First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
:headbang::headbang:
Holy S8751234T man AND you're going back to Jeep for more..... you Sadomasochistic freak!!!

Seriously though, good luck man and I feel a good portion of your pain.... I really do :/
It's a really good thing that the Bronco is not out yet lol but seriously what are the chances of a 3rd engine bad.. probably about as likely as 2.
:fingerscrossed::headbang:
Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's a really good thing that the Bronco is not out yet lol but seriously what are the chances of a 3rd engine bad.. probably about as likely as 2.
Stop at go, you have gone above and beyond most and you are owed a new vehicle in return.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Thatā€™d be quite the performance of mental gymnastics to relate a bumper/winch and sliders to engine deficiencies lol. Dealership sounds like theyā€™re trying to scare you out of taking it in. They have your history with that vehicle though, Iā€™d press them for fixing it.
agreed....quite a leap

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
PHUCQUE BRONCO....you'll see piece of typical Ford crap

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
PHUCQUE BRONCO....you'll see piece of typical Ford crap
That's what the lol and seriously was about. Absolutely no plans of changing sides. Setting around 30K on new engine 77K on the rest just getting broken in now!

Sponsored

JSR1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
First Engine lasted about 40K miles before ticking was loud enough for the dealer to inspect. Dealer was great in getting the whole engine replaced as there was metal everywhere in the engine. It did take almost a month for replacement but did get it back in time to make our ski trip.. it was the last week Colorado ski resorts were still open to public. Engine ran great had O2 sensor issue but was able to reset and was good to go.

I now have 3500 miles on the NEW Engine and 2k was from ski trip. It has started ticking and getting louder! I know the previous generation of 3.6 had valve train issues what are the chances of two engines having bad cam/lifter issues.

Dealer said a Chrysler employee would have to inspect it again, but warned me having the aftermarket bumper/Winch and Rockslide engineering sliders they could void warranty. @JeepCares is this possible to void my warranty with aftermarket bumper and sliders???

Has anyone had a problem with warranty work voided with bumper slider or tire upgrade?
The valve lifter/rocker Pentastar issue is real and much more common when searched online it seems than others are saying here. Mine started making driver side engine ticking noise in rear or close to driver side of the cam area. Now they say I need both valve trains replaced on both sides..! 158K miles, another jku with 149k miles is in the dealer for same issue.. $$OUCH

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
The valve lifter/rocker Pentastar issue is real and much more common when searched online it seems than others are saying here. Mine started making driver side engine ticking noise in rear or close to driver side of the cam area. Now they say I need both valve trains replaced on both sides..! 158K miles, another jku with 149k miles is in the dealer for same issue.. $$OUCH
If caught early, itā€™s an easy fix, which doesnā€™t require the entire valve train or head to be replaced. Itā€™s literally $20 in parts.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If caught early, itā€™s an easy fix, which doesnā€™t require the entire valve train or head to be replaced. Itā€™s literally $20 in parts.
and 900 dollars labor...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
and 900 dollars labor...
Iā€™ve done the job myself on 2 different Jeeps. A skilled mechanic should be able to do it in a couple of hours easy. The driver side is more complex because the intake has to come off. If so, itā€™s also a good time to replace the spark plugs.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Iā€™ve done the job myself on 2 different Jeeps. A skilled mechanic should be able to do it in a couple of hours easy. The driver side is more complex because the intake has to come off. If so, itā€™s also a good time to replace the spark plugs.
"I can do it myself for cheaper"
Of course you can. But, 99% of people simply can't do this job. They'll take the engine out of time removing camshafts and end up much worse off than before, or they won't even make it that far. For the average consumer, this is a thousand dollar job to do one head.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
"I can do it myself for cheaper"
Of course you can. But, 99% of people simply can't do this job. They'll take the engine out of time removing camshafts and end up much worse off than before, or they won't even make it that far. For the average consumer, this is a thousand dollar job to do one head.
If you take it to the dealer, sure. Find someone who knows Pentastar engines who is honest and capable, and itā€™s a few hundred bucks. You donā€™t even have to remove the camshafts in most cases.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
If you take it to the dealer, sure. Find someone who knows Pentastar engines who is honest and capable, and itā€™s a few hundred bucks.
It is a 6 hour job. You're paying at minimum 700 at a competent shop if they are able to simply replace rocker arms and lifters. The cams are almost always trashed by the time people are aware of the noise. That's another 300. Not everyone knows "a guy" who will do it in his backyard for a case of beer.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
It is a 6 hour job. You're paying at minimum 700 at a competent shop if they are able to simply replace rocker arms and lifters. The cams are almost always trashed by the time people are aware of the noise. That's another 300. Not everyone knows "a guy" who will do it in his backyard for a case of beer.
They should find a guy, and figure out what kind of beer he likes.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
Come on man. That's not a realistic answer.
Look, I was just trying to be helpful by providing insight, and relaying my own experience with the Pentastar tick. I didnā€™t know anything about it until I experienced it, researched it, and repaired it. It might cost someone $1,000, but it also might be repaired for much less. People should know there are options, and just because it happens doesnā€™t mean itā€™s catastrophic. What can I say, Iā€™m an optimistā€¦
Sponsored