Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Alan, as you may know, examined strictly as an emotionally detached financial and statistical exercise, warranties are almost always not worth their price. They aren't some service; they're a money making product. Bean counter do their best to figure out the likelihood of covered items failing, and their cost for repair, and price their policies high enough to make money.

As a general rule of thumb, if affordable, self insuring oneself on all things in life but potentially financially catastrophic events (medical, home, liability) usually ends up being cheaper.

But some people run budgets with very little wiggle room. Financial planners would say they probably should be driving something less expensive than a JL so they have financial flexibility for just such life's misfortunes like auto repairs, but I could see where repair insurance is necessary for such people. Sadly though it lays homage to the saying, "the rich get richer," as those with more financial flexibility for life's curveballs with no repair insurance and who pay out of pocket often end up shelling out less than those with warranties.

Then there's those who value peace of mind, or maybe who bought a new model when the JL was first introduced with little maintenance track record, or a new JL paradigm like the "Hybrid," or want a guaranteed cap on repair costs.

I accept that, but that peace of mind usually comes with less $ in your wallet.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
I did a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty for $1,800 when I bought on Saturday.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
i did 7 year / 100k. I plan to keep it for a while, so wanted peace of mind.

Sponsored

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
Personally for other new vehicles I've never purchased any additional warranty, and I've never had any problems knock on wood. My 2 cents is its usually a waste of money, but there are those occasionally that benefit from it. It's not the majority though that's for sure. Its mostly a money maker for the dealership.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A extended warranty is insurance. Insurance companies are in business to make money. They make a lot of money.

Depends on one's threshold for repair anxiety. Peace of mind is worth something for some people. Get quotes from one of the online discount Mopar Warranty guys if you plan on buying. The discounts are substantial.

There is also value when you sell in the future. The next owner will have confidence and peace of mind knowing there is a warranty. Or you can refund the unused portion of the warranty because it's prorated.

Pro-tip…get a FCA-Mopar Credit Card and charge the Mopar Extended Warranty on it and get a $100 credit. Just make sure you pay it off when the first bill comes.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It's a very common strategy: scare people and then sell them insurance to ease their minds. Just watch the latest commercials with Chris Berman selling CarShield - he uses the classic approach beautifully. He starts by telling viewers that they are in real danger of facing a large expense that they can't afford, then he pitches an equally high cost item - the insurance. Difference is the warranty cost is for sure while the need for repairs is a maybe.

There is a reason that Warren Buffet's favorite investment sector is insurance - it's a license to print money.

My advice: take the woulda-spent-on-warranty money and sock it away. Chances (odds, actually) are overwhelmingly likely that you'll come out ahead.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Can I ask exactly which credit card ..sounds like perfect idea!
Here you go. Takes 2 minutes to apply. Give Tom Winkles a call at 269-385-1116. He has heavily discounted Mopar extended warranty prices and will take care of the credit card. You will be done in about 5-10 minutes.

https://www.drivepluscard.com/

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Any mods you do to your Jeep will be used as ammunition for the dealers to deny your warranty claim. So I hope you aren't planning to do anything more than sticking some sill guards on for the next 7 years / 100,000 miles.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Any mods you do to your Jeep will be used as ammunition for the dealers to deny your warranty claim. So I hope you aren't planning to do anything more than sticking some sill guards on for the next 7 years / 100,000 miles.
I’m not. Only bolt on stuff like bumpers and steps, or Mopar parts installed by my dealer.
Sponsored