Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Our 2020 JLUS and JLUR both have the 2.0T and the ess works fine on both. I make sure I lift my foot off the brake then hit the gas pedal so it has time to start smoothly. Maybe it doesn’t save a lot of gas, but I feel a little better not idly polluting the air. Not a tree hugger by any stretch, but I feel it helps a little.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I think that is a better reason to use it than fuel savings.
An individual person saving a gallon of fuel over the course of a month (and I'm being generous) isn't going to affect their bottom line. Nobody will notice that individually. However, on a large scale it can be significant. If hundreds of people save 1 gallon a month, we've saved hundreds of gallons of fuel and the associated emissions Do that over the course of a year, and we're getting somewhere. THAT is something worth while. Auto makers should market it that way rather than trying to sell me on the idea of it saving me fuel or money.
I'm not what one would consider a tree hugger either, but I try to be environmentally conscious. I recycle, I tread lightly (hiking or driving), and I try not to be wasteful. I guess this is a small thing I can do to try to make a smaller environmental impact. Thanks for the perspective John.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I want to say that I heard it's much quieter on the 2.0?
My 2.0 Turbo E-Torque doesn't make a sound. I can feel it stop and when it restarts but no sound. I really don't like ESS. I find myself turning off more and more. The gas savings cannot be that much. The Red lights here are not long at all and I really don't idle long anywhere. I have always been the type that I see Red light ahead I take the foot off gas and coast and I don't end up sitting long at lights. I see drivers speed toward Red light and slam on brakes. They crack me up. Like where do they think they are going other than to the Auto center for new brake shoes. My kids are grown now but as teens, they made fun of Ole Dad but now that they realize paying for brakes repair they slow down now. Sometimes Ole Dad's maybe Old but seen few things along the way. :);):like::jk:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
It's not. I've been doing some research, and math on this. It turns out you'll burn about 0.25 gallons (or less) for every hour of idle time (assuming 3.6L and 2.0L).
Traffic signals will typically be red from 15-90 seconds depending on the area, traffic volume, etc, giving us an average red time of 52 seconds (0.0144 hours) or 69 red signals per hour.
If you burn the high end of 0.25 gallons per hour, and you sit at a red signal for 52 seconds (0.0144 hours), you'll burn 0.0036 gallons of fuel at the signal.
To check it, multiply by 69 red signals, gives you .2484 (rounding/truncating difference) gallons per hour.

So to burn 1 gallon of fuel at idle, you need to sit for 4 hours, which is 276 red signals.

Keep in mind that's assuming you sat for the entire signal duration, you're at the high end of consumption (3.6L) and that the red took 52 seconds each. I know around here the signals are typically MUCH shorter than that, so in rural areas you'll have to sit for a lot more signals to burn a single gallon of fuel. Tell me again FCA how this feature is saving me gas? I still like the environmental angle better. That I can get on board with, cost savings, not so much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it doesn’t save a lot of gas, but I feel a little better not idly polluting the air. Not a tree hugger by any stretch, but I feel it helps a little.
Same here. At first I hated ESS. But then I got used to it.

Now when I stop at a light and the engine shuts off, it kind of takes away some of the guilt.

Perhaps that’s all it’s good for...
Sponsored