Valve Cover Oil Leak

Chrismc74

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary Wrangler JLU
I didn’t. But I believe it is on the passenger side on the back half of the engine. Will have to research it. A coworker of mine told me if you remove the oil cap after driving a bit and if you hear air escaping then check the PVC valve.
And then again, for a part that is so cheap that protects so much. I would replace it once a year.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I didn’t. But I believe it is on the passenger side on the back half of the engine. Will have to research it. A coworker of mine told me if you remove the oil cap after driving a bit and if you hear air escaping then check the PVC valve.
And then again, for a part that is so cheap that protects so much. I would replace it once a year.
Once a year is just ridiculous. It’s a pain in the ass to access and frequent replacement is wholly unnecessary.

Chrismc74

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but if it gives you peace of mind. And the part is $25?
The first time the valve cover gasket and the oxygen sensors were replaced for me. I had to lay out $1100 because every dealer on Long Island was booked three months in advance I couldn’t get it anywhere. And Jeep said they will reimburse me as long as I submitted receipts. And then they denied me.
So if doing routine, maintenance and replacing a PVC valve once a year or ever two years keeps you running. I say do it. If not at least inspect it to see it really needs to be replaced.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
True, but if it gives you peace of mind. And the part is $25?
The first time the valve cover gasket and the oxygen sensors were replaced for me. I had to lay out $1100 because every dealer on Long Island was booked three months in advance I couldn’t get it anywhere. And Jeep said they will reimburse me as long as I submitted receipts. And then they denied me.
So if doing routine, maintenance and replacing a PVC valve once a year or ever two years keeps you running. I say do it. If not at least inspect it to see it really needs to be replaced.
It likely won’t, because there is zero evidence that crankcase pressure is causing these particular leaks.

Chrismc74

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my Jeep back today after ten days. And this is what the dealership found wrong with it.
If the PVC valve is supposed to alleviate the pressure of the crank case. I would say to be proactive and at leased check it out. I see Jeep going out of their way to help the few of us who are having this problem right away.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I just got my Jeep back today after ten days. And this is what the dealership found wrong with it.
If the PVC valve is supposed to alleviate the pressure of the crank case. I would say to be proactive and at leased check it out. I see Jeep going out of their way to help the few of us who are having this problem right away.
That’s just the line that they have been told to tell you, they don’t do any testing, just replacing batches of parts.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Once a year is just ridiculous. It’s a pain in the ass to access and frequent replacement is wholly unnecessary.
I have a new one to replace mine, but couldn't get the original to turn and ran out of time so I'll have to do it another day.

It is indeed in a bad place to access and leverage.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I have a new one to replace mine, but couldn't get the original to turn and ran out of time so I'll have to do it another day.

It is indeed in a bad place to access and leverage.
It sucks. Updating to the new / better part number makes sense but frequent replacement is certainly not needed.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It sucks. Updating to the new / better part number makes sense but frequent replacement is certainly not needed.
Do you know offhand what the new number is? I want to check the one I bought to confirm.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I wonder if we should just pull the seal and put it back in with some high temp RTV? That's what I ended up doing on some of the seals on my 2006 mini cooper -- a BMW made car which leaks from every single seal.
Sponsored