ESS Functioning Properly?

JayPear5

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hey everyone. Looking for some help. I have a 2020 3.6 JLU Willys and want to see if my ESS is functioning correctly. When stopped at a stoplight and the engine is disabled, upon pressing the gas pedal to drive, the engine makes a very audible start as if it were turned over with a key to start the engine.

Another friend that I have asked that has a 2019 Wrangler and a family with a Grand Cherokee with ESS say that their ESS is very silent when it re-engages the engine.

Is this normal on the 2020's? Or should it not sound like a cold start?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yep, I get WTF look because people think I turned off my Jeep:giggle: I'm so used to it now that's it's no big deal:like:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
It's normal. ESS is shutting off the engine when you stop. So it is, in essence, a cold start. Granted, the engine is warm because it's only been off for a few seconds, but it sounds like you're starting the engine with the key because it's the exact same start up. The only difference is you don't have to turn the engine off/on manually every time, the computer does it for you.
I'm not sure why your friend is saying the Grand Cherokee is silent when it restarts. I've been beside them in traffic and it sounds exactly the same as any other start up. Maybe they've got their radio blasting, or they're just hating on you Wrangler.

OP
OP

JayPear5

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Yep, I get WTF look because people think I turned off my Jeep:giggle: I'm so used to it now that's it's no big deal:like:
Exactly! It's just weird that on other years/models the ESS seems much quieter and more smooth. Doesn't make a lot of sense how they took a step back in that regard.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Exactly! It's just weird that on other years/models the ESS seems much quieter and more smooth. Doesn't make a lot of sense how they took a step back in that regard.
I want to say that I heard it's much quieter on the 2.0?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
ESS should be kicking in when you release the brake, not when you hit the gas.

Perhaps you are hitting the gas pedal too quickly? You may be pressing the throttle just as the engine is starting, giving the drive-train an unnecessarily harsher jolt.

The ESS on my V6 is quiet. But when I am at a traffic light, I have learned to take my sweet time to allow ESS to react and do its thing.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
....When taking off at a traffic light, I have learned to take my sweet time to allow ESS to wake up and do its thing.
I just turn it off. I hate it. How much fuel is it really saving me, a gallon a year? I'll spend the extra $3 and not adjust my driving.
I guess it makes sense for people who live in the city where they spend a lot of time idle at traffic lights and stuff, but to me it's just a gimmick that car companies use to boost their epa ratings. It probably does a lot of good under lab conditions, but not so much for where/how I drive.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Hey everyone. Looking for some help. I have a 2020 3.6 JLU Willys and want to see if my ESS is functioning correctly. When stopped at a stoplight and the engine is disabled, upon pressing the gas pedal to drive, the engine makes a very audible start as if it were turned over with a key to start the engine.

Another friend that I have asked that has a 2019 Wrangler and a family with a Grand Cherokee with ESS say that their ESS is very silent when it re-engages the engine.

Is this normal on the 2020's? Or should it not sound like a cold start?
Lucky it restarted

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The ESS is pretty quiet on m
I just turn it off. I hate it. How much fuel is it really saving me, a gallon a year? I'll spend the extra $3 and not adjust my driving.
I guess it makes sense for people who live in the city where they spend a lot of time idle at traffic lights and stuff, but to me it's just a gimmick that car companies use to boost their epa ratings. It probably does a lot of good under lab conditions, but not so much for where/how I drive.
FWIW, awhile back Car and Driver figured out ESS saved a whopping 0.1% in fuel consumption on their BMW and Mercedes test vehicles.

The main reason I leave ESS on is because it doesn’t bother me anymore. Besides, the stupid Travel Link Weather Alert has me pressing that screen every 5 minutes; I don’t want to be pressing any more buttons if I don’t have to.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. You mean you don't care that a storm is coming, and your Jeep is telling you about it. :CWL:

Seriously though, I've considered a Taser so I don't have to push the button either. However I don't hate ESS so much that I'm willing to spend $100+ to turn it off, or not have to push the button.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
John, that's freaking hilarious.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha. You mean you don't care that a storm is coming, and your Jeep is telling you about it. :CWL:

Seriously though, I've considered a Taser so I don't have to push the button either. However I don't hate ESS so much that I'm willing to spend $100+ to turn it off, or not have to push the button.
Yes, I too am thinking about getting a Tazer just to disable that annoying Travel Link app.

Ironically, SiriusXM created that useless Travel Link app to extract more money from customers. But I’ll bet Tazer is the one really raking in the money...
Sponsored