Sponsored

Electrical help

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Hey guys. 2021 Wrangler Willys here, with some strange issues. Recently did new headlights, fenders, bumper. Installed aftermarket stereo a few months back. My way in to work today, I had no power steering, battery stayed around 11.6 volts and that screen was red, code P0480 (Radiator fan). When I got to work I pulled it inside to troubleshoot, and like magic everything was working fine. Went to pull it outside about an hour ago, and everything was back. No power steering electrical system not charging right. I had it running while I looked things over, and it overheated. Can't find any blown fuses, pulled negative cables to reset computer etc. Any ideas before I pay the dealer since I've done electrical modifications?
Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Don’t know if this will fix the problem but it’s something to check. Did you check the fuse box under the hood? My JL and quite a few others found the fuses under the hood were not seated fully. Just give them a little push.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Don’t know if this will fix the problem but it’s something to check. Did you check the fuse box under the hood? My JL and quite a few others found the fuses under the hood were not seated fully. Just give them a little push.
Appreciate the suggestion, I checked this last night. All fuses were loose, none solved the problem. I never made it home in the jeep last night. About 45 minutes in voltage started dropping and the transmission started malfunction. Vehicle is currently in a Walmart parking lot until I can either arrange to have it towed to the dealer or it catches fire and burns down. I'd be fine with either option at this point.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Appreciate the suggestion, I checked this last night. All fuses were loose, none solved the problem. I never made it home in the jeep last night. About 45 minutes in voltage started dropping and the transmission started malfunction. Vehicle is currently in a Walmart parking lot until I can either arrange to have it towed to the dealer or it catches fire and burns down. I'd be fine with either option at this point.
Sorry you’re having trouble with it. I had some engine trouble around 2k miles. Had to wait for parts at the time because there were none available. Hopefully they can diagnose and fix it quickly.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Dealership had it all day, however the battery is too low to troubleshoot, and apparently they had to order a new battery...Off to a great start. Back to the old trust subaru legacy for now.

Sponsored

Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Sounds like an alternator if your battery voltage is getting down to 11.6. The low voltage could cause all kinds of alarms and conditions.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
when you installed the aftermarket stereo, did you leave the inline fuse supplied with the kit?

if you left out that fuse, and have it hardwired to the battery with no fuse... and the wire is shorting to the ground somewhere along the line, it will either start a fire or cause symptoms like you are describing. a severe voltage drop.

the fact that it comes and goes almost points to a wire shorting, without a fuse that could blow to protect the rest of the electrical system.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
So I still have the stock head unit, DSR1 and multiple amps/speakers all of which have a fuse, 4 fuses total in the amp power wires. I also disconnected the amps when testing and the situation remained unchanged.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Dealer hasn't figured out the problem yet, and are already pushing that I'll probably be paying out of pocket.

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
So they finally figured it out. The rail next to the fuse box (looks like ground to me) had a loose nut and wasn't making a tight connection.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear it was fixed for free but what was their logic in warning you'd be paying out of pocket? They couldn't find a code or resolve in 15 minutes so it must be your fault? You touched it so you must have broke it?

OP
OP
LSguy

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Yeah he said "with so many mods there's a good chance this won't be covered under warranty ". Fender Flares, headlights, new front bumper, new speakers. Seems very lightly modded to me for a jeep lol.
Sponsored