ECU update = much more responsive throttle and MT fixes

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Hey all, Today I brought my 2018 JLUR 3.6L 6speed in for the recalls to be addressed. I also asked (and paid) for them to update all of the software in the jeep.

I picked it up later on and Wow! I had to relearn how to drive it. The throttle is now very sensitive. Off idle it now revs quickly at the slightest touch, so much that I slipped my clutch the first time from a stoplight. Also, when releasing the throttle, the rev hang is gone and the engine decelerates instantly, so much that I lurched forward the first couple of times.

It also looks like they fixed the below idle rpm drop that happens when clutching or shifting into neutral. This I am super happy about because it's been the cause of constant light knock every time that the rpm would drop below idle when coasting to a stop light.

In any case, I wish that my dealer didn't demand $100 to perform simple firmware updates... but I do believe that it was worth it. If anything, it will save me the cost of buying a throttle commander.
Sponsored

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
I also get the slight knock from second to third. Has been bugging the crap out of me. Is there a specific software update for that

OP
OP
redracer

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
the only reference to it on the invoice is "Customer requests to have all modules updated to latest software" and "Completed, Updated PCM, ABS, and ESP".

Tho, now that I think about it, I did ask them to also update the radio for random issues and HVAC module to address the TSB about hot air blowing. I will have to call them again...

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Is your jeep no longer under warranty? These sound like updates that should happen free of charge.

OP
OP
redracer

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Is your jeep no longer under warranty? These sound like updates that should happen free of charge.
No, I'm a little over 38,000 miles. I do have the lifetime Mopar warranty, but their computer said that the tsb updates are not covered.
Sponsored