First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I saw on all the press releases that Selec-trak will not be available with the ecodiesel. This is problematic for me. Are there any options for swapping in a full time t-case? An AMC np242 would be fantastic, as would the torsen based option out of a commander.
Anybody have any idea on the feasibility of such an undertaking?
Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Feasible? Maybe, steal all the parts from a wrecked JL though no accounting for computer complaints.

But...why?

When you get down to it most all the full time 4wd systems really pale in comparison to proper 4wd systems. Often due to differentials built into the transfer case and clutches used to slip in torque to the front axle.

Look up how often ram 1500s with the auto 4wd fail due to over heated clutches trying to send power to the front wheels even when in "4 lock".

There's a reason Jeep isn't doing it. I'd chalk it up to the same reason they won't do a manual. What's specced behind the gas won't stand up to the diesel and they are too lazy to find and source a proper solution so they just nix the option.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Why? How is this problematic is any way? The wrangler was never even offered with the inferior 4wd option until the JL and everyone did just fine without it. It was brought to the market for one reason, and one reason only - soccer moms.

Last edited:

Jeremi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKUR 5.7VVT
I’ve often thought the NP242 was the absolute perfect T case, throw some of the H1 upgrades into for strength and it does it all. Zero clutches and FT and PT capability

OP
OP
OilBurnerHoldOut

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
Our roads are twisty, and mostly hills. Rwd has issues getting up these hills without the rear sliding off the road. Full time 4x4 has to be shifted into, and out of 4x4 constantly, and if your timing is off your gonna slide too, or bind up your drive train. My zj, with the np242 was the most predictable ride we had around here in winter conditions. Plus, I never had an issue with premature ujoint failure, or skidding around the turn at the crest of a hill.
None of the zj, xj, or liberty owners I've known who had a 242 have had any problems with that t-case. I've only met one commander owner who had problems, and his was his rear diff, not his t-case.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
WK2 diesel had the MP3023 full time transfer case

JL uses MP3022

So really the question should be what makes them so different that the MP3023 couldn’t be used in Wrangler?

My guess is it has to do with the fancy electronic rear diff in WK2 vs the traditional pumpkin in JL
Sponsored