Extended bump stops

JWT5

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL
I just bought a mopar 2 inch kit for my 18 jlur. What would be the negative things that happen if I don’t install the bump stop extensions. Guessing shocks could bottom out. But will it happen with this kit?
Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
No, your shocks will not bottom out because their extended length and compressed length is better than the stock shocks.

If it concerns you then loosen the shock at the bottom mount, measure the shock length from top to bottom, compress the shock with your hands and measure the compressed length. Subtract the two measurements from each other, measure the length from the top bump stop (The metal and not rubber) to the strike pad at the bittom. You want your shock measurement to be longer than that of the top to bottom of the bump stop then your shocks will not bottom out.

But, extended bump stops are not only to prevent shocks from over extending or compress beyond their limit, they are also needed for bigger wheels to prevent the uptravel of the wheel making contact with the top of the wheel well.

What size wheels do you have?

OP
OP

JWT5

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL
I am planning on 37x1250. Guess once get it all on will see if need them

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd put them in. The Mopar lift doesn't have a lot of total travel. With factory 33's, you'll risk damaging the shocks by hammering them fully compressed. With 37's, the tires will eat some parts, while other parts will eat the tires. No reason for not having proper bump stop spacing.
Sponsored