Sponsored

Exhaust w/ flapper valve

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
My last 2 cars have exhaust flapper valve available either stock or aftermarket. The idea is you can open up the sound if you like, or keep the flapper close so it's quiet.

Anyone know if there are aftermarket exhaust for JLU where it's possible to do that?
Sponsored

MTM1974

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD; 2020 WK2 on Order

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Swell, a $179.10 toy so you can make more noise, piss off your neighbors, and negatively affect your vehicle's performance. Similar to some Harley riders who put straight drag pipes on their sleds. It significantly degrades performance, but it's oh so cool when you're sonic drag racing at a stoplight.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
My last 2 cars have exhaust flapper valve available either stock or aftermarket. The idea is you can open up the sound if you like, or keep the flapper close so it's quiet.

Anyone know if there are aftermarket exhaust for JLU where it's possible to do that?
It's called an exhaust cutout. Some are electronic and some are manual. As the others have said, very few people will actually want to hear you and the rest will curse you... just like when people pull out their kid's photos or talk about their kids with others who don't care.

Plus any jackass can make the exhaust louder even on a moped. V6, I6 and I4 engines don't have exhaust that sound that desirable anyway and you are not gaining any real power or torque if any.

The V6 Pentastar makes a much better, deep, induction noise that's actually nice to listen to when you floor it and at other times it's quiet as usual. All you need to do is swap out the intake, which is a much easier and quickky reversible process compared to exhaust mods.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Dynomax had a muffler on the market called the VT and it had a spring loaded flapper valve inside that would give you quiet cruising with zero drone inside the Jeep, but would open up and get loud (and flow a lot more air) at WOT. It was a great idea, but it didn't work well in the real world and after about 5 years they pulled it off the market. I had one that failed and I could tell when it failed because the truck got loud and stayed loud.

There is another company that makes a similar design, but you manually open/close it with an adjustment on the muffler. This should be a more durable design that will last longer, but it's not automatic. You have to decide when to open it and when to close it.

As far as "pissing off the neighbors" goes...if you have neighbors that are so prissy and yuppie and uptight that they'd get their underwear in a bunch over a vehicle with a louder exhaust note, they you probably need to move to a new area because living around those types of people sucks anyway.

As far as "negatively impacting performance" goes, an engine is basically an air pump. More air in and out equals more power, not less. A byproduct of making more power is making more noise. It's unavoidable.

Normally I would never put an aftermarket exhaust on anything except a V8 because honestly they just sound terrible. But the JL Pentastar with a flow through exhaust reminds me a lot of a Nissan 370Z Nismo. Very cool, racy, performance kind of sound.

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I wonder why this concept is so hard for the aftermarket to get right. There are so many of these in OEM applications. They work really well and you can mod them to go "On/Off" on demand.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
As far as "pissing off the neighbors" goes...if you have neighbors that are so prissy and yuppie and uptight that they'd get their underwear in a bunch over a vehicle with a louder exhaust note, they you probably need to move to a new area because living around those types of people sucks anyway.
Being "prissy and yuppie and uptight" has nothing to do with it, but common courtesy does. Whether it's an obnoxious unmuffled or unbaffled exhaust or a booming subwoofer that assaults the ears from a hundred yards away, the vehicle operator is being a disrespectful, irresponsible jerk, especially in a residential neighborhood and especially at all hours of the day and night. It has no place on the street.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
When it's 3 am, your 1 year old is teething, you finally asleep and have to get up early in the morning for work, you'll love to hear your neighbor coming home.

When the birds, fleeing the nests full with hungry chicks because of extremely loud vehicles, (yes, they do) you are a real Jeeper who loves nature and camping.

OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
When it's 3 am, your 1 year old is teething, you finally asleep and have to get up early in the morning for work, you'll love to hear your neighbor coming home.

When the birds, fleeing the nests full with hungry chicks because of extremely loud vehicles, (yes, they do) you are a real Jeeper who loves nature and camping.
I think that's the idea I think why having some type of control would be good, so you only want it louder when time allows. My last car was the M235i, the stock exhaust in sport mode is still very quiet, the newer 911 have that as well. Here is a company which build exhaust with that feature for other cars: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=porsche+valvetronic+exhaust

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
I think that's the idea I think why having some type of control would be good, so you only want it louder when time allows. My last car was the M235i, the stock exhaust in sport mode is still very quiet, the newer 911 have that as well. Here is a company which build exhaust with that feature for other cars: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=porsche+valvetronic+exhaust
I understand your point. But who wants to hear your unnecessary loud exhaust? Ask yourself that.

Sponsored

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
Wow.....just going to wander over to the magnaflow threads and see if everyone looking at those is getting ripped on just as hard as you are.

ONLY MOD YOUR JEEP HOW THE COMMUNITY LIKES SIR OR YOU WILL BE SHUNNED! :giggle:

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Plus any jackass can make the exhaust louder even on a moped. V6, I6 and I4 engines don't have exhaust that sound that desirable anyway and you are not gaining any real power or torque if any.
There are gains, but they're generally achieved at WOT and with engine rpms at or near redline. Like on a racetrack or dragstrip.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
ONLY MOD YOUR JEEP HOW THE COMMUNITY LIKES SIR OR YOU WILL BE SHUNNED! :giggle:
This is not one of those times. If your mods offend those who do not care and are minding their own business, you need a mental health evaluation.

Don't be like one of these:

In case you can't find the connection, it's no different to having a obnoxiously loud bike.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
This is where those systems that play engine noise over the stereo are useful, on a jeep where there's zero performance benefit and nobody wants to hear it.

I have a race exhaust on my sports car as I used to track and autox it, but now that it's mostly street driven it's just loud and obnoxious. It actually served a purpose on that car and I still don't like it.

Globexradice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 jk
If you wanted something like that check out quick time performance. They have or are about to release a jl setup. They did the prototype on ours. Ours has the wireless setup and is controlled by a controller on our keychain. Also is hooked up to the garage door opener if you wanted to use that. Closed it sounds smooth and crisp. Not to loud which is what I like. If you open it up its noticeable.
Sponsored