard anything which to me means it's not coming. How fun would a twin turbo straight six have been!

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
disclaimer - I did not read the articles.

How would an inline 6 cylinder be different than a V6? what's the benefit? it's still 6 cylinders amirite? :giggle:
Also, inline 6 engines have perfect primary and secondary balance, they are among the smoothest running engine designs. A result of that can be less overall mass from huge counterweights and balance shafts making for more efficiency, if the manufacturer does their homework.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I owned 2, 03 TJs with autos that I absolutely hated - one with 3.73s and one with 4.10s. The transmission was just wrong for that engine. I've owned 3 Manual TJs and they were not nearly as bad as the auto......so maybe my issue might be with the transmission rather than the engine.

However, given the choice of either engine in the same vehicle, I would always take the 3.6 over the 4L. It just seems to fit my driving better. And personal driving impressions are usually what sways us. The 4L was a great motor in it's day, but I really like the 3.6.
Remember that the auto trans in those was WAY behind our current 8 sp. The trans alone makes a huge difference (5 more gears). I loved the old 4.0 in my TJ

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Also, inline 6 engines have perfect primary and secondary balance, they are among the smoothest running engine designs. A result of that can be less overall mass from huge counterweights and balance shafts making for more efficiency, if the manufacturer does their homework.
FCA desperately needs a forced induction 6 (for a variety of reasons). As an owner of 2 BMWs I fully support what you said about (well executed) I6 engines.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Couple of different sources are saying, it seems that FCA is working on a new inline 6 cyl engine. I hope it comes to jeep if that happens.

Auto week: https://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/slant-six-round-2-fca-might-be-working-new-inline-six-engine

The Drive: http://www.thedrive.com/news/23674/...e-six-replacement-for-pentastar-engine-family
I would be shocked if they are investing large amounts of money on a new fossil fuel engine. I would hope they are investigating creating a battery electric version, so that they can increase their fuel economy and reduce the amount of money they have to pay Tesla to pool carbon credits in Europe. They are paying Tesla a reported $2B in 2020 to avoid fines.

Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
If it comes to the Jeep line, I hope it's much better than the 4L was. I did not realize how bad that one was until I drove my first 3.6L. I'll take this bent 6 anyday over the 4L.
Agreed.

People remember the 4.0 as some great engine. It was a boat anchor. I had 2 of them. It was heavy, inefficient, and didn't make shit for power.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
My son has a 4.0 in his Cherokee, and he's abused the piss out of it.
At over 200k, and even with a bad cam bearing, it just keeps on going...

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
I was hoping that is would an option on the new Grand Wagoneer, but I haven't heard anything which to me means it's not coming. How fun would a twin turbo straight six have been!
The Wagoneers were supposed to debut the new Tornado or whatever it's designation is AFAIK. I wish they'd get around to doing that so they can also tell us it will be in the 22 Wrangler to compete with Ford's 2.7

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As mentioned above, investing in a ICE , when many countries are banning their use in 2030, to say nothing of states, such as California, doesn't make business sense. Jeeps parent company is European, that doesn't bode well for new ICE engines. Major manufacturers, such as GM, are putting their money on electric platforms.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Let’s not doomsday it yet. Let’s hold out hope.

Now as for the 4.0 from the old days:

It was an ok engine. Never had much power, but it ran. Might not run as well at 200k, but it runs.
The only time I’m not ok with the 4.0 is at highway speeds at elevation. It is not happy at 11,000 feet on I-70 trying to go above 55mph
I do believe it is possible to make an new style I-6 with forced air that would meet all the new regs and have as adequate power curve.

We just need to have fun speculating.
Sponsored

Last edited: